Mike Tyson and "Western Boxing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Tyson and "Western Boxing"

I've come to the conclusion that anytime you hear someone say "Western Boxing", that is short for "I can't box". Also short for "I am a Bruce Lee worshipper who thinks Bruce had real boxing skill, even though I've never seen him fight." and "I've never trained in a boxing gym.

Anyway, if a real boxer, like Iron Mike Tyson or Roy Jones or even Mayweather, sold vids through Unque entitled "Western Boxing" or "What the trainers DON'T tell you--the HIDDEN secrets of boxing", would you buy them? How about if Dan Inosanto endorsed them?

Pinoy....... beautiful Filipina?

Comment

good-looking or handsome. "maganda" is beautiful.

Comment

what the fuck? i call it western boxing so it doesnt get confused with thai boxing or any chinese boxing styles. of course, being a fuck face, that might be a little over your head.

if mike tyson sold a boxing video that taught me how to dodge like he could I wouldnt care if it was called "wanking in madison square garden". people who care that much about the names of their training tapes (and almost all training videos have laughably shit names) are clownboats of the highest order.

Comment

damn, man! is all of that necessary?

well, i think ANYONE who thinks he can learn to box from a videotape is a dipshit anyway! bruce lee thought he learned from filmstrips, and 30 years later, his worshippers study f--king everything from video! do you really think you will learn to slip punches from a TAPE???

well, i'd buy the tape just to see what he says. but i would never recommend trying to box seriously without first going into the gym...

Comment

Its funny how JKD and modern martial arts people talk about traditional martial artists who look for the "secret" that would make them unbeatable, and then try to "absorb" every little secret they could find. So now, they look like lousy kickboxers, lousy boxers, lousy wing chunners, lousy arnis fighters, etc...

No one ever devotes himself to really studying one of those arts, they just "take the best of ___", as if you could really do that.

I love to see these "experts" who punch targets thinking they look convincing to anyone but the (dare i say it) phil elmore types.... :glasses11

Comment

Originally posted by poging_pinoy
              Its funny how JKD and modern martial arts people talk about traditional martial artists who look for the "secret" that would make them unbeatable, and then try to "absorb" every little secret they could find. So now, they look like lousy kickboxers, lousy boxers, lousy wing chunners, lousy arnis fighters, etc...

I love to see these "experts" who punch targets thinking they look convincing to anyone but the (dare i say it) phil elmore types.... :glasses11:
              This is Phil, :phil: not :glasses11:

Modern martial arts? Perhaps you mean Mixed Martial Arts? I don't see anything wrong with taking things from other MAs so long as it is useful. Or cross-training for that matter. You say learning techniques from other videos is crap. I say videos are a viable alternative if you have nowhere else to learn and even better as supplementary aids to your training. What about people that can actually take something from another style and refine it without actually spending years and years in that style? You don't need to be a fucking heavyweight title holder to know how to throw a decent right cross.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that anytime you hear someone say "Western Boxing", that is short for "I can't box". Also short for "I am a Bruce Lee worshipper who thinks Bruce had real boxing skill, even though I've never seen him fight." and "I've never trained in a boxing gym.
                Semantics... boxing = western boxing

If I'm talking to someone in the know about various MA's I will specify "western boxing" to differentiate it from MT, american kickboxing etc. If I'm talking to someone who doesn't know shit I will just say boxing. The terminology "western boxing" is not exclusive to someone who does JKD or even knows what JKD is. Why does this terminology have you all in a bunch anyway?

Anyway, if a real boxer, like Iron Mike Tyson or Roy Jones or even Mayweather, sold vids through Unque entitled "Western Boxing" or "What the trainers DON'T tell you--the HIDDEN secrets of boxing", would you buy them? How about if Dan Inosanto endorsed them?
                What in the hell are you ranting about here? First you're talking about semantics of a form of fighting and now your going on about videos and hidden secrets... Is there something I'm missing here? What prompted this thread? A little backround might help.

It's like jumping in with this out of nowhere...

What's with calling brine shrimp Sea Monkeys? I've come to the conclusion that Sea Monkeys are not cool and that anyone who buys them have irritable bowel syndrome! And what about those ads in the back of the comic books from the 70's? Are those chests really full of hundreds of plastic soldiers in non poseable postions? If that muscle guy Atlas told you to buy a joke hand buzzer would you do it? What about videos of magic card tricks to impress your friends?
                Last edited by Red Elvis; 4/21/2005 8:01pm, .
                :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
                Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
                Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

Comrade, this I tell you...your english has improved remarkably from the last thread to which you contributed.

Очень рад, что у тебя все хорошо!

Comment

Originally posted by keinhaar
                    Comrade, this I tell you...your english has improved remarkably from the last thread to which you contributed.

Очень рад, что у тебя все хорошо!
                    Bah! You heve kaught me Komrade! I heve my big american prostitute spell chzek for me! She is best and give mean hand position. She wery nice too.

:wrestlera <---- she is looking hot no?
                    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
                    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
                    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

I am by admitting...I should not hide my eastern germanheit. We are, in walking of life, Komrades of politik! No??

Comment

Originally posted by RedElvis
                        Semantics... boxing = western boxing

What in the hell are you ranting about here? First you're talking about semantics of a form of fighting and now your going on about videos and hidden secrets... Is there something I'm missing here? What prompted this thread? A little backround might help.
                        well, i just think the guys who promise that you will be unbeatable("reality" ma's) with their vids are no different than the tma guys with their dim mak, nothing beats serious training with ample sparring. in my opinion, lazy guys and nerds will always go to video--and thats not to say that serious martial artists don't--so that they can "learn" martial arts without ever having to endure the hard part, like facing another fighter or really working hard.

does anyone here live in a city with NO boxing gym? "i dont have access" is always the excuse for learning by video or seminars and never going into a school. i mean, even a mcdojo will teach someone with no experience something . okay, i've got one....i wanna be a lawyer, but there's no law school in my town, so i'll study the "idiot's guide to law" and just practice on my own...btw, i have on and off, about three years of tae kwon do and arnis experience, and 6 solid months of boxing (so i hear what boxers say about martial artists, and i have seen how well many martial artists who come up with their own boxing training do against real boxers, vs martial artists who actually box in the gym. after i finish college i'll be able to devote more time to my own path of martial arts.

It's like jumping in with this out of nowhere...

What's with calling brine shrimp Sea Monkeys? I've come to the conclusion that Sea Monkeys are not cool and that anyone who buys them have irritable bowel syndrome!

SHIT! is that what sea monkeys really are??? I could never convince my mom to let me get them! she probably envisioned monkeys jumping around the living room... :eusa_doh:

Comment

Why does this terminology have you all in a bunch anyway?

it doesnt. i just like to argue..

Comment

good-looking or handsome. "maganda" is beautiful.

Alright, so either can be used to refer to someone?

I'm asking cause I thought I knew how to say pinoy before.... told a half filipina in class and she was like "peni? As in the plural of penis?! Oh, you mean pinoy- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Any other cute, endearing, and/or flattering terms I can mangle in an attempt to sound educated and suave with the ultimate effect of being amusing and bumbling could come in handy.

Sort of....

Comment

Originally posted by Dai-Tenshi
                              Alright, so either can be used to refer to someone?

I'm asking cause I thought I knew how to say pinoy before.... told a half filipina in class and she was like "peni? As in the plural of penis?! Oh, you mean pinoy- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Any other cute, endearing, and/or flattering terms I can mangle in an attempt to sound educated and suave with the ultimate effect of being amusing and bumbling could come in handy.

Sort of....
                              HAHAHAHHAHAHA I BET YOU FELT LIKE THE BIGGEST JACKASS, YOU POOR DUMB BASTARD
                              Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X