Wing Chun Kung Fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sedai
    Ok are you refering to the chain punches by anychance? They might not generate as much power as a traditional punch but when you can get hit like 7 times a second its gonna start hurting whether or not its got power. It also makes your apponent move his hands to guard his face which in turn opens up his stomach/groin for attack. I dont care if you think they dont hurt because they do and you can get owned by them. And as for a pretty big wuss being the only one to stay down, impossible. THEY HURT AND YOU WOULD BE BLEEDING AND MAYBE EVEN CONCUST! so getting up would hurt and wouldnt probably be an option
    While I agree that WC can be made to work by someone who has put a LOT of time and effort into it, it is my opinion that the time/effort is disproportionate to the level of skill achieved. (Sorry if i sound a little wordy, but i've been doing assignments all week).

Questions for sedai oh master chain puncher of doom:
    Have you ever sparred with your WC?
    Have you ever used chain punching as a valid technique in sparring?
    What happens if you're chain punching away and your opponent shoots forward for the clinch? (And don't say that the chain punching will stop them doing that... WC practioner's arms < opponent's entire body weight w/ leg thrust) I'm sure your gan sao will stop their knee from "chain knee-ing" your face.

THEY HURT AND YOU WOULD BE BLEEDING AND MAYBE EVEN CONCUST!
    Hurt from being punched in the face? Bleeding? GODS, MAN WHAT A BARBARIC PAST-TIME. I think most fighters are used to get punched in the face, somehow, except with a lot more power.

Comment

Doom

Yes I have sparred with my wing chun,
      yes i have used chain punches while sparring
      and im not saying that chain punching is the be all and end all of the style as people generally assume its supreme. Its not, it is just but another weapon in ones arsenal. It hurts and i would use it if the chance was presented.

Comment

I'll bite.

Sedai, before I came to Bullshido I knew almost nothing about wing chun. I still know very little about it. My main gripe about wing chun is that most of its active practitioners that have shown up on here have made fucking retarded arguments; oh, and the only person I've actually met who claimed to do wing chun lived up to type splendidly... I documented that here.

If you want to change this site's perception of wing chun's effectiveness, you'll probably need video.

1) Best of all would be a video of a wing chun expert fighting and beating a opponent highly rated in a reputable style e.g. boxing, muay thai. People may spout about the average practitioner, but they still want to see someone who can make it work at a high level. Note: this will only convince people if what is being employed by the fighter is recognisable as wing chun.

2) Failing that, footage of two good wing chun people sparring or fighting one another would be a decent fallback. Again, what they're doing should look like wing chun - e.g. they shouldn't grab each other, fall to the ground and roll about ineffectually.

3) Failing that, footage of yourself sparring someone you consider to be skilled with full contact might at least serve to validate your school, if not your art as a whole. You've been doing wing chun for 3 years, you say; 3 years is enough time to pick up a certain basic competence in fighting if you do judo or boxing or BJJ, so you should look to have at least a modicum of effectiveness, and, again, you should recognisably be using wing chun.

4) If that fails, there's not much hope for you, but you could at least contribute a non-video record of a fighter with some sort of successful or semi-successful competitive history being beaten by a wing chun fighter somewhere in the world within the last decade, say.

And if you can't provide evidence of it working for anyone, why do you expect people to believe it works?

Comment

I consider myself a good wing chun practioner only when Im converting friends to the wonders of chain punching and Siu Lim Tao practice in front of a mirror.

I disregard proper body mechanics and only punch standing in my goat stance so I cant generate power. I ignore the theory about being agressive and using footwork, because that makes you a heathen.

BTW. Yip Man IS Helio Gracie. DONT FUCKING ARGUE. BJJ IS JUST WING CHUN TECHNIQUES!!!!!2 Guards is in SIU LIM TAOOOOO. RARR STFU BTW.

Comment

It sounds like there was some good ?ing ?un on display at the Austin Throwdown. I'm waiting for the video footage to be uploaded.

Comment

Comment

WCL, you win the award for 'stubborn hater of the year'. :new_uklia

Comment

Originally posted by grond
                  WCL, you win the award for 'stubborn hater of the year'. :new_uklia
                  Ah, but I am a stubborn hater WITH EXPERIENCE TO BACK IT UP.

Comment

Experience in 'Lee Shing WC'.

Comment

Originally posted by grond
                      Experience in 'Lee Shing WC'.
                      Oh yes. And some classes of Thomas Lo Wing Chun (http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/pinhei...n/thomas.html). And, surprise surprise, I talked to (and did chi sao with) people who spent more than a year at the Moy Yat organization in Brazil under Leo Imamura (www.vingtsun.org.br).

And nowhere did I see anyone who advocated the use of a punch outside the centerline.

Comment

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
                        Oh yes. And some classes of Thomas Lo Wing Chun (http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/pinhei...n/thomas.html). And, surprise surprise, I talked to (and did chi sao with) people who spent more than a year at the Moy Yat organization in Brazil under Leo Imamura (www.vingtsun.org.br).

And nowhere did I see anyone who advocated the use of a punch outside the centerline.

Hey!! You never told me about working out with Moy Yat guys. When was this?

Comment

I long for the day that all wc threads aren't embarassing.

Comment

That will never happen.

I just wish people would read the other ones. Classic mega-threads ahoy.

Comment

Not much to add. Just thought it was funny to listen to my WC instructor last night. Before class began a few of us, including our instructor, were sitting around talking when the subject turned to some WC guys from a different lineage were trashing what they called the "Ben Der clan," which we are a part of (shocking that WC guys are bitching about lineage, right). My instructor then chimed in and basically repeated what I've heard many here say about WC in that these people are basically right. He came out and said that many schools are starting to suffer from instructors not including sparring, not teaching the basics, et cetera.

Comment

Here's the problem.

Most Wing Chun people can't fight.

The truth is Wing Chun is a victim of good marketing.

The chances are good that if you read this, your Wing Chun sucks.

Sorry...that's a fact. It is not the fault of the style of Wing Chun, it is the only way a martial art can be so successful in a modern economy...successful marketing! Most TKD people can't fight for shit either. Don't be mad.

People who can fight, can fight...no matter what they train.

Those of you who have to train to know how to fight....are already a few steps behind me.

Don't be one of those guys who talk about Wing Chun and can't fight for shit.

Good WC is out there. So is good MT, and good BJJ, and good Silat, etc...

Pick one, train hard, and fight with it.

You will start to see these threads in a whole new light.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X