Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will flag burning become illegal in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will flag burning become illegal in the US?

https://secure.aclu.org/site/Advocacy?id=139

The ACLU says that there is legislation on the table which would make flag burning illegal. However, they give precious few details on the legislation, and don't appear to even give us the number of the bill. Has someone proposed a constitutional amendment? Does anyone know about this flag-burning brouhaha?

And if it is true...which numbnuts decided to even bring up such a retarded idea, of banning flag burning?
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Hmm...nothing except on the ACLU site. Not too surprising, as this is the kind of thing they're on the lookout for; it won't become a story until the nutjobs start jumping up and down about symbology. I give it a week, maybe two.
    Sgt. Shenault: "They shoot-in'! They shoot-in'!"
    Moi: *removes headphones* "So shoot back." *replaces headphones*

Hanging out with small groups of scared, well-armed young men without responsible adult supervision since 1999.

Comment

is flag burning really a big problem? i cant say i see people burning flags on a regular bases, in america. sure plenty of people do it in the middle east, but our laws dont affect them....

if its outlawed it will just become a fad to burn the flag

Comment

Same mentality of people rioting because their bible got flushed down the toilet or some shit like that.

Let's seriously hope this doesn't even become an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Quikfeet509
          Same mentality of people rioting because their bible got flushed down the toilet or some shit like that.

Let's seriously hope this doesn't even become an issue.
          Seriously. I can't even identify with or understand people who become upset over flag burning, as much as I can't really identify with people who protest over koran flushings.
          Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

But of course it will be an issue, especially around election time.

Have a shitty platform? Play the anti-flag burning card. Oh, and gay marriage and the drug war cards will also work.

Comment

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/11825/
              “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Legislation is bad enough.

Remember back a few years ago when someone wanted to amend the Constitution to prohibit "desecration" of the flag?

Remember when Robert Bork supported the amendment?
                The vast Universe!
                The Way of Aiki to to become
                The light of all mankind
                Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Comment

if you have a question, ask the damn librarian

Actually, there's the MAlibrarian too, the Tang Soo Do fella in New Hampshire.'

You can find the text of the bill at this link here from the Library of Congress.

Some clown from the Virginia 9th (Go go go, fightin' Confederates!) proposed it and it is being debated in the House judiciary committee, where it will fester for a while. Given the spaz that COngress is having over fillibusters and judicial nominees I think that they will have other things to do than dignify some dickhead sophomore COngressman's wet dream. But you never know.

So, long story short, not a hoax.
                  I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

So if I burn a flag in order to incite a riot, or damage a flag beloning to the government or damage someone else's flag on Federal land, I'm in trouble.

If I go out and buy my own flag and burn it, that's still legal.

Brilliant.
                    The vast Universe!
                    The light of all mankind
                    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Comment

Originally posted by garbanzo
                      Legislation is bad enough.

Remember back a few years ago when someone wanted to amend the Constitution to prohibit "desecration" of the flag?

Remember when Robert Bork supported the amendment?
                      Mad props to remembering Robert Bork; the man Republicans were furious the Democrats voted down to be on the Supreme Court, simply for the fact that he seemed extremely crazy, and probably ate babies.
                      I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

We are now seeing re-runs of re-runs.

1) Trot out some unqualified radical for the court.
                        2) Whine like a bitch when the Democrats don't roll over and approve the nomination.
                        3) When all else fails, threaten to change the rules of the Senate.
                        4) Accuse the Democrats of being "obstructionist".
                        The vast Universe!
                        The light of all mankind
                        Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Comment

When faced with a slow news day, the conservatives will push:

1. Guns ('cause we need to be armed to be free from those A-rabs!)
                          2. Gays ('cause they're unnatural!)
                          3. God ('cause our kids will turn into #2 while rejecting #1!)

I guess this is the new, improved #4. I'm pissed because it totally fucks up that mad alliteration thingie I had going. Buncha Republican hacks.
                          Sgt. Shenault: "They shoot-in'! They shoot-in'!"
                          Moi: *removes headphones* "So shoot back." *replaces headphones*

Hanging out with small groups of scared, well-armed young men without responsible adult supervision since 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                            Seriously. I can't even identify with or understand people who become upset over flag burning, as much as I can't really identify with people who protest over koran flushings.

Comment

Yes. If I recall correctly there was a case out of Texas where some guy got arrested for flag burning. It may have been a state law, which was ultimately struck down as violative of the 1st amendment. However, the burner was still open to a misdemeanor open fire citation.

As far as separtists in the USA, we usually call them "the militia" They are really a scary lot who denounce the constitution and the laws of the land. They refuse to submit to jurisdiction and they hold their own kangaroo courts.

They is crazy. :qleft4:
                              “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X