Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martial Arts in an RPG system

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Martial Arts in an RPG system

    There's a character in a near-future RPG I'm involved in who's basically a "Martial Artist". This RPG has a spell-level-like system. I want her to be a believable mixed martial artist or something but I also need it to be reasonable and as free from bullshido as possible.

    I know a little bit about styles and what they're like, but I don't actually do any Martial Arts. I'm just interested in them. So, I'm using this opportunity to ask those who know about Martial Arts and can tell the real from the fake about what techniques would be appropriate.

    Hint: This level-tech system starts at 1 and ends at 9. Level 9 will have two techs, while all others have three. What types of strikes would be appropriate?

    #2
    The 5 Point Exploding Heart Technique

    Comment


      #3
      Ruas Vale Tudo.
      "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Traditional Tom
        The 5 Point Exploding Heart Technique
        I'll save that for one of my level 9's. :laughing6


        I'm pretty sure that the first 4 levels can be filled by basic joint-locks, punches and kicks. It's the higher ones that have me confused. I think Ruas Vale Tudo might work, though.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Shiro
          I think Ruas Vale Tudo might work, though.
          RVT does work. I'm not sure about the RPG set, but in th3 r34l world it does.
          "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

          Comment


            #6
            *sighs*

            Originally posted by Hedgehogey
            FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
            Originally posted by Kidspatula
            Bleep bleep blip bloop

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Bad News Hughes
              (Image)
              To debunk any kind of false impressions about me, I'll just say that I'm not detached from the outside world. I'm just interested in factchecking to ensure my endeavor doesn't turn into stupid shit. Anyone who doesn't know the finer points of a certain thing, but wants to use it, must get information about it from those who do know. That results in more accurate information.

              I'll still take your advice, though. It is rather sound.
              Last edited by Shiro; 4/29/2005 11:16am, .

              Comment


                #8
                I'm just interested in factchecking to ensure my endeavor doesn't turn into stupid shit.
                You want a realistic fighting system in a make-believe role playing game?

                :bduh:


                what's wrong with random BS like in any fighting game?
                You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by PirateNinja5000
                  You want a realistic fighting system in a make-believe role playing game?

                  :bduh:


                  what's wrong with random BS like in any fighting game?
                  I'm going to have to agree here. Look at a head to head fighter for some reference points.

                  I don't know crap from cake when it comes to rpgs but I imagine that low level you get simple things (jab, roundhouse, double leg, etc.) and higher level you get something more complicated (spinning back kick, flying armbar, etc.).

                  For the most part though, in realistic fighting there aren't many very complex moves. You'd be limiting yourself greatly creativly if you didn't sneak in dim mak, atomic chi farts and iron (insert body part here). I await Ronin69's magnificiently named animal techniques.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gypsy Jazz
                    I'm going to have to agree here. Look at a head to head fighter for some reference points.

                    I don't know crap from cake when it comes to rpgs but I imagine that low level you get simple things (jab, roundhouse, double leg, etc.) and higher level you get something more complicated (spinning back kick, flying armbar, etc.).

                    For the most part though, in realistic fighting there aren't many very complex moves. You'd be limiting yourself greatly creativly if you didn't sneak in dim mak, atomic chi farts and iron (insert body part here). I await Ronin69's magnificiently named animal techniques.
                    There's plenty of room for Doom Wind Heart-Stopping Ki Blasting Deadly Rays of a Thousand Iron-Wanged Deaths and other idiocy in this thing. Just not for this specific character.

                    And the BS that is in here is specific to the plot. The reason for a more grounded system for the protagonist fighter is to set a distinction between the sportive side and the energy-based side of unarmed fighting (whose source of power is a central plot point).

                    However, if my options leave me no other choice, I will just stick to random bullshido like all the rest of them and move on.
                    Last edited by Shiro; 4/29/2005 8:02pm, .

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Bad News Hughes
                      *sighs*



                      That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. :):):)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Research some Kali or Philipino arts for a good badass/impressive mix. Also, invest some techs in BJJ moves: the armbar, the triangle, shoulder locks. You can turn those into, say, the FLYING triangle for extra style points.
                        Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          If you don't know anything about the martial arts, just base the martial artist's amount of damage of off what other characters of that level do, and call the techniques any damn thing you want.

                          Going to in-depth in RPG martial arts (or anything else in an RPG) makes them less fun, if you ask me.

                          A better way to go about what you are trying to do would be for you to tell what your character will be able to do/what you like it to do, and we'll tell you martial arts techniques that could fit for that.

                          Also, that is a funny dice.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Shiro
                            There's plenty of room for Doom Wind Heart-Stopping Ki Blasting Deadly Rays of a Thousand Iron-Wanged Deaths and other idiocy in this thing. Just not for this specific character.

                            And the BS that is in here is specific to the plot. The reason for a more grounded system for the protagonist fighter is to set a distinction between the sportive side and the energy-based side of unarmed fighting (whose source of power is a central plot point).

                            However, if my options leave me no other choice, I will just stick to random bullshido like all the rest of them and move on.
                            This sounds an awful lot like Jade Empire. Realistic looking styles and Magic users. Ki blasts and realistic looking techniques.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Try these ones, for the first levels:

                              http://mizzoupankration.homestead.com/techniques.html
                              "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X