Free Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Running

I used the search function and couldn't find anything on this, so im sorry if it is a repost. I recently saw a documentary on "free running" which was developed by some french dudes. It is basically like freestlye street gymnastics. The object is to start off running, and get over any obstacle with as much style as you can. These guys were crazy. They were getting over 12 foot walls, jumping along rooftops, climbing all over the place. I beleive there was a Nike commercial featuring the founder. After watching this video, I basically think this is more effective than any martial art for self defense. These guys can get away from almost anyone on the planet. As the advice for multiple opponents on this site almost always seems to be "run away", what do you think of this type of practice? It seems like learning how to really run effectively is a really good skill to have.

The real name is Parkour. A sort of free-style Run Fu. Yes: when it's time to flee Parkour is the best martial art.
    "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

Comment

I do Parkour for fun. It's not combative (well, it might help you run away!), but it's an excellent test of core strength and wind. I' a big guy and *terrible* at it, but I do it because it hits my fitness weaknesses in an interesting fashion. Plus, the PK roll is exactly the same as a standard shoulder roll, so I didn't have to learn it. Lots of Parkour folks cross-train in performance-oriented martial arts to get more flash out of their moves, but I (and other folks) are of a mind that if a flip is not a natural part of a run it ruins the principle of moving continuously.

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com is the most popular Parkour community.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/amazingjumper.html has a vid of David Belle, one of the sport's inventors and probably one of the most skilled freerunners in the world.

Comment

Your google-fu is weak. :)

Here's another link.

This sport is tres fucking awesome.
        I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Comment

Looks insanely fun, gonna have to find a local group and get started i think

Comment

Watching that kind of stuff is pretty great. Jumping up walls over rooftops. Dropping what looks like 20 feet crossing rooftops. Simply fucking amazing what can be done with your body.

Comment

Originally posted by Errorr
              Simply fucking amazing what can be done with your body.

Comment

Parkour's injury rate is quite low. A pro like Belle or Foucan can do huge gaps and extreme precisions without breaking a sweat. A guy like me (who is an novice with an unsuitable body type) *might* do a 10 foot vault, drop and roll if I was feeling really good about that spot. I have friends who do more.

You *always* scout a route ahead of time and you *never* do anything you aren't sure of. Freerunners tend to have regular routes and spots they go for. Plus, thick-soled trainers and climbing gloves and quite helpful.

This is my buddy Trevor doing a barrel vault on considerably safer ground than you see the pros playing with.

Comment

Go look up David Belle, too.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/parkour/parkourenglish/img8.gif

`~/
                  sigpic

Comment

I've got another video of Pakour, but I think I got it off Bullshido, so do a search and see if anything else comes up. Haven't seen that David Belle one though. That one's nuts!! Especially the bit where he's on the rock-climbing wall.
                    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
                    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Originally posted by lifetime
                      Haven't seen that David Belle one though. That one's nuts!! Especially the bit where he's on the rock-climbing wall.
                      among others here

`~/
                      sigpic

Comment

Very nice, thank you sir!
                        Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                        I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
                        what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

That is just awesome. If I lived in a bad neighbourhood I would probably pick that over a martial art.

Comment

Working...
                          X