The swedish martial arts show "Rallarsving" makes fun of bullshido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The swedish martial arts show "Rallarsving" makes fun of bullshido

Two weeks ago a swedish network started broadcasting a show ("Rallarsving" which means "haymaker") about two swedish fighters (a thai boxer and a shootfighter) who travel around the world to check out different styles. First up was thai boxing in Holland with Remy Bojansky and Peter Aertz. The second show was set in Japan, and was about Shootfighting and Kendo. It's pretty funny, and it's nice that both of these guys aren't your stereotypical fighters.

However, the best part of the show is a little segment called "the history of martial arts with Peder Lamm," that essentially echoes the sentiments of the bullshido posters.

(excerpts shittily translated by me)

Part 1: "The Street"
    "There are many mysterious places in the martial arts world: The Shaolin Temple... that island in the persian gulf where all the world's greatest martial artists meet up every year to find out who's the biggest bad ass... but none of those places is more legendary than 'the street'.. everybody talks about it, but nobody has been there... barely anyone knows where it is. The police know... they brag on the news about picking up shit with the 'street value' of whatever. Some martial artists also seem to know. They say things like 'this isn't a fucking SPORT, these are techniques that WORK ON THE STREET' and 'yeah he might suck in the ring, but nobody can take him on the street'... apparently, there are also tournaments in this 'street', as some martial artists have built their entire careers based on succes in 'the street'. However, we recomend that you stay away from 'the street'. Concrete is really hard. Mats are more comfortable.'

Part 2: "The Art is Dead":

"A long, long time ago, one could succeed by merely talking. A martial artist could run huge schools without ever having to prove anything... it was all about having a secret, super efficient, ancient system, that you had an undefeated grandmaster. The time for talking is over... shootifighting, open competitions... in the ring, it's painfully obvious what a fighter is capabable of. Some uncomfortable facts have surfaced: that your average wrestler, you know, those guys with cauliflower ears and tight little shorts, can, any day of the week, beat the shit out of most martial artists... how many martial artists do you think are happy about this?"

I love this show.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Hehe. Yeah I've seen it. Pretty good show too. Fun, entertaining and educational. How could this be? O_o
    More human than human is our motto.

Comment

We demand copies!

Comment

Originally posted by Dai-Tenshi
        We demand copies!
        ... X 2

Comment

Seeing as the show is in swedish and I have neither the time nor the inclination (or even the know how) to sub-title it for you, it would seem that you're out of luck...
          I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
          -Phil Elmore

Comment

I wonder if there is a webpage for that particular show. Perhaps we could visit if they have one to show our support, appreciation, and shared humor :new_Eyecr

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby
              I wonder if there is a webpage for that particular show. Perhaps we could visit if they have one to show our support, appreciation, and shared humor :new_Eyecr

http://www.rallarsving.ztv.se/?p=front

I guess you could use a translator.

"Step away," I hissed.
              -Phil Elmore

Comment

Originally posted by PoleFighter
                Seeing as the show is in swedish and I have neither the time nor the inclination (or even the know how) to sub-title it for you, it would seem that you're out of luck...

See if Beka wants to do it. She could do it for school.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X