Internal MA in Manhattan, NY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal MA in Manhattan, NY?

can any of you suggest some IMA teachers (and if known, their website or contact info) in Manhattan? much obliged.

Don't expect a lot of replies, not many people here do IMA

PL

Comment

I can't recommend specific programs, but, look into Tom Bisio. While Sifu/Guro Bisio is not, to the best of my knowledge, currently teaching, I know that he has students who do run programs. Bisio was top notch as an IMA person who could throwdown. I expect any student certified to teach by him will be capible of the same high standards.

- Matt
      Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
      Kali, & what ever works
      Renaissance Martial Arts
      Rochester, NY

Comment

sifu bisio is teaching classes (in a mo kwoon that i know very well, in fact i was looking at those oversized bagua swords of his just this afternoon, and wondering how the hell you're supposed to use it.)

however i am not sure if they are "open" classes or not. i will find out what the story is.

i have heard good things about william c.c. chen's tai chi. he has trained a bunch of very good full contact fighters. http://www.williamccchen.com/

also heard good things about c.k. chu, also has trained full contact fighters. http://www.chutaichi.com/
        "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
        "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
        "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
        "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
          sifu bisio is teaching classes (in a mo kwoon that i know very well, in fact i was looking at those oversized bagua swords of his just this afternoon, and wondering how the hell you're supposed to use it.)

however i am not sure if they are "open" classes or not. i will find out what the story is.

i have heard good things about william c.c. chen's tai chi. he has trained a bunch of very good full contact fighters. http://www.williamccchen.com/

also heard good things about c.k. chu, also has trained full contact fighters. http://www.chutaichi.com/
          thanks, I'm actually planning on checking out ck chu's place and probably should chen's as well.

can you give me any suggestions as far as going to these schools for self defense as opposed to the other 2 IMA's (baugauzhan and xingyiquan)?

I used to figure that the tai chi style was more for health, with a secondary benefit of self defense.

Comment

stuff
            In other news, Ming Loyalsit IS alive!

Comment

That's awesome to hear. As and far as anything with a blade, Sifu Bisio will figure a way to use it (you don't do all of those years of FMA for nothing).

But I've kinda wondered about that too.

- Matt
              Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
              Kali, & what ever works
              Renaissance Martial Arts
              Rochester, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Yo Yo
                thanks, I'm actually planning on checking out ck chu's place and probably should chen's as well.

can you give me any suggestions as far as going to these schools for self defense as opposed to the other 2 IMA's (baugauzhan and xingyiquan)?

I used to figure that the tai chi style was more for health, with a secondary benefit of self defense.
                i don't know of any good ba gua/xing yi teachers in nyc other than tom bisio, but that's only cause i only know him, and he happens to be legendary. i could ask around... i will have to ask about his classes and who can take them when i see my sifu tomorrow.

as far as doing tai chi for self defense, i think that chu and chen are the only two that i know of in manhattan who train full contact fighters. their guys do very well in lei tai and san shou, so i think they can fight.

there's a guy on this board who studies some sort of taich/bagua/xingyi mix called yi chuan... he posts under "revolution fist" and he knows how to fight. you might ask him to get in touch with his teacher.

Originally posted by Johhny Cache
                In other news, Ming Loyalsit IS alive!
                yeah, sort of. if you can call it life when you can't spar.

torn rotator cuffs suck ass. take my advice: don't hold pads for huge guys if you're not also huge. tap when getting kimura'd in training... ego gets you injured, also if they aren't hurt yet, do rotator cuff excercises with dumbells and strengthen those fuckers ahead of time.
                "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X