Roundkicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roundkicks

I thought this would make an okay thread so here goes.
    How do you generate the most power in your round kicks?
    How does cro cop get so many of his head kick knockouts?
    Is it the hips? the baseball bat motion?
    In that case, how do some of the olympic TKD competitors get knocked out by the simple snappy roundkicks?

Discuss what makes a roundkick even more powerful, and the training to make it so...besides bag work.

Hip rotation. Barely different than a powerful baseball swing, golf drive, or long bomb to the endzone.

Body mechanics. Popping the hip over and contacting with the shin. Lots of weight lifting. Hitting through the target.

Ya.

Comment

Practice against resistance.

TKD snappy kicks is mostly due to the fact that they throw kicks in the air a lot. Muay Thai kicks power is developed from countless hours on the heavybag.

Comment

For me: hips and the knee. I keep the knee slighty bent and the leg relaxed until the impact and put tension at the moment of contact. The base leg is very important imho; stability makes better transfer of force.

Being small, I can't put a lot of weight in the kick so i rely in speed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gods of Muay Thai
          To attain maximum efficiency, the kick should make an angle of 45 degrees against the floor. This kick is quite straight forward. You should kick by letting the instep or the back of foot hit the target, incline the body a little in the opposite direction to that of the kick. Swing your leg upwards in the oppropriate angle. Before the point of impact, twist the foot so that the arch faces downwards, and the instep would hit the back of the neck.

Needed to write this down somewhere. If your kicks sucks then your not doing one of the above.

A modern simplification of the above which most sportfighters could understand would be:

Originally posted by Translation
          WHIP THAT LEG OUT... DRIVE IT... DRIVE IT... PIVOT... PIVOT, YOUR NOT FUCKING PIVOTING ENOUGH... WHIP IT DOWN NOW... NOT ON THE TARGET! SMASH THROUGH THE FUCKING TARGET... OH FOR FUCKS SAKE I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT
          __________________________________________________ _________________

Pulled the above out of my training journal.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
              Simple snappy roundkicks? Lord... It says TKD in your style field, SO QUIT NUTRIDING MUAY THAI.
              It had to be said. In practice when I hit my heavy bag I generally aim to kick through the target. Very little "snapping". In practice, the high roundhouse to the head comes down to whether you're going for speed or power. Crocop isn't strictly a MT style kicker I don't think. Put him, Buakaw and some random Olympic TKD medalist in TKD uniforms, have them do high roundhouse kicks on a heavy bag, and you'll be hard-pressed to find any real significant differences beyond nuances of technique.

Edit: this doesn't apply at all to the low-kick because it's nonexistent in TKD. Generally though, TKD head kicks aren't as weak or snappy as people make them out to be. They aren't just fast and weak; however they tend to come out quickly in kick flurries because TKD stresses speed techniques above power. When you tell a TKD player to kick hard against a target that doesn't move quite as much as another bouncing TKD player, you might be surprised at how much power they can generate.
              Last edited by lifetime; 5/23/2005 11:07am, .
              Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
              I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
              what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

i think the most powerful kicks are generated from the shoulders, hips, knee, then shin. for a good example watch crocop. when he kicks he turns shoulders, then hips. he then follows up bring his leg up partially bent. right before he makes contact, he extends his leg, adding power and speed from his leg, along with the good old baseball bat type motion. ernesto hoost kicks the same way.

Comment

I never said the simple snappy motion was a bad thing, or even simply weak.
                  I simply learned that the majority of the power came from the speed.
                  At my tkd school they constantly tell me speed over power, and that with speed comes power.
                  Am I nutriding MT? I suppose in this instance.
                  I'm just wanting to know how to get the most power out of my kicks.
                  The TKD roundkicks are generally some of the fastest I'v seen, but it doesn't change how much power it has compared to MT kick.
                  Like Os, you have told me before my TKD teacher is teaching me it wrong, but My tkd instructor isn't a nobody in the TKD world, keep that in mind.
                  My instructor says, knee up, pivot, snap.
                  Of course, all he cares about is making sure his students win by points, not by KO's.

Comment

Comment

I suck at WTF tkd. Why? Because I try and hurt the person, NOT score points, and because I'm not a blackbelt, I cannot head kick in competitions, so I unload on their body as harsh as I can.
                      Yeah I take your stuff into account too regarding the roundhouse kicks.

Comment

ALL KICKS above your waist involve snap, even Mirkos. More power, step out wider with you pivoting foot, to open the hips up and it will help you drive through the target. Even with a TKD try it! it works. I was taught in tkd to almost do a side kick and drive downwards at the head (need flexabilty).

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                          Yikes, no head kicks?
                          Theres pretty much no tournaments that I'v been allowed to attend that involve headkicks at a colored belt level.
                          If I can't, its a waste of time for me to bother going to tournaments(TKD), a waste of time and money.

Comment

Now that's pretty fucked up. Generally in Australia even Yellow belt players are allowed to kick to the head although they've amended that now. I scored two KOs last year by kicking unwary opponents in the face.

Generally your instructor is teaching you a picture perfect roundhouse technique. But you'll probably know that nothing in a competition is picture perfect; thus you'll find a lot of players actually modify their kicks for power or speed depending on the situation.

The end result is that you end up with a whole variety of roundhouse kicks. Some kicks have very little hip pivot and a fast snap, to speed it up as much as possible. Some kicks have a lot of hip pivot and the foot/instep hits DOWN on the target, that's for distance and power. Some come out in a wide arc and slam through an opponent, that's for punshing an opponent that's getting too defensive. There isn't a single TKD roundhouse kick that's "canon". Watch a few WTF matches and you won't see a single player doing a "proper" TKD roundhouse with the hip pivot, knee up and snap.

And generally, what your club tells you about speed is correct.

When performing a technique, Technique is paramount, THEN speed, THEN power. Technique and speed will usually generate the power you need; trying to muscle a kick or to put too much power into it will make your kick stiffen up, slow down and unbalance you. Worry about hitting your target first, before you worry about knocking him out. After enough practice you'll probably get a feel for relaxing when you throw your kick and just letting your body mechanics and hip motion take over. From there all you need to do is speed it up and you've got KO power.
                            Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                            I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
                            what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

That sounds very true, nevertheless, I'm still kicking about as hard as the blackbelt who to my knowlege was on the canadian national tkd team till he got drug tested and got kicked out.
                              yes, his kicks are ALOT faster, and accurate...Still, I see what you mean lifetime, and thanks for the advice. Regardless, I will be quitting TKD in a number of weeks so I can concentrate on my type of ju jitsu, and our round kicks are the MT roundkicks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X