Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AkiraMusashi
    Thorgrim went out like a bitch though.
    Hey, he called out Conan! You just don't fuck with a Cimmerian's tribe, decapitate moms, take paw's sword, and walk away...
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

I'm surprized the number of people here that have some interest in other skeptic causes.

When you see BS on the net for subjects in general, you go to scopes, csicop, skeptic, etc. It would be cool if people curious about BS in martial arts came to view bullshido.com in the same way.

"Hey, I wonder if they covered this at Bullshido??"

Comment

Originally posted by yasuri
        I'm surprized the number of people here that have some interest in other skeptic causes.

When you see BS on the net for subjects in general, you go to scopes, csicop, skeptic, etc. It would be cool if people curious about BS in martial arts came to view bullshido.com in the same way.

"Hey, I wonder if they covered this at Bullshido??"
        The thing is, Snopes and such prove that things are BS. The best we can really do is prove that Style X is illogical (death touch?), but not actually prove it is BS, since the only *true* way to do it would be to have a life or death match with the style's practitioners. You can say that they don't compete or do well in competitions and their claims of why are illogical, but people will always buy into "one hit kill" BS.

You can totally expose a fruad like Phil Elmore or Ashida Kim, and they'll STILL get followers. :(

PL

Comment

Well, some of the BS can be debunked. Take the Yellow Bamboo powers, for an example. However, like other paranormal BS, people will still believe it, even when it's been debunked.
          "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Yeah, I guess that was more of my point. We can debunk things an infinite amount of times, and people will still believe in them. =/

PL

Comment

What about keeping an organized list of Yellow Bamboos and such? Just a brief summary piece on each controversial group (or technique). Maybe list out the status for each one? (I just looked at how http://www.snopes.com/ is organized now).

Probably difficult getting any agreement on who would be listed and what to put, but it would be convenient to people passing by and wondering about their local martial arts school. The big problem would probably be liability in organizing a page on some MA chain and labeling them as BS.

Perhaps some critical analysis, not by individual school, but by style? List pros/cons?

Or even less specific - just some FAQ guides organized by MA families?

Comment

Originally posted by yasuri
                What about keeping an organized list of Yellow Bamboos and such? Just a brief summary piece on each controversial group (or technique). Maybe list out the status for each one? (I just looked at how http://www.snopes.com/ is organized now).

Probably difficult getting any agreement on who would be listed and what to put, but it would be convenient to people passing by and wondering about their local martial arts school. The big problem would probably be liability in organizing a page on some MA chain and labeling them as BS.

Perhaps some critical analysis, not by individual school, but by style? List pros/cons?

Or even less specific - just some FAQ guides organized by MA families?
                WAY too many schools/systems to even being. New ones popping up left and right, and some styles have both hardcore schools and panzy schools. The general faq would be better, but it SHOULD be common sense. "one hit kills = bs, 100000 year old style = bs", etc.

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
                  WAY too many schools/systems to even being. New ones popping up left and right, and some styles have both hardcore schools and panzy schools. The general faq would be better, but it SHOULD be common sense. "one hit kills = bs, 100000 year old style = bs", etc.

PL

Yeah I know. I was sort of coming to that conclusion.

I guess a FAQ might be the best thing. I wonder how many people pick a martial arts school based on anything other than location, cost, maybe having heard of the place, etc. For me, a friend said "hey, there's a karate school close by, go sign up!". He badgered me for a while and I finally went. There's quite a few schools in my area with a wide range of offerings, so I went to my school as a matter of luck, knowing nothing of what I was getting into.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X