What is "Certain Destruction"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "Certain Destruction"?

OK...you know how American Kenpo has this move called "Certain Destruction"?

What the *is* Certain Destruction? What move is so reliable and damaging that it gets to be written up and codified as Certain Destruction?

The name is making me really curious here.

(Hmm, no Ke?po tag.)
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

I'll look it up for you after my Supreme Ultimate Fist class.
    Last edited by eyebeams; 4/27/2005 3:00pm, .

Comment

I seem to remember techniques called Hammer of Destruction from Kenpo training. And MAYBE Circle of Destruction...but I think it was Circles of Glass. But if it WAS Circle of Destruction that sounds a lot like CERTAIN Destruction.

Comment

It's when CATS is sure to get you instead of very likely to get you.

MAKE YOUR TIME

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin

What the *is* Certain Destruction? What move is so reliable and damaging that it gets to be written up and codified as Certain Destruction?

(Hmm, no Ke?po tag.)

CIRCLING Destruction, as in going around it ( the left punch).

Least as far as the Parker version is concerned, other kenpo variations might have such a name, I don't know.

Comment

So it's just a left hook?
            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

No, you fool! This is destruction in a circular motion with your ARM!!!

A left hook? Please. I've never seen a left hook defeat 50 ninjas at once.

PL

Comment

So, does CATS use circling destruction too?

Comment

No. The attacker strikes with a left punch. Preferably straight. (Destruction is a reference to Left in one form or another.)

You parry and slip behind to there back for various strikes, elbows, strikes to the back of their neck, etc.

If it's not a straight punch, or they turn as to keep you in front of them, you obviously do something else.

Aside: Before someone says the names are stupid/dumb/fill in comment, all they are is a mnemonic device to remember the sequence. Five Swords (how many strikes/handswords you could potentially hit with) versus, right punch defense #12.

Comment

Originally posted by Daugherty
                    No. The attacker strikes with a left punch. Preferably straight. (Destruction is a reference to Left in one form or another.)

You parry and slip behind to there back for various strikes, elbows, strikes to the back of their neck, etc.

If it's not a straight punch, or they turn as to keep you in front of them, you obviously do something else.

Aside: Before someone says the names are stupid/dumb/fill in comment, all they are is a mnemonic device to remember the sequence. Five Swords (how many strikes/handswords you could potentially hit with) versus, right punch defense #12.
                    Or, you know, you can do away with long sequences all together. Make them up on the fly. Be unpredictable.

PL

Comment

(Hmm, no Ke?po tag.)
                      I believe what they're referring to occurs after phil elmore passes gas after eating a hot & spicy dish. :phil:

...or it could be the end result of a American kenpo practitioner when he goes head-to-toe with a grappler.
                      Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
                        Or, you know, you can do away with long sequences all together. Make them up on the fly. Be unpredictable.

PL

Which is eventually the ultimate goal. Most techniques are just variations of one another, done on different sides, at different distances, different pieces of a couple spliced together. Recognizing what you can do with your body/hands from wherever they happen to be when it all starts.

It's not to learn this sequence and pull off the entire string (though others will claim otherwise), but to recognize targets as they open, and what you can do with them. What you do will affect the opponent.

If you strike to their head, they have roughly three options.
                        1. Get hit = good for you.
                        2. Block = not so good, but they may expose something else, such as their midsection.
                        3. Evade and expose nothing = back to square one, assuming you haven't exposed a target they capitalize on.

Kenpo has elbows, knees, kicks, different strikes than just punches with the knuckles, so the techniques are a way to practice all those variations in some pattern. Most people, however, get locked into those patterns.

Boxing has combinations. Jab, cross, hook, upper cut. Muay Thai, add knees and elbows. However most don't teach you just how to jab one day, just how to throw a knee, just how to throw a punch, then say okay, figure out how to put these together. They have certain combinations they find work/flow well together. Jab, cross, (if they defend by raising there hands) hook to the body.

Obviously how they train these has a lot to do with effectiveness, but that's a different story, and not necessarily related to the means with which they convey the material (technique sequences in this case).

Comment

Originally posted by Kungfoolss
                          ...or it could be the end result of a American kenpo practitioner when he goes head-to-toe with a grappler.
                          Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Daugherty

so what your saying is, that if the punch isnt at a perfect 45' angle, the wind isnt blowing in a north to north west direction, the humidity is a cool and dry 40%, the attacker is no taller than 6'0", and the price of a barrel of gas isnt above 55 dollars then this technique is unstoppable.

hell sign me up to learn that one.
                            Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
                            My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizzaro Root
                              so what your saying is, that if the punch isnt at a perfect 45' angle, the wind isnt blowing in a north to north west direction, the humidity is a cool and dry 40%, the attacker is no taller than 6'0", and the price of a barrel of gas isnt above 55 dollars then this technique is unstoppable.

hell sign me up to learn that one.

Just saying that if it's a left straight punch then this could be an option, humidity and wind direction not withstanding. Though the lunar phase does affect it... go figure.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X