Now this is just plain UN-AMERICAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now this is just plain UN-AMERICAN

What's next? Call off Christmas? Cancel the Super Bowl? Close down McDonald's?

(shakes head sadly)

Originally posted by The Associated Press
    Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

Advertisement

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

yeah, I heard about that on the news in my car this morning. So vereh sad.... this country is going backwards

Comment

Virginia also considers low-riding pants and exposed underwear to be threatening to the social order:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6939796/?GT1=6190

No word if this bill also passed in the state Senate yet.

Comment

Unlawful Gyrations!
        I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Comment

The brazilian soccer federation tried to organize cheerleading in the soccer games here, but it just never caught. Personally I always found that rather silly in a sexy but harmless manner, like Sex and the City.

I believe the brazilian public agreed with me.
          That civilisation may not sink,
          Its great battle lost,
          Quiet the dog, tether the pony
          To a distant post;
          Our master Caesar is in the tent
          Where the maps are spread,
          His eyes fixed upon nothing,
          A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

You want to move to a more european model. Less cheerleading and more attractive nudes.

I do find it increadably entertaining ~all that gyrating then 'OMG a nipple.' at the last superbowl.

Originally posted by Stickx
            It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
            Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Comment

Man, we are used to Carnival here. A bunch of girls in mini skirts doing choreographies and shouting nonsense is rather childish by comparison.
              That civilisation may not sink,
              Its great battle lost,
              Quiet the dog, tether the pony
              To a distant post;
              Our master Caesar is in the tent
              Where the maps are spread,
              His eyes fixed upon nothing,
              A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

This is just more evidence that the USA is becoming Jesusland.
                "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Comment

This guy would've crucified Elvis.

Anyone think to tell him he's an anachronism?
                  Originally posted by pauli
                  i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
                  I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

Originally posted by Feryk
                    This guy would've crucified Elvis.

Anyone think to tell him he's an anachronism?
                    In the Texas State House, he's not.

It's the kind of thing that no one is really "for." There's no "pro-ass-shaking lobby", at least none that go out in public or write things under their real names. And if you say "this is a stupid waste of time, guys" they all say "Are you SUPPORTING this vile trash filth smut perversion protect our children?" And then you have election anxiety and BOOM! You're voting to regulate too-sexy cheerleaders.

Is there any other kind?
                    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

I find it hard to believe in a state with the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, there isn't a massive public campaign from a grass-roots "pro-ass-shaking" lobby.

Comment

And people wonder why I attack christianity so often.
                        "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Comment

It is somewhat ironic that Texas has some of the most raunchy 'private clubs' on the planet.

But it's behind closed doors, so I guess it's okay.

And TBK, this isn't about belief as much as it is about control.

:brave:
                          Originally posted by pauli
                          i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
                          I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

It's very much about belief. Christian like to believe that everyone should act like they do, believe like they do.. thus, christians like to control people.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaiboxerken
                              It's very much about belief. Christian like to believe that everyone should act like they do, believe like they do.. thus, christians like to control people.
                              This is hardly localized to Christianity or religion in general. Psychologists are a fairly liberal group and not only like to have influence in determining the norms of society, but very frequently are in positions to "criminalize" unusual, but normal behavior and classify it as psychologically deviant.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X