Internal martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal martial arts

For anyone who has taken them, do you feel that internal martial arts, especially hsing-i, pa kua/ba gua, and tai chi/taiji are effective? And, *are internal martial arts as effective for fighting as Western boxing, MT, BJJ, etc.?*

I've taken chen taiji and have been looking int hsing-i. BAJI! is one of several arts that fit both categories. You get quicker results with 'external' arts but I wouldn't count out 'internal'. All and all you still are getting back to the person performing more than the art. I seen and know Hsing I and Taiji guys that can throw down quite well and I know those that SUCK badly but I can say that about almost any art I trained.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Internal arts are great as far as I'm concerned. Its just that you have to accept the limitations that the styles come with, which is generally a lack of ground work or hard sparring. the only one which I've found that is different is Systema, which is essentially MMA for internal artists. I'm going to a systema seminar in a couple of weeks. It should be good.
      Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Just look up Kumar Frantzis, that guy's a beast.

Edit: http://www.energyarts.com

Edited by - Angry-Monkey on March 02 2003 15:59:22

Comment

I've got mixed feelings about BK. I'm happy to accept what he says his acomplishments are, but I'm not so sure on his philosophy. I've got one of his book, it does make for interesting reading though.

Comment

I have the upmost respect for BKF, but I would hardly say he is really a master in anything. More a MMA of the internal styles.

I personally really love Hsing I and Ba Gua. Taiji, has become a sort of Yoga style system, and in the west has lost its martial roots. If you can find a good Kwoon that do some Taiji Sanshou then your in for some good learning.

Ba Gua, focus's a lot more on 2 man drills and basic exercises like "Walking the Circle" than Hsing I. Hsing I has a lot of study in it (so does Ba Gua), with all the various forms that you have to do before you get onto the sparring. They both compliment eachother very well.

I dont really know enough about any of the Wudang Kung Fu or Western Boxing to compare them. I guess if a guy does 100 hours of boxing against a 100 hours of Ba Gua, then the Boxer is going to clean up. However, if the boxer does 1000 hours and so does the Ba Gua practioner, I think the fight would be more interesting.

Qi Gong training, gym work and sparring are just as important to the internal styles as they are to the external styles (not Qi gong obviously) if you want to be a good fighter. Ofcourse this is just my opinion.

If you really like the Chinese Gung Fu, but want faster results, perhaps try BAJI! (as Asia said), Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut and even Shaolin.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
            those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
            Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Comment

i haven't had experiance with any of the other internal styles but Tai Chi to me seems very useful in fighting

i've incorporated minor hip movements when being hit to disperse the force, it also trains your sense of balance

--
              I attack flurriously!
              Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Tai Chi Chuan is 100% effective IF and only IF you put in some serious training time and you have a combat oriented teacher. Personally speaking, I think everyone should take TC as a "side" art (or more if you could) and in the meanwhile, also practice a harder combat art simultaneously (like boxing/wing chun/wrestling). Don't think about the TC just keep doing both. In the long run, you'll be much better off with the TC. One day you'll wake up and realize the "extra" benefits that the TC has given to you.

They call me:
                "The Money Shot Guru"

Comment

it's pretty cool for defense, it also has groundwork as well

--
                  I attack flurriously!
                  Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
                  Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Internal arts develop the tendon aspect of the movement, minimum muscle work, so that they become strong enough to hit and move very quickly without being hurt. But it takes time I assume. Is someone really experienced in these forum ? I mean more of 15 years of practice in the internal ?

Comment

The people I know with that degree of experience just don't seem that interested in computers. So far i'm 10% of the way...

Comment

I agree Sam, my Sensei is of that ability in Aikido. However, I dont think he has much time for this sort of debate, unforunately. Actually Sam you may of heard for him. His name is Ken Williams, he studied and coached at "THE HUT" for sometime. He also studied with Tohei Sensei for 10 years.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
                        those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
                        Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Comment

The experienced internal people won't come on this forum to be lectured by some teenager that they're wasting their time by not doing BJJ.

I know that all the best MA's in my association are now taking Taiji in addition to their primary arts, including a doorman of 25 yrs experience. My instructor travels to China two or three times a year to get correction in his Taiji at a cost to him of thousands a year - why would he bother if it doesn't work ?

Comment

No I doubt you need years to able to gain some sort of proficiency in the Internal Arts. You also need good teachers. I've seen some very poor practioners who just don't understand Bagua/Pakua who think its a circle. I also meet some people who think Hsing-I is a straight line. NO its not.

I tell you what though, Pa Kua Principles work. I was jumped from behind by surprise and I defended myself pretty well using Pa Kua, so I'm pretty convinced about Pa Kua.

Comment

Almost forgot, Morihei spent some time in a Russian prison, and some people tell me that Systema looks like Aikido at times. So maybe O' Sensei was influenced by Russian Vodka Fighters. =P

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X