ancient tools for modern problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancient tools for modern problems

the morons in violent demonstrations at the G8 meeting have been popping up on the news a bit lately, and so have the police trying to stop them.

what i found really interesting was their formations and shield and baton combinations.

pwned!!

but yeah, i was just impressed by how similar these are to ancient weapons (especially sword and shield) and tactics.

does anyone know why some of these police have round shields instead of the larger rectangular ones? my guess is that they are more mobile.

check this out:

http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2005/01/708695.php

if you look a few pictures down, someone decided they would pad up, make their own shield and take the police head on! it didn't seem to work out too well.

[img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

A Roman legion could kick their ass.

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
        A Roman legion could kick their ass.
        Originally posted by Matt Phillips
        Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

Just the other day I was campaigning in Gaul with Legio XIII Gemina.

Comment

i should point out that not all those pictures are from the G8 summit. i had trouble finding many which were exclusively from there, so i found other pics of riot police using the same equipment. G8 protests were the first time i had seen round shields being used though.

Comment

i have seen both rectangular and round shields used at G8 on the news... i think i may have seen combinations of them used too, but i can't quite remember.

maybe round shield is more of a one on one thing, while the larger shields are better at making a wall. i'd imagine they are better for taking missiles too.

Comment

I taught a weedy person how to trip choke and headbutt people so he could fight off coppers!

SMASH THE STATE!
                What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

If they were to attach stun guns to the end of poles they could use the phalanyx. Un-fucking-stoppable.

Unless you have cavalry and missile weapons, use hit and run tactics, or flank them.

Comment

I know one thing for sure: A roman phalanx would look GOOD smashing into those protestors. That's like, when you're doing community theatre, and you have a co-star that really helps you shine, like, look GOOD, you know?

Comment

Fuck all this college bullshit. I'm becoming a riot officer!

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                        Unless you have cavalry and missile weapons,
                        Horses won't charge spears and arrow won't stop a phalanx; the arrows can't get through the raised spears, the shields, and the armor.

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
                          Just the other day I was campaigning in Gaul with Legio XIII Gemina.
                          I stand corrected.
                          Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

Originally posted by danno
                            i have seen both rectangular and round shields used at G8 on the news... i think i may have seen combinations of them used too, but i can't quite remember.

maybe round shield is more of a one on one thing, while the larger shields are better at making a wall. i'd imagine they are better for taking missiles too.
                            I don't think they make a distinction when making a shield wall. You can clearly see them making the wall with the round shileds. Possibly they're not standardized and each station/department gets them from the lowest bidder?

Comment

Originally posted by hapkido_keith
                              I don't think they make a distinction when making a shield wall. You can clearly see them making the wall with the round shileds.
                              yes, but you'll notice that there are greater openings for missiles to get through with round shields... i don't really know, but i'd say different shields serve different purposes.

Originally posted by hapkido_keith
                              Possibly they're not standardized and each station/department gets them from the lowest bidder?
                              i'm not sure i understand you. do you mean that money might not be spread evenly across different station/departments? i don't think this would be the case. even if it was, the price difference between round and rectangle shouldn't be very great.

hopefully there is someone with some info who can set us straight, i'm really interested to know.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X