Bareknuckle Punching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bareknuckle Punching

The other day at training we had a stand-in instructor.

He told us that when punching (no gloves) we should be punching with the first two knuckles with your hand on a 45 degree angle.

He explained that if you punch on this angle your ulna and radius are not 'twisted' and that by punching this way you have less chance of damaging your arm.

Sounded reasonable to me, any comments?

I am a bit confused by your description.

As far as I know, one of the safest ways to punch is to do so with the area between you knuckles and your first joint on your fingers. (Please excuse the n00bishness of not knowing the academic name for the area).

It seems to me that if you punch with your knuckes only, you are grazing your opponent. (Painfull yes, effective, I don't know)

Ps. please forgive any stupidity or misunderstanding that this post may contain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
      The other day at training we had a stand-in instructor.

He told us that when punching (no gloves) we should be punching with the first two knuckles with your hand on a 45 degree angle.

He explained that if you punch on this angle your ulna and radius are not 'twisted' and that by punching this way you have less chance of damaging your arm.

Sounded reasonable to me, any comments?
      We also learned that in Krav here. And our instructors are certified boxing trainers in the state of IL. So if there were any issues in that method of punching, they would know and wouldn't teach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moosefromabove
        I am a bit confused by your description.

As far as I know, one of the safest ways to punch is to do so with the area between you knuckles and your first joint on your fingers. (Please excuse the n00bishness of not knowing the academic name for the area).

It seems to me that if you punch with your knuckes only, you are grazing your opponent. (Painfull yes, effective, I don't know)

Ps. please forgive any stupidity or misunderstanding that this post may contain.
        I mean punching with the first two knuckles as opposed to the last two which can break more easily (so I'm told).

The question is more relating to the position of the ulna and the radius if you punch with your hand at a 45 degree angle.

Not your fault, I didn't word the question very well :P

Comment

Some people punch vertical, some horizontal, some 45 degrees. It really just comes down to personal preference, AFAIK.
          sudo make me a sandwich!

Comment

From John Whitman, instructor in KM:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...ee+angle&hl=en

Hey Appolinax,
            In KM the ultimate decider is definitely personal preference.

On a related note: KM teaches a very small rotation of the fist to about 45 degrees. This is, in fact, the natural position for most people's hands. For most people, when the hand hands down at the side, it hands at about 45 degrees forward. If you lift this hand straight up without altering the angle, you'll find your first at about a 45 degree rotation.

But bodies are built differently and ultimately it does come down to personal preference.

Comment

Comment

More important than fist angle is wrist angle and the position of your elbow, both should be in line NOT with the knuckles ( this causes the fist to tilt down and can strain the wrist), but with the "center" of the fist, picture a line going along the forearm bone and through your fist, this line will make the target area NOT you knuckles but the area just below them and just above where your fingers start .

Comment

My boxing trainer teaches to punch with our hands at a 45 degree angle.
                  It's not only a natural position, but it also protects the wrist from being vulnerable by over extending the elbow outside the body, which reduces the amount of inline power from shoulder, to elbow, to wrist, to fist.

My understanding from talking to other boxers and trainers is... The only reason they ever taught boxers to punch with a rotating (45 degree to 90 degree) fist, was so when contact was made with your opponent, the rotation of your fist (glove) on you opponents face, was more likely to produce a cut by ripping the skin. Which is why they put vaseline on any protruding areas (brows, cheeks, etc...)

Comment

Aligning the first two knuckles with the radius and ulna (2 long bones in your forearm) creates a better transference of force, and helps keep your wrist from getting jacked.

But c'mon now...

I have never been in a fight where I could actually chose what part of my fists made contact. Too many variables in movement. I'll just stick to my windmilling pinky-punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                      I'll just stick to my windmilling pinky-punches.
                      and using my keys!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                          Aligning the first two knuckles with the radius and ulna (2 long bones in your forearm) creates a better transference of force, and helps keep your wrist from getting jacked.

But c'mon now...

I have never been in a fight where I could actually chose what part of my fists made contact. Too many variables in movement. I'll just stick to my windmilling pinky-punches.

Comment

That's the angle preferred in old-style karate as well, but it isn't absolute. If I rotate for the jab I feel like there's a bit of extra reach and oomph with the full horizontal. And when I'm close up I like to shovel my rear hand in with a vertical fist with the arm pointed a bit upwards (to hit with the top two knuckles; I don't like "slapping" with the bottom three at all). Top knuckle in line with the bone.

Comment

You guys remind me of my old master. Pivot with the hips! Rotate the fist! Site down the first two knuckles of your fist! Do not lock out the elbow completely! Again! Again! Again! Power from your feet! Ends in your fist! Again! Again! Again! Exhale on the punch! Again! Again! Again!

...I was always like...awwww fuck it. I'm just gonna throw down and start swingin~

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X