Is anyone else a skeptic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else a skeptic?

I got my new issue of "Skeptic" magazine yesterday. It's always a good read. I'd recommend it for Bullshido types.

There's two magazines that I've checked out. The first one was Skeptical Inquirer (from the CSICOP group: http://www.csicop.org/ ). It's OK, but they're pretty serious about things. I was a little frustrated at how they'd take what seemed like obvious bullshido, and rigorously test it. I mean, it needs to be done I suppose, but the topics just seemed so obvious that I wasn't interested in reading up to the conclusions (that was several years ago). I think one was a double blind experiment showing that dowsing doesn't work. How they set up the experiments with the participants was interesting, but that was about it.

Skeptic magazine if put out by a different, but similar group (skeptic society: http://www.skeptic.com/ ). It's got some heavy science in it, but at the same time, they inject a little humor into it to liven things up. Think of this as bullshido hunting outside the dojo.

Either one has excellent examples of seeking out and testing bullshido. My favorite part of Skeptic magazine is where they take a controversial topic and present both sides. Side 1 is argued by one person, then side 2 by another, then side 1 again (often based on the preceding arguments), etc. By the time you reach the end, you've figured out what you think, and have reasons for why you reject the other. The details of some of the science (physics, biology, etc) are at times over my head, but I can generally follow the concepts quite well.

Anyways, if you're a real Bullshido debunker and want some interesting reading, check them out. Might give folks some ideas on bullshido research...

I have one issue that talks about chi/ki, the history of it and the superstitious basis of TCM.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

I'm a member of the JREF.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaiboxerken
        I have one issue that talks about chi/ki, the history of it and the superstitious basis of TCM.
        That sounds familiar... I was checking the web to see what issue that was. I found this article at csicop: http://www.csicop.org/si/9509/chi.html

Comment

Chi and Chicanery was the article I believe, and it was excellent...also they did a lot of stuff with Nan that was very interesting.

I like both rags.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
            I'm a member of the JREF.
            http://www.randi.org/

Cool Phrost! Randi always has an entertaining column in Skeptic...

Comment

Randi is awesome. I recommend any of his books. Especially Flim-Flam and Skeptics Dictionary. His video, Secrets of the Psychics, is also incredibly good.

Comment

Skeptics can become dogmatic if they aren't careful.
                "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Speaking of being Skeptical, anyone seen and heard about this painting?

Being the superstitious guinea I am, I think it's mad mojo. I get weirded out by just looking at it.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Perhaps my poor eyes are missing something there, AM, could you explain what's freaky? It looks like a doll standing next to a kid with weird eyes, and seeing as it is a painting well then the only weirdness comes from the painter, right....

Comment

Supposedly it's haunted and it harnesses evil forces from beyond. People that have been around it or owned it have reportedly gotten deathly ill, gone delusionally psychotic, etc. Children are supposedly profoundly affected by it in negative ways, et. al.

As for the painting, the doll has an empty shell look to it as if it's a soulless body. The hands behind the glass suggest that there's something maliciously grasping at the living and the boy just has this demonic aura about him. The doll is also holding this odd looking can that has roots growing out of it. As you can see from my writing I'm easily swayed by otherworldly seeming things. I think it's my Latin background. Plus it's much more fun to believe in spirits, ghosts, rites, legends, etc. I still think chi fighting is gay though. =-)
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

I'm a member of the swedish society for skeptics.
                        Regarding the CSICOP articles on chi/qi they should be a must read for people here.

By the way doesn't the boy in the picture look like the current president of the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by Zendetta
                          Skeptics can become dogmatic if they aren't careful.
                          Bullshit, a skeptic is a critical thinker, there is no dogma involved and individualism is encouraged.
                          "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Originally posted by AkiraMusashi
                            Supposedly it's haunted and it harnesses evil forces from beyond. People that have been around it or owned it have reportedly gotten deathly ill, gone delusionally psychotic, etc. Children are supposedly profoundly affected by it in negative ways, et. al.

As for the painting, the doll has an empty shell look to it as if it's a soulless body. The hands behind the glass suggest that there's something maliciously grasping at the living and the boy just has this demonic aura about him. The doll is also holding this odd looking can that has roots growing out of it. As you can see from my writing I'm easily swayed by otherworldly seeming things. I think it's my Latin background. Plus it's much more fun to believe in spirits, ghosts, rites, legends, etc. I still think chi fighting is gay though. =-)
                            Dude now you have me feeling all quirky, and slightly freaked out. Thanks.

Comment

...Evil forces from beyond...

Are animals fearful of it or just dumb humans?

Let's invent a superbeing to counteract the fear so we can sleep all cuddly in the dark tonight.

Is it "EVIL" because it looks like GW Bush?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X