A reminder to Vargas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reminder to Vargas

Saddam Hussein has repeatedly threatened the freedom of Western citizens, in particular the freedom of some of them to run really big cars on cheap petrol. Never ones to let the side down, us Brits are right there in the Gulf backing up our US friends, which begs only one question - how many of our soldiers will they kill by accident this time? The history of US 'friendly fire' incidents is not encouraging...

9th July 1943
    US Pilots towing gliders carrying British Troops into Sicily are told to release them two miles from shore. They release them six miles away
    instead, causing 326 British troops to drown. The rest are confined to
    base to stop them lynching the pilots

11 July 1943
    American guns open fire on their own planes, believing them to be German, as they fly over their lines towards Sicily. They shoot down 33 planes in a few minutes, killing and wounding 318 paratroopers. Many who bail out are shot to pieces in a frenzied 'turkey shoot'.

September 1943
    More US Air Force mishaps in Sicily include a friendly fire incident with 75 casualties and the dive-bombing of British headquarters. US ground troops start calling them the 'American Luftwaffe' and begin to shoot them down in self-defence.

July 1944
    During Operation Cobra in Normandy, USAF bombers 'drop short' on their own advancing lines for two days in succession, killing 110 men. The dead include General Leslie McNair, the most senior US officer to die in WW2.

Christmas 1944
    USAF bombers miss their target by 33 miles and incinerate the small
    Belgian town of Malmedy, killing not only civilians but at least 37
    soldiers of the US 30th Division. On Christmas Day itself, the USAF
    strikes a division of its own tanks, causing 140 casualties. As a result, US ground troops decide to open fire on them on sight.

Korea 1950
    US tanks open fire on a retreating battalion of the British Army's
    Gloucestershire Regiment, cutting down a large number down and allowing
    the advancing Chinese forces to catch and bayonet many more. Later in the campaign, USAF drops napalm on British troops from the Argyll and
    Sutherland Highlanders, killing and wounding 100.

Vietnam 1962-1973
    One in five US soldiers who die in the Vietnam war are killed by their own men, according to reliable estimates. The 'fragging' phenomenon - so called because highly-destructive fragmentation grenades are often the cause of death - reaches its peak in 1971 when there are 333 confirmed incidents and a further 158 possible examples.

Gulf 1991-present
    US A10 aircraft fire on the British 1st Armoured Division, killing nine
    combat soldiers - the oldest victim is only 21. Nearly a quarter of US
    casualties are the result of friendly fire. In April 1994, F-15 fighters shoot down two US Black Hawk helicopters in the no-fly zone - 26 people are killed, 20 of whom are United Nations officials and observers.

Disclaimer - I have not checked the validity of any of these. Also, I have no doubt you can find a similar number of occasions of British troops doing the same. Or more likely, massacaring hundreds of unarmed civilians for attempting a peaceful demonstration.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Embarassing.

One caveat: The numbers actually appear to be getting significantly better, and friendly fire incidents as a proportion of casualties is increasing because casualties from enemy fire are decreasing so dramatically.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

One Question: After knowing this what is the probability that you will enlist to fight for Bush ?

Comment

you=who?

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
        Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

If we'd have known you were Brit's we wouldn't have bombed you during Tea Time.

Comment

We were having tiffin dear chap. It never occured to us that you bounders would be caddish enough to attack your own allies. After all, we're not french dont'cha know.
            Tally ho!
            Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Well, no surprise on my part. I've seen so many guys get killed or maimed in peace-time training, I'm sure it gets only worse during a real shoot-out. Here's the thing, though, and I want all you civilian-types to pay attention. You can't have it both ways (Since civilian control is a hallmark of the U.S. military, my comments are directed at taxpayers in general). I'm sorry, but with military forces, you get what you pay for.

On the one hand, the public restricts military training for environmental concerns, noise restrictions, lack of funding, gender equality and all the other bullshit issues that plague peace-time training. Anyone remember Vieques Island? The whole sex scandal feeding frenzy at Aberdeen and other posts during the mid-1990s? Don't even get me started on the shitty pay we hand to the enlisted force.

On the other hand, during a war (by definition, the essence of chaos), we expect absolute total perfection in execution and planning of military operations. We expect no defeats, no friendly fire deaths, no fuck-ups of any kind at all. All the personnel should be highly trained and supremely motivated, all the equipment should work flawlessly and with complete reliability.

So if you're a civilian taxpayer and want a top-notch military, elect officials who have a true understanding of national security concerns. Demand nothing but the best in terms of good pay, excellent training ranges and exercises, tough and realistic basic training with none of the micky mouse bullshit that has wrecked every branch of the armed forces and a demand for excellence in the top military ranks.

If you really don't give a shit about the military and could care less about friendly fire incidents (until you trip over them watching "Dateline NBC" or some other show for numbnuts), here's what you do:

1) Bitch and moan about all the money we 'waste' on the military to everyone in earshot.
              2) Demand the military respect the red-cockaded woodpecker, the desert tortise and other endangered species by completely altering exercises and training evolutions to the point of absurdity.
              3) Write outraged letters to your senator or congressman when your son/daughter/niece/nephew comes crying to you after dropping out of basic training and sobs about how mean and cruel they were and how unfair the military treated them. Demand that Congress mandate a kinder, gentler basic training that is stress-free and non-threatening.
              4) When a war threatens to break out, dress up like a fucking idiot and go to as many war protests as possible. Treat military personnel like they are warmongers and baby-killers. Suddenly discover that you are an expert in military strategy and geopolitical analysis and loudly share your 'knowledge' with everyone in the goddamn world (especially when I'm sitting behind you in a restaraunt).

Do all of these things and you will get the military you deserve. If friendly fire incidents really bother you guys, then do something to fix it. Vote differently, email your representative in Congress or do something. Believe me, I'm doing my part to avoid being a fuck-up. Now do yours.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"

Edited by - Vargas on February 25 2003 12:35:03
              "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
              "Shadow Box"

Comment

Thank you Vargas. Number 4 is the funniest. It's so hard to sit quiet while people spout their nonsense.

Comment

The French lost 1.4 million troops in WW1. They lost 100,000 in the first weeks of WW2. They had a serious man power shortage from the enormous loses in WW1. That their generals had a poor plan of defense is not the fault of the French soldiers. Many fought in the resistance. Enuf bashing of the French.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
                  "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

C'mon now. It's not okay for Americans to bash the French, granted. But the English certainly have good reason!

Edited by - The Wastrel on February 25 2003 20:10:04

Comment

I'm Canadian. Bashing the French is MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT!

(board breaks with a kick)
                      "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
                      -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
                      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Well if we mass food bomb/drop Iraq we could probably kill 100,000 Iraqis with ease. Food is cheaper than bombs to I think.

Comment

We could assault them with cannonballs full of hair gel, and landmines disguised as leather jackets...

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

4) When a war threatens to break out, dress up like a fucking idiot and go to as many war protests as possible.
                            So I gotta put away my high heels and prom dress?

The anti war demo that got to me was the footage on tv of Vietnam vets, some in wheel chairs, some crying, throwing their medals over the white house fence, saying things like I served my country and it doesn't mean a god damn thing.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
                            "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

It might help the Brit forces if we could provide them with decent radios , and a reliable IFF system. Failing that, maybe we should get them dressed in the old red tunics again , that should avoid any mix ups...

Think I'm getting too old for this...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X