Kicking experiment for all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kicking experiment for all

I have been berated over and over again about the way I kick eversince I switch from WTF TKD to sanshou. Only recently, I manage to correct it, when my coach spotted the problem.

The problem lies with the way the kick is thrown at the start and this is where the experiment starts. Fior those who are in TKD, do you find that you use your butt muscle contraction to execute the power of the kick more than your thigh muscle?

And those who are kickboxers, do you use your thigh muscle more than your butt to throw roundhouse kicks and side kicks at the start?

What I gathered from my own understanding. This difference exist because tof the rules in each sport. In WTF TKD, the lack of punching the face, limited chance of scoring a point from a punch to the dobok and the prime area of contact is the body, TKDists lean back more to deliver greater reach with their kicks and to reduce the chance of getting hit on the body.

While kickboxers are more upright, as they normally follow up with a punch combo and since punching predominantly are the main staple.

Please give your comments on this experiment, as I am trying to help a fellow MA guy integrate his TKD kicking skills for kickboxing. I got a gut feeling the organisers are looking for a potential cannon fodder for a style VS. style match, since the general public loves that kind of stuff.

staying more upright makes it easier to follow up
    i dont feel like thinking about which muscles are really used the most, but for big powerful roundhouses and most other kicks its about your hip movement.

its all in that sweet sweet hip movement.

Comment

For me I use hip torque to get my kicks out faster. Generally using the thigh and butt muscles to throw the knee up and then slam the lower shin into the target. The further away your target is, the more I lean back and the further I turn my hip into the kick.

Essentially its your muscles that get the knee up there, but its the hip follow-through that gets the power. Depending on how close you are to the target and what kinda power/speed mix you're trying to achieve, there's a different degree of hip torque. More hip turn= more power, less speed. More knee and thigh movement=more speed, less power.

I'm not really saying anything new here so you probably know whatever I just said, but hopefully it helps.
      Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
      I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
      what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

One school of thought ive heard is that leaning in anyway gives up balance, if you keep straight backed you are in a better position to retract your leg or counter with your arms if the kick is caught, also meant to generate more power because when you lean one way while kicking another your energy is going in two directions so you cant generate as much force on impact.
        Also i was of the impression that more speed = more power, though of course this is based on how someone targets a kick

Comment

And those who are kickboxers, do you use your thigh muscle more than your butt to throw roundhouse kicks and side kicks at the start?
          How do you raise your thigh by contracting muscles in your buttocks?

leaning in anyway gives up balance, if you keep straight backed you are in a better position to retract your leg or counter with your arms if the kick is caught, also meant to generate more power because when you lean one way while kicking another your energy is going in two directions so you cant generate as much force on impact.
          Perhaps the important point is not keeping your back straight relative to the ground, but rather keeping the spine in line with the hips. Thus if the hips rotate the spine might tilt, but the body in and of itself is in natural alignment. I doubt you would bend your spine to the side while throwing a front kick, so why would you do so with a round kick?

I'm confused by the last comment regarding generating force. I'm not real familiar with these kinds of round kicks, but I would think that since the force comes from rotation of the hips and the leg just happens to be attached, the momentum of the torso moving in-line with the spine/leg would only add to the kick's force. Its not like they are moving in two directions, they are both moving on the same arc so the torso is really "behind" the kicking leg.

Comment

Originally posted by tai-gip
            Also i was of the impression that more speed = more power, though of course this is based on how someone targets a kick
            More speed=some power. A powerful kick hits harder if it hits faster, yes. But the speediest kick isn't always the strongest one; TKD players don't hit that hard at all but they manage to accomplish a great deal of speed.
            Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
            I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
            what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

With regard to balance if you look at it like the body is a weight scale perfect balance is when you straight , leaning means your weight will be distributed differently through the body and unless you are leaning forward with the kick you will be going in two directions

As for speed and power it depends in the target of the strike, if your just aiming for contact impact fast will hurt more, if your aiming 2-3 inches behind the target speed will equal more power, comparing speed of the fist to power of the second though is not a fair comparison..

Comment

It's all in my oblique abs and hips. ALL OF IT ALL OF IT
                Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Ok, the butt muscle is used to swing your leg BACK, not up. So I don't know how you could use it for a roundhouse.

PL

Comment

Originally posted by jungle-mania
                    I have been berated over and over again about the way I kick eversince I switch from WTF TKD to sanshou. Only recently, I manage to correct it, when my coach spotted the problem.

The problem lies with the way the kick is thrown at the start and this is where the experiment starts. Fior those who are in TKD, do you find that you use your butt muscle contraction to execute the power of the kick more than your thigh muscle?

What I gathered from my own understanding. This difference exist because tof the rules in each sport. In WTF TKD, the lack of punching the face, limited chance of scoring a point from a punch to the dobok and the prime area of contact is the body, TKDists lean back more to deliver greater reach with their kicks and to reduce the chance of getting hit on the body.

While kickboxers are more upright, as they normally follow up with a punch combo and since punching predominantly are the main staple.

Please give your comments on this experiment, as I am trying to help a fellow MA guy integrate his TKD kicking skills for kickboxing. I got a gut feeling the organisers are looking for a potential cannon fodder for a style VS. style match, since the general public loves that kind of stuff.
                    I was told to use my hips, actually I was smacked with a focus mitt, when throwing roundhouses and not worry about my ass or thighs.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X