Cheongdo Bullfight Draws Growing Crowds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't sure to put this in MA news or not...but it's not really MA news.

Bulls from Japan (left) and Korea butt against each other at the Cheongdo International Bullfighting Festival 2005./Yonhap

Every year, the crowds gather around the dusty arena in southeastern Korea to witness a spectacular battle. While the concept of bullfighting conjures up images of matadors facing off against these magnificent beasts, Korea's own version, that takes place in Cheongdo County in North Gyeongsang Province, pits one angry bull against another.

In Korea, bullfighting dates back a thousand years, with its roots in territorial fights that were used to establish grazing rights.

The Cheongdo International Bullfighting Festival, which takes place in a region that is home to more than half of the country's fighting bulls, is the biggest of Korea's bullfighting events. Nowadays, the festival attracts more and more visitors from abroad as well as from Korea.

The fights also involve prized bulls from the United States, Australia and Japan. And this year, the bullfights take place amid an escalating diplomatic dispute between Korea and Japan over the sovereignty of a small set of islands and Japanese school textbooks that glorify Japan's World War Two aggression.

But inside the ring, it's all about skill and sheer power. And with the sound of a whistle, the fight begins. The bulls shove, butt and grind against each other as their handlers cheer them on. The fight continues until one of the bulls gives up or turns its back.

There is no time limit and the matches can last up to an exhausting one hour. But it's not all about strength and aggression. These carefully-trained bulls are awarded points, in much the same way as martial arts competitions, for moves such as pushing and head attacks. To the uninitiated, the fight may be hard to follow.

But judging from the size of the crowds, over a hundred thousand to be exact, the number of fans are growing.

Arirang TV
    http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...503170012.html

Keep your chin tucked in?
    Wow, the activists would be all over this if it happened in NA. First I've heard of this, anyone got personal experience with this?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Really bad joke by a first-time poster here

So.... is this Bullshido in the purest sense?

"Bwhahahaha! Bull! Ha ha! Shido! Ha.... Ha... ha. Hey, where's everybody going?"

Sorry folks, I've been lurking as a spectator for the longest time, but couldn't resist replying. Love what you folks are doing here on these boards. :laughing7

Comment

It would be more interesting if they put the bulls in a ring against a guy with a spear. Like the Romans, only better because it's azn.

Comment

I never knew they had bulls in Asia. I mean, I knew they had cows, but for some reason them having bulls never clicked.

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
          I never knew they had bulls in Asia. I mean, I knew they had cows, but for some reason them having bulls never clicked.

PL
          Oh. My. Gawd.

And they let you have a driver's license?

I think that's somewhere between retarded and cool. Cool, because they award points and stuff like as if they were human fighters, but kinda retarded, because they're animals. How to the bulls make decisions? Conscious thought/weighing options, pure instinct, random chance, or what? Then again, who's to say that people are really any different. Now that was a jump, this is getting way too philosophical and requiring too much thought power. I'm gone. That's just cool. I think. Or maybe people are retarded, too.
          You're just JEALOUS!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X