I made a grappling dummy yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a grappling dummy yesterday

With very little to do yesterday, I took upon the challenge of making a grappling dummy without spending a cent.

Using old clothes, pillows, a few water bottles, a ton of duct tape and modifiying instructions found here: http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/index.htm (under original grappling dummy) I (with lots of help from a friend) have created something that one might actually mistake for a dummy.

Here's where I really wish I had a digital camera. This thing looks ridiculous. I didn't have enough clothes to fully stuff the legs, so this thing has stumps covered in duct tape. On the other hand, we did the arms first so this thing looks a bit like an orangutang. It can independently sit on it's knees (stumps) so it works just fine for everything except leg locks.

It weighs about 25 pounds and from head to toe is about 4 feet tall. I have tried some basic subs and sweep on this guy and I have so say that 25 lbs of all dead weight, although not nearly as hard to work with as a real person can give a pretty good workout. I'm sure that a really grappling dummy is much better, but for not a single penny spent on my part...I'm damn pleased with the results.

I'll write up more of the creation process if any interest is expressed. I'll also see about borrowing a digital camera if at all possible. I'd need at least a few more days to tell if it is truly worth your while, but at this point if you have a lot of old clothes you don't like...seems to be worth it.

You get clothes, pillows, water bottles, and assloads of duct tape for free? Awesome.

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
      You get clothes, pillows, water bottles, and assloads of duct tape for free? Awesome.

PL
      Don't you?
      Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that kickboxing is commonly known as fighting while grappling simply isn't. - Osiris

Comment

A guy at my school made the grappling dummy 2 that is shown on that website.

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/grappled2.html

He followed that exact instruction set. It turned out pretty well.
        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy Jazz
          It weighs about 25 pounds and from head to toe is about 4 feet tall.
          Should be great if you ever decide to take up midget wrestling.

Comment

On the moon.

PL

EDIT: Seriously, put some rocks in there to make it weigh more. A gust of wind can knock over a 25lb dummy.

Comment

With very little to do yesterday, I took upon the challenge of making a grappling dummy without spending a cent.
              When I first read this, I thought you were bragging about kicking my but on the mat!

Comment

Okay, I guess I deserve the guff for poor phrasing. I didn't have to go out and buy anything to make this. Most of the shirts/clothes I used were old and didn't fit me anymore. Others I just plain don't like, bad gifts and so on. At some point, yes I had to spend money on most of these things. One of the pillows I made in a home ec class, and a few things my friend volunteered.

Punchingdummy, I'm flattered you'd think I could. You dominated me when we rolled.

25lbs is pretty light to start, but no knowing how well it would work I wasn't sure that I wanted to build something that could crush me. I plan on getting it up to about 50 - 60 lbs or so. Still light, but considering it's all dead weight and I'm a shrimp (140), it'll probably be fine.

Any ideas for a cheap way to put some more weight in this thing?

Comment

Punchingdummy, I'm flattered you'd think I could.
                  You will. It's just a matter of time. :new_smile

Comment

You could use a Realdoll and fill it with lead pellets. Ewww...

Comment

Any ideas for a cheap way to put some more weight in this thing?
                      Sand.

Comment

Originally posted by oldman_withers
                        You could use a Realdoll and fill it with lead pellets. Ewww...
                        USE THE FUCKING NSFW ICON ASSHOLE! jk
                        Thats really damned wierd.......

Comment

Hey, if anybody wants to buy me one of those dolls, I'll umm... write up a review about how good of a ahh... wrestling dummy it is.

PL

Comment

yeah..me too...
                            No seriously though, I think Imight make my own grappling dummy out of wood for the torso or something, just get hinge joints, and screw on caps or blockers or whatever the word is.

Comment

I'll just find a bum, kill him, and put duct tape all over his body so he doesn't decay.

PL

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X