Something to try out, would like feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to try out, would like feedback

So this is something I want you to try and tell me what you think... I have been doing this for a little while and has been working really well to loosen someone up under your mount, for a sub..

While mounted and you have an opponent covering up, move your mount high and use a good ole fasion karate chop (knife hand) to the ribs behind your butt or into the side of the head. It is a narrower striking surface and penetrates the ribs better, and has more momentum than a hook. and less padding on the glove..

Let me know what you think. It is hard to get good feedback from students...

If you're trying to 'soften' up someone for a sub from the mount, why don't you just drop some straight punches and elbows? Trying to 'karate chop' someone from the mount is, let me be blunt, kind of a stupid idea. Especially if you're leaning back trying to hit them in the ribs. That's pretty much an open invitation to the guy you're fighting to go for an escape.

Ground and Pound isn't rocket science. You hit him with your hands and elbows (and head-butts, in days past) and he either gives you a submission opporitunity or he taps out. Or passes out, depending on how dumb he is. . .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Comment

I'm not saying lean back, I'll try to be more specific.... Hook either arm that he is covering up with, lean forard just a little and let it rip... try it before you answer.

I'm not saying that this is the only thing to do. I LOVE elbows and strikes, I'm just asking you all to try it and let me know what you think....

Comment

If strikes are involved I just stick with punching to the face. Only the Sak can do a Mongolian Chop.

Comment

well then i geuss i am qualified to answer. Here is the thing, you can't use your legs (duh) or too much trunk rotation (another duh) to make power when you have mounted someone. So, your power is limited to a bit of the upper abs and whatever shoulder, chest, arm muscles are being used. That being said you can use more muscles, in a more powerful motion, by using punches. And obviously elbows add a level of destruction b/c they a real solid(and zero padding).
          ---However---
          it is always good to diversify, and switching it up to head-bod-head-etc., etc. is the right thing to do. And i can see a karate chop being used effectively to the head if you were siting up( i know palm strikes work well in close against the jaw and temple-but this aint a chop). But, the only places on the front of the body that you can cause substanstial pain(the kind that will soften someone up) are the liver, solar-plexus, armpit area. And you aren't going to make enough power to, if you can even reach, the liver solar-plexus with a chop. Possibly you could hit the armpit area if the rotate in an escape attempt, but i see this as a low-percentage attack.
          --Yet---
          If its working for you then keep it up. And i'll try it tomorow and send you my findings.

Comment

Oh, ok.

P.S. Sounds like a shitty idea :icon_albi
            Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

it is a good tactic to distract your opponent to get in a sub, but in this case i don't think it would work. from mount, if your opponent is covering up, you can still get in some good elbows or punches. it also gives them an opening to pull you in close and bridge and roll, if your hand is reaching back to hit him.

Comment

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it. Im gonna be a guest instructor at the grapplers edge in denver this week and I'll try it out there as well. it should give me a better idea of how well it works..

I did forget to mention that you would not want to wind this accross your body. rather reach in an opening manner to wind this. might help... but we will see...

Thanks again.....

Comment

results:
                  not so hot, you cant make the same power, and its not like you are cutting any angles that you can't make with a punch. anyways, i gave it a shot for ya'

Comment

Hey give it a try in sparring. My favorite MMA classes involve headgear and gloves, and working or defending against the GnP.

"Gorilla" punches, from what I've seen, work great. You don't have to load up as much to deliver one and it's a pretty natural movement which makes it mechanically efficient.

Comment

Thanks for the input.. I appreciate it..

Comment

Originally posted by ORION_SOG
                        So this is something I want you to try and tell me what you think... I have been doing this for a little while and has been working really well to loosen someone up under your mount, for a sub..

While mounted and you have an opponent covering up, move your mount high and use a good ole fasion karate chop (knife hand) to the ribs behind your butt or into the side of the head. It is a narrower striking surface and penetrates the ribs better, and has more momentum than a hook. and less padding on the glove..

Let me know what you think. It is hard to get good feedback from students...

You need to be shot. Yeah the technique works but...

A. don't call it a Karate chop
                        B. Use a hammer fist it get's better results

Comment

While I am sure it can work for someone like Mas Oyama, I would assume the average fighter should stick to punching and elbowing.

Comment

Originally posted by omega
                            A. don't call it a Karate chop
                            Omega is correct. Since you are grappling during when using this hand edge strike the appropriate name for it is a 'Judo Chop!'.
                            Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Comment

Personaly I like "JUDO CHOP" sounds better the flying knife hand of death.
                              or would you rather me call it a "shuto ochi" LOL maby everyone would understand that..

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X