Self-Defense for Women Combato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Defense for Women Combato

This is somewhere between general bs, gear, and martial arts history so I didn't know where to put it...Mods do as you see fit.

You know how sometimes your friends do something so great that you say to yourself "oh, that's why I like these guys". Well Friday my friends came into my house with 2 books. One is a book of stories for 8 year olds, the other "Self-Defense for Women Combato". They found them both in a crate by the side of the road.

The second is a book from 1944 with a very well worn out cover and yellowish tinted pages. Written by William J. Underwood (also the creator of the style) this is a self defense manual that is hilariously terrible. Claims such as "no strength required" and "The tiniest woman need have little fear of the largest man she is likely to encounter..."

I'm sure Combato has gotten it's due bashing here on Bullshido. At some point I think Combato was renamed to Defendo (not to be confused with Defendu). Combato as was used and developed by the Canadian Army for quick effective battlefield combative use.

To the credit of the book, it straight out demands that you practice regularly and implies sparring of some sort. Mention of a sparring partner occurs more than once, but is never directly mentioned in the reading I've done.

Most of the book consists of small joint manipulation and wristlocks used in completely inappropriate times. I would call this really bad Aikido mixed with abysmal Judo, plus a punch and kick or two.

There are some diagrams that literally had me laughing aloud. By far the best is the woman stick figure (skirt and heels included) who disarms a man with a knife and is standing on his neck with her arms crossed and head held high. What a sassy dame.

The writing is great, plain and simple. The description of the moves are decent, maybe sub par. So what makes it great? There is humor all around. Describing the results of a hip throw "It is highly probable that he will land on his head with considerable detriment to his general health." I don't know if it's a joke or not, but this book keeps me laughing.

Complete with totally inplausible revolver disarms (dates it, doesn't it?) and knife disarms and "typical situations" to act out this is some old school RBSD. This book is still for sale on Amazon.com and is short and good for a cheap laugh. Totally unworth paying more than $5 for, but a great find for free.

Originally posted by Gypsy Jazz
    There are some diagrams that literally had me laughing aloud. By far the best is the woman stick figure (skirt and heels included) who disarms a man with a knife and is standing on his neck with her arms crossed and head held high. What a sassy dame.
    Do you have a scanner?

P.S.: Don't forget that those are rbsd techs for Women, and they work only if performed by Women. :zicon_vik
    "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

Comment

No scanner, but I spent a few minutes in MS paint and did my best to replicate the image.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=4iin0z

There is another of the woman first cowering when the man has a knife, but that is more complicated. Maybe if I get bored later I'll draw that one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy Jazz
        Does the tecnique involve one or more stomps to the head? They work, and the high heel is the deadly!

Good one!
        "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

Comment

Oh. Noes.

High heels suck to get your toes stepped on with :(.

Comment

Originally posted by access1denied
            Oh. Noes.

High heels suck to get your toes stepped on with :(.
            Correct. I was talking about stomping, not running/walking/performing flying kicks.

In a rbsd context, a woman should unwear such shoes.

Comment

There is absolutely zero text around the stick pictures. The first is the stick woman cowering back as a stick man with a knife comes at her. The next is the one I tried to draw. I'm going to say that it's a "kick to behind the ear" because they as they call it in the book, that's a very powerful "nerve center".

Personally I have no idea how you can get to behind the ear unless you are really close and poking with fingers, or if you have a friend hold their ear up while you kick them.

Comment

Or a hand gun: the bones behind the ear are less thick, so the brain is less protected; it's not about nerves.

Is the kick supposed to be throwned on a grounded opponent? It's difficult anyway...

Comment

Working...
                X