TKD Practitioners please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TKD Practitioners please read

I cannot find a school for boxing, kick boxing or Muay thai in my town. As I've said before this is why I am taking Judo. However, there is a TKD school. I havent checked it out yet though. Its been there for as long as I can remember, and when my friend's Brother in law went there to take a look (he is a second dan in TKD, trained in Korea... I believe in the army or somethin like that) he said it was a pretty good school.

My question... if it is legit, and isnt crap. Can I learn some good things from this art? I want to be able to use my hands moreso than my legs now, but I will take what I can. Please, any input would be great. Things such as what to look out for as a BS TKD school and a good TKD school. I have never stepped foot in a Dojang before so I dont know very much... thanks in advance

*nudge* Osiris, please gimme a hand here....

what affiliations does the school have? wtf, itf, ect. that can make a big difference.

if you want to box, tkd is not the sport for you. atleast 90% of tkd schools seem to teach olympic tkd, which would mean no punches to the head.

i would just ask what rules they use for sparing, and observe a class, or if they offer a free first time class, take it.

Comment

I didnt see an affiliation, I was looking because from what I understand itf is more realistic and not so flowery gay

Comment

Originally posted by KumaOni
        I cannot find a school for boxing, kick boxing or Muay thai in my town. As I've said before this is why I am taking Judo.
        What?

Do ninjas ever make sense?

Comment

hard sparring in large amounts and as unlimited striking areas as possible. if it's WTF and you want to learn hands, forget it. if it's ITF, it's pretty much random in terms of quality. if it's unaffiliated, it's also random in quality. i'd say avoid schools affiliated with federations cause you get to avoid a lot of bullshit that way. hope you get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by KumaOni
            I didnt see an affiliation, I was looking because from what I understand itf is more realistic and not so flowery gay
            what exactly are your goals in martial arts? do you want reality,as in the idea of fighting other martal artists in competions? or do you want to learn to fight on teh streetz?

Comment

Ideally, I wish I could compete in MMA. Although, I am 19 and I have only just begun to train. In my opinion, I am too old to get good enough and train. Maybe I'll have a few amateur matches half a dozen years down the road or so...

So mostly, I train for fun and for self defense. I dont want to get my ass kicked if I am in a situation when I have to fight.

Dochter.. Whats your problem man. I never said I was a ninja first off. Second, There is Judo, Taekwondo and some shit karate and jiujitsu schools in my town. I opted for the Judo since my school is damn good. What part of that can you not wrap your prejudice mind around?

Edit: people like you, I wanna kick people like you right in the ball sack

Comment

Your profile says Bujinkan.

Comment

If you are truly interested in boxing try www.boxinggyms.com

Comment

So what Ronin? It says Bujinkan... Its more like an evenly mixed JJJ. I never claimed to have any mystical powers or anything like that. I train in an art. Just because you're prejudice towards it and have had a lot of Bullshido experience regarding that, ninjitsu and ninjas does NOT mean I fall into that category. Why dont you try being polite, and helpful of someone who is looking for some help and let me screw up and be a ninja fag on my own... cause if I am one, I will indefinately show it right? Until then, I'm just a guy in a white JUDO gi lookin for some pointers.

Jesus guys, open your minds a bit.

Comment

Okay here is why it is funny:
                      You stated you were looking for a striking school, boxing or kickboxing being highest on your list. You ended up in a judo school.

Here I'll play you:
                      "Wow, I'd really like to find some good grappling."
                      flips through yellow pages....
                      "Eureka, a boxing gym"

DO YOU GET THE HUMOR YOU UPTIGHT NINJA?

Comment

Also don't blame me for how ninjas are viewed here.
                        Look at my sig and some of the other threads going right now and see why anyone that comes on here from BBT is initially viewed with disdain.

Comment

I mentioned that because I have said in previous threads that I wanted to learn BOTH striking and grappling but had to settle for just grappling.

Comment

Originally posted by Dochter
                            Also don't blame me for how ninjas are viewed here.
                            Look at my sig and some of the other threads going right now and see why anyone that comes on here from BBT is initially viewed with disdain.
                            You realize that you are one of the main supporters of this disdain, right?

I'm not saying you don't have a reason, but you ARE actively trashing ninjas on every thread.
                            Originally posted by pauli
                            i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
                            I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

The fuckin guy isnt even giving me a chance. I JUST WANT TO LEARN!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X