In need of assistance, please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of assistance, please :)

Hey, I'm new to the forums and bullshido, but I really like your guys' philosophy.

While I'm new to bullshido, I'm not new to martial arts and mixed martial arts. In fact, I plan on fighting in MMA tournaments when I get older, perhaps as a career (hopes and dreams ;p). I think I have talent for it, but I won't brag, because it's the other 2 fists opposite of me the ring who determines how good I really am.

Since I am going to get into MMA, I've deemed it absolutely necessary to have an outstanding ground game. I've done boxing for 4 years (since I was 12) and I'm pretty sure that my handwork is solid, I've done very well in greco-roman wrestling privately and wrestling for my school team, and I've recently started conditioning my shins (Muay Thai like) along with working on my kicks. So, I have a really good stand-up and clinch game, and I can do pretty well on the ground, but I seriously need to get better with my submissions. I've watched videos of the Gracies (Rickson is my favorite :D), and I've often tried the subs I watched them use, thinking just watching them would make me a pro at it, but it sadly doesn't work out that way for me, and good sub fighters usually kick my ass on the ground. Just yesterday, I was tapped out by sub like 4 times by guys 20 lbs lighter and 3 inches shorter than me (I'm 6'0 180 lbs., but I fight at 170). So, I'm determined to earn a blackbelt (I know I could just get a crash course, but I want to really pwn shit on the ground) in BJJ. This way, I will become a complete fighter, and when I eventually compete in MMA professionally (hopefully :D), I know the BJJ will help me tap guy guys who have better stand up than me, and defend against and tap out sub fighters and grapplers. People have told me that it can take 5 - 8 years or even more to get a BB in BJJ, but I'm still young and I have plenty of time to devote to MA ;). The earlier I start, the better, I suppose!

The problem is, I don't know where to start looking! I've found plently of places that teach BJJ in my area and I have visited them, but I could beat most of the BB's there on the ground (even the instructor in 1 case), so I've labeled them McDojo's (yay for bullshido.net :D), because I know that real BJJ practitioners would tap me out in a second, because of my poor sub techniques. I'm really confident that I can become a really good at subing my opponenets. But, I need to know where a good non McDojo BJJ instructor in my area is located! I mean, I'd love to be personally trained by someone like Royce or Rickson Gracie, but the pocketbook is a bit light over here ;p. I live in the Rancho Cucamonga, California, zipcode 92336 area, and I am willing to travel as far as 30 - 45 minutes away to get to a good BJJ place. I've done some googling, and I can't find anywhere near-by that is any good for BJJ! I'd appreciate any assistance, thanks in advance!

P.S.

Will my ability to ki-blast from 300 meters help me in MMA? (I kid, I kid ;p)

Also, I'm open to take an advice when it comes to submission techniques from the members here, who I'm guessing know more than a thing or two ;).
    Last edited by access1denied; 3/23/2005 7:40pm, .

What BJJ school and instructors did you visit?

Comment

Most of them were incorporated in gyms that taught other MAs. Like this place called Bodyshots. They don't even call it JuJitsu there, they call it "ground fighting," but I questioned them anyway. They're good for striking arts, but they don't spar very much so I figure it's a McDojo. I've been to dozens of generic places named "JuJitsu" or any of the other spellings where they claim to teach BJJ, but most of them were run by illegal aliens who spoke no more than a dozen words of English. So, I figure I'll stay out of the ghetto areas of my city ;p. I figure BJJ instructors of world repute will be rare in my area, but I'll settle for someone who is less famous, but good at the art. I have a rule of "he has to be able to beat my ass for me to learn from him," so I usually spar the instructor or one of his BB's before I consider lessons. If they don't spary, I just leave. Most of the places did drills and stuff, but had no sparring.

Someone told me that one of the Gracie brothers has is teaching in the LA area. Is that true?
      Last edited by access1denied; 3/23/2005 7:45pm, .

Comment

Also, do I need to post more to put up an avatar and sig? The options aren't given to me in the CP.

Comment

BJJ isn't the be-all end-all of grappling.

You might find a Judo club with an exceptional instructor in your area. They are always extremely cheap and helpfull. They may not have what is often considered the 'best' groundwork, they do have some.

If not Judo, you can be sure there is some real small club out there run by a purple belt that is doing BJJ. Or maybe an obscure Sambo guy who teaches out of his garage. Maybe there is a retired UFC vet or trainer out there.

What I am saying is keep your options open. Sometimes you really gotta dig around. One thing leads to another leads to another. A friend introduces you to a guy who knows a guy who happened to be a professional cut man back in the 80's and his cousin just HAPPENS to be staying with him over the summer, and coincidentally is a black black but has nobody to train with. Who knows maybe you will run into Tyson's old trainer and you get hooked up - would you not jump at the chance to get some of the highest level of instruction in boxing to get some average Joe Shmo purple belt BJJ?

Think about it.

But there also another saying. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

This is no lie. One time I answered the door and a guy was walking around doing a petition looking for signatures. I was wearing a tournament Tshirt. He commented on it. Just so happens he was a black belt in BJJ. No kidding. At first I called BS on him...but after about 15 seconds of talking I realized he knew his shit. His name was David Myer. I looked him up later and sure enough, a BB under one of the Machados. Trippy, eh?

I say stick with your program. Do whatever you can. Get better at boxing. Stick with the wrestling program. Get your physical conditioning down. You are, what, 16? No rush man. You don't need to turn pro at 18. Pace yourself. Get your education out of the way first. Prioritize.

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
            BJJ isn't the be-all end-all of grappling.

You might find a Judo club with an exceptional instructor in your area. They are always extremely cheap and helpfull. They may not have what is often considered the 'best' groundwork, they do have some.

If not Judo, you can be sure there is some real small club out there run by a purple belt that is doing BJJ. Or maybe an obscure Sambo guy who teaches out of his garage. Maybe there is a retired UFC vet or trainer out there.

What I am saying is keep your options open. Sometimes you really gotta dig around. One thing leads to another leads to another. A friend introduces you to a guy who knows a guy who happened to be a professional cut man back in the 80's and his cousin just HAPPENS to be staying with him over the summer, and coincidentally is a black black but has nobody to train with. Who knows maybe you will run into Tyson's old trainer and you get hooked up - would you not jump at the chance to get some of the highest level of instruction in boxing to get some average Joe Shmo purple belt BJJ?

Think about it.

But there also another saying. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

This is no lie. One time I answered the door and a guy was walking around doing a petition looking for signatures. I was wearing a tournament Tshirt. He commented on it. Just so happens he was a black belt in BJJ. No kidding. At first I called BS on him...but after about 15 seconds of talking I realized he knew his shit. His name was David Myer. I looked him up later and sure enough, a BB under one of the Machados. Trippy, eh?

I say stick with your program. Do whatever you can. Get better at boxing. Stick with the wrestling program. Get your physical conditioning down. You are, what, 16? No rush man. You don't need to turn pro at 18. Pace yourself. Get your education out of the way first. Prioritize.
            I figure BJJ isn't the "king" of submission arts, but I mostly made decisions based on the success of BJJ and it's integrationg into general MMA. Dont' get me wrong, I still know who Randy Couture is ;p, so I understand my options are open. If I find an instructor who teaches really good subs, I'd have him teach me even if its not BJJ.

Funny that you ran into him like that, that's how I came accross my instructor ;p. I was play boxing with my buddies like 12 year-olds do, he stops to watch us, and invites me to train with him. He's damned good. He's old now (his 40's) for a boxer, but I think he could go pro and do damned well... I feel really honored that he is teaching me. I know I'm still young, but I've set my heart on MMA, and I intend to go through with it! I plan on going pro sometime in my 20's, definately after college. I'm not going to Stanford or anything... I'll be going to a 2-year for 2 years, then hopefully I can transer to one of the private Clairemont colleges (REALLY good, some of the shcools are ranked higher than ivy leagues). Really convenient that they're in my area! Anyway, thanks for your advice! I'll definately stay on the look out for other grappling arts.

EDIT: I wouldn't leave my trainer to be taught by Tyson himself ;p. We're really close friends as well, real nice he is.
            Last edited by access1denied; 3/23/2005 8:32pm, .

Comment

bump ;) (hope that's allowed lol)

Comment

Originally posted by access1denied
                bump ;) (hope that's allowed lol)
                Nope, it's not.

3 Months, 1000 posts, and 100 reputation points qualifies you to post a signature. But post whoring gets you booted for at least 24 hours.

Comment

Alright, I'll make sure not to bump anything then. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Just one thing: I noticed you mentioned conditioning your shins. I hope you're just talking about doing lots of lowkicks with your bagwork, not going over your shins with a rolling pin or the like. For explanations why that's bad, go to the Health sub-forum and do some searches there.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
                      Nope, it's not.

3 Months, 1000 posts, and 100 reputation points qualifies you to post a signature. But post whoring gets you booted for at least 24 hours.
                      I've been here for well over 3 months, but I kinda pick and choose which topics I post on- what are extremely cool people like me supposed to do if we have to wait until we get 1000 posts? :protest:

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby
                        I've been here for well over 3 months, but I kinda pick and choose which topics I post on- what are extremely cool people like me supposed to do if we have to wait until we get 1000 posts? :protest:
                        Contribute $20 to the upkeep of the site and you bypass all such requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Geijhan
                          Welcome aboard.

Just one thing: I noticed you mentioned conditioning your shins. I hope you're just talking about doing lots of lowkicks with your bagwork, not going over your shins with a rolling pin or the like. For explanations why that's bad, go to the Health sub-forum and do some searches there.
                          I agree with Geijhan. Hard core Muay Thai guys have a reputation of taking extreme measures to toughen their shins, such as kicking trees. The truth is, they kick bannana trees, which have a very soft bark, when a bag is not handy.

I think fighters agree that you have to take care of your body. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of punishment in the ring. :22:
                          Success is the child of audacity. - Benjamin Disraeli

inform yourself you super martial artists of my butt - Netsky the Ninja

You fight like Norwegians, ya fairies! - Russell Crowe on "Fightin Round the World"

Comment

I'm conditioning my shins on the heavy bags. I've seen some people go to drastic measures to condition, but I'm far more concerned about self-preservation than them, apparently. I'll train with the MT guys in my gym to work on bone conditioning and kicks... I've noticed their workout/training regimen is more hardcore than the other styles at the gym.

Comment

If you haven't already, check out the academy/instructor listing on bjj.org

There are several "Gracie" black belts in your area. At least it will give you a starting point. Then go observe or try a class at each place to see if the teaching style is what your looking for.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X