Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Now I must destroy something beautiful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
    Chubb? Oh boy...
    I feel much better now...

Comment

I've never heard of them.

It's good news that the car was company owned, chances are there should be plenty of coverage. You may never know how much without filing suit.

Get your prescriptions filled, follow up with either your family doctor or a neurologist or orthopeadist. I'm tellin' ya, go back and read what lawdog and I said, every bit of it is what you can expect.

Choose your fate.
      “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

I've never heard of them.

It's good news that the car was company owned, chances are there should be plenty of coverage. You may never know how much without filing suit.

Get your prescriptions filled, follow up with either your family doctor or a neurologist or orthopeadist. I'm tellin' ya, go back and read what lawdog and I said, every bit of it is what you can expect.

Choose your fate.
        I've never heard of Chubb either. That's probably good news, but you never know.

You might also want to push for an MRI, providing you have coverage to pay for it. If there is a problem, identifying it early will usually lead to a better recovery. You have to take your health care into your own hands to a certain extent. Remember that those doctors are working for you, not the other way around. Push them to ensure a thorough evaluation.

Company owned car is indeed good news, but once again you never know for sure. Some states require the insurance carrier to divulge the policy limits of their insured, other states have no such requirement. When there is such a requirement, the carrier typically has at least 30 days to provide the info. You might want to request it just for the hell of it to know what you're dealing with. Hopefully your injuries will be very minor, so policy limits will be a moot point. But, it never hurts to be thoroughly prepared.

Like Mantis said, all you have to do is read the above posts to realize what a headache it can turn into. And believe me, you don't know the half of it! It sometimes turns into an absolute war. If you have any inclination whatsoever to pursue a claim, I'd start looking for an attorney pretty soon. The sooner the attorney is involved, the better off you'll be.

Comment

Oh...I just realized you guys are in the same jurisdiction. Good for Relytjj. I guess Ohio does not require policy limits disclosure? I never understood that. It only increases unnecessary litigation.
          Last edited by lawdog; 6/21/2005 5:33pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by lawdog
            I've never heard of Chubb either. That's probably good news, but you never know.

You might also want to push for an MRI, providing you have coverage to pay for it. If there is a problem, identifying it early will usually lead to a better recovery. You have to take your health care into your own hands to a certain extent. Remember that those doctors are working for you, not the other way around. Push them to ensure a thorough evaluation.
            Unless you are in big time pain, I would suggest waiting at least 3 months before getting an MRI. This is due to the fact that some injuries take a little time to fully manifest themselves. If you are having problems in an area, but not hurting too bad, plain film x-rays are a good way to go at first.

Some states require the insurance carrier to divulge the policy limits of their insured, other states have no such requirement.
            Not in Ohio.
            Like Mantis said, all you have to do is read the above posts to realize what a headache it can turn into. And believe me, you don't know the half of it! It sometimes turns into an absolute war. If you have any inclination whatsoever to pursue a claim, I'd start looking for an attorney pretty soon. The sooner the attorney is involved, the better off you'll be.
            ditto.
            “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Oh...I just realized you guys are in the same jurisdiction. Good for Relytjj. I guess Ohio does not require policy limits disclosure? I never understood that. It only increases unnecessary litigation.
              On big claims, sometimes we can get them to divulge the information.

And sometimes, the pointy headed bastards lie!

Comment

Unless you are in big time pain, I would suggest waiting at least 3 months before getting an MRI. This is due to the fact that some injuries take a little time to fully manifest themselves. If you are having problems in an area, but not hurting too bad, plain film x-rays are a good way to go at first.
                I agree that's good advice if he has a way, other than med-pay, to pay for the MRI. The problem I often run into goes back to what you stated earlier regarding the leeches sucking the med-pay dry. It's not uncommon for the med-pay to be gone within 3 months. Once again, it's so fact specific.

As for the adjuster lying to you about the limits, surely that's cuase for a bad faith suit?

Comment

I am a little confused about the medical stuff here. Right now I am only experiencing minimal soreness and discomfort. I have a prescription for muscle relaxors from the hospital visit. I really will not know how this injury pans out until I start rolling again and even then I might not know the effects until a few months down the line. How do I handle the insurance company knowing that they will want to settle this issue as soon as possible?

I will pay for my hospital visit myself initially but I will want to be reimbursed by the insurance company. They told me that won't be possible until we have reached a settlement. I wil also be looking to have them pay for the hours that I have missed work due to this whole debacle (within reason). I really don't want to have to get a lawyer for this but I am a little confused about how I'll go about getting them to compensate me for all of the damages outside of my cars repair.

Later today I do plan on giving my insurance agent a call which normally wouldn't do any good because they really don't have any part in this but he happens to be old friends with my father and may offer me some insight and advice that'll smooth the resolution of this whole shitstorm.

Comment

As for the adjuster lying to you about the limits, surely that's cuase for a bad faith suit?
                    Not against a third party insurer here. You have to be a first pary to sue in bad faith here. Learned that the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by relytjj
                      I am a little confused about the medical stuff here. Right now I am only experiencing minimal soreness and discomfort. I have a prescription for muscle relaxors from the hospital visit. I really will not know how this injury pans out until I start rolling again and even then I might not know the effects until a few months down the line. How do I handle the insurance company knowing that they will want to settle this issue as soon as possible?

I will pay for my hospital visit myself initially but I will want to be reimbursed by the insurance company. They told me that won't be possible until we have reached a settlement. I wil also be looking to have them pay for the hours that I have missed work due to this whole debacle (within reason). I really don't want to have to get a lawyer for this but I am a little confused about how I'll go about getting them to compensate me for all of the damages outside of my cars repair.

Later today I do plan on giving my insurance agent a call which normally wouldn't do any good because they really don't have any part in this but he happens to be old friends with my father and may offer me some insight and advice that'll smooth the resolution of this whole shitstorm.
                      Oh boy...here we go!

Comment

I'm going to defer to Mantis here, since he is barred in your jurisdiction. However, I will say that paying out-of-pocket for your treatment is probably the worst thing you could do, regardless of your jurisdiction. It seems to me that should be your last resort.

Comment

That will be hard for you to do without an attorney. The adjuster will harass you, trying to settle as soon as possible before you realize an injury. If you really don't want to get an attorney, all I can tell you is, be vague, don't answer the phone, have someone else tell them you will get back to them when you are ready. Realize that you either have to settle or file suit within 2 years of the date of injury.

Use hospitalization if you have it. Get a doctor to confirm you have to be off work. Keep a notebook journalizing the hours you missed and the pay you would have received to help your employer make a statement down the road. Most attorneys do not take a fee on the property damage, I always handle that gratis. The most common fee arrangement is a 1/3 contingency fee. You got hit hard, you need an attorney. It's a complex thing, and not something you should try on your own.
                          Not a good idea. He'll be useless. He's a salesman, and even though a friend, in bed with the ememy.

P.S. As I have indicated and you will note, some injuries take a little time to completely manifest themselves... much like dim mak :XXpuke:

Comment

Calling an attorney later...check!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X