Is anyone else a skeptic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AkiraMusashi
    The String theory is easy to test, assuming we had a particle accelerator the size of Jupiter. They do have some ideas as to its existence through ghost phenomena when two particles alter to match each other regardless of the distance apart. Another theory that's interesting is the graviton particles being universe or membrane permeable which would explain why they are the weakest of the four forces. Phrost what's your Avatar from, I've been meaning to ask that. Is it a SWAT guy taking out some rifle wielding redneck?
    Yeah, M theory. I admit, it all sounds very exciting (parallel universes, come on!), but until it can be actually tested, we shouldn't get our hopes up. Besides, hasn't Stephen Hawking proved that there are no other universes? I forgot how exactly. I think he prooved that information CAN leak out of a black hole, so it doesn't just get "stuck" there or disappear forever.

PL

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, that is a SWAT guy taking out a redneck.

By the way, what's the name of that painting. It's REALLY creepy...

Comment

Fabric of the Cosmos is an interesting book of what exactly is reality, time and it's context with physics.

What's Reiki?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Reiki is like healing people through the power of rocks or something. I think magnetic fields produced by the rocks are supposed to heal you or something. Which doesn't make any sense. The entire Earth produces a magnetic field of 0.5 gauss or 5e-5 Tesla. We can create magnets to like 20 Tesla in laboratories, and people studying those haven't had anything happen to them.

PL

Comment

I already cited the friction between relativity and quantum theory - it went far beyond Einstein. Einstein was alive for the intial experimental evidence of quantum theory, yet he never embraced it. A similiar revolution and conflict happened between relatvity and the older Newtonian laws.
          Gee.. the scientific community likes to have repeatability in it's experiments and peer-review. This isn't an overnight process. You are still attacking science.

They simply die off and the new gaurd, unencumbered by the older bias, makes groundbreaking discoveries in directions that were never even imagined, let alone tested, by the elders.
          Bullshit. Science is not a community of guards, elders, alchemists and wizards. You've been reading too many fantasy novels. Stop with it already.

ScientISTS, on the other hand, are human beings who are prone to human foibles like bias, reflex prejudice, and bad manners.
          Thus the importance of peer-review and repeatability of experiments.

What's Reiki?
          Japanese myth-based "medicine" that supposedly heals people by transferring the "conscious energy" that we all have, manipulating it and fixing it. It's like therapeutic touch, without the touching.
          "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
            Yeah, M theory. I admit, it all sounds very exciting (parallel universes, come on!), but until it can be actually tested, we shouldn't get our hopes up. Besides, hasn't Stephen Hawking proved that there are no other universes? I forgot how exactly. I think he prooved that information CAN leak out of a black hole, so it doesn't just get "stuck" there or disappear forever.

PL
            Well, Hawkin radiation from a black hole just means that things can come back from inside a black hole. Kinda like a frog can come back from being inside a blender and trickle down the outside of the glass. Because stuff can slowly drift back out the hole you can't think off it as closed system/universe from the inside. It doesn't say anything at all about parallel universes just baby ones inside black holes.

Besides get with the times!! Everyone at oxford knows twister theory is the new string theory.

Originally posted by Stickx
            It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
            Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Comment

PL

Well Hawking's law of Thermodynamics states that Blackholes seep radiation and other such twisted matter until they give out and finally stabilize. This doesn't mean there aren't other unis, it just means that blackholes don't permeate the universe as some people had thought. It just causes an extreme warp in the ST fabric. Exactly how much force it would take to tear a hole in the fabric is unknown and could only be figured out if indeed gravitons do permeate the fabric and then I'm sure something could be manipulated to poke a tiny hole to transmit data between this uni and another one. One has to wonder if a massive enough blackhole were to form and tear a hole, would the uni drain out, implode or who knows. As for M theory, that's interesting stuff, 11 ST dimensions =-) Ever seen a Calabi-Yau model to demonstrate M theory? I'll see if I can find one, if you want to read about this stuff http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/bh_home.html is a good resource for info on blackholes, strings and M theory as well as Hawking's law of Thermodynamics.

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Reiki is like healing people through the power of rocks or something. I think magnetic fields produced by the rocks are supposed to heal you or something. Which doesn't make any sense. The entire Earth produces a magnetic field of 0.5 gauss or 5e-5 Tesla. We can create magnets to like 20 Tesla in laboratories, and people studying those haven't had anything happen to them.

PL
                Reiki is is a particualr "brand" of energy work. Kind of like "laying on of hands". I've never been trained in it, partially because it seems to attract alot of weirdo, hippie-lady types. Rhymes with 'flaky'. It has nothing to do with rocks except for the thype of people whio are drawn to it often are the crystal-hugging type. Magnetic metaphors are used to describe the theory, but it is psuedo science terminology to explain a 'mystical' experience.

I have had it done on me and I felt it. Didn't exacly change my life, but it was relaxing.

Note to Ken; NOTHING in that prior statement regarding an *experience* implied
                any *belief* in or *proof* of the supernatural. Are you begining to get the picture?

Nevertheless, the *experience* was subjectively 'real'.
                "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

You don't have to try and defend your beliefs to me. I already understand that you are a woo-woo bleever.
                  "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Our reality according to M theory.

Cooler looking one.

Ever seen Event Horizon? Kind of an errie concept if we indeed are ever able to permeate our uni.

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Originally posted by Zendetta
                      Kind of like "laying on of hands"

I've had Paladins do this on me when I was about to die in EQ many many years ago. Saved my ass in a pinch =-)

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Originally posted by Thaiboxerken
                        You are still attacking science.
                        No. I am attacking the fact that you worship it like an idol, and that you lack the courage to question your own assumptions.

I am attacking human nature, and its tendency to "groupthink".

I am also directly stating that the scientific method (as opposed to this "Science" that you repeatedly invoke) is a potent tool to overcome this tendency, but that it doesn't insure that it won't sneak in anyway. Not at all.

PS - when I am talking to a group that belives in , say, Chi, my script is something like:
                        "trust your own experience, not the word of an expert"
                        "keep your BS detector finely tuned, 'cuz there's alot of BS out there."
                        "Most important - do the experiment (or technique), talk about it openly and compare results, and repeat the experiment."

Comment

You don't have to try and defend your beliefs to me. .
                          You are fucking right about that.

I already understand that you are a woo-woo bleever.
                          In other words, your prejudices and desire to be "right" trump your desire to get more information. That is an intellectually chickenshit position, and I think that it reveals the limits of your scepticism.

You should be careful tossing around words like "understand".
                          Last edited by Zendetta; 3/16/2005 5:30pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by AkiraMusashi
                            I've had Paladins do this on me when I was about to die in EQ many many years ago. Saved my ass in a pinch =-)
                            I would be cautious about letting paladins lay hands on your ass. ;-)

Comment

Science is a method... it's not a dogma like just about every system of belief out there.

The scientific method itself is the only means we have of truly understanding the universe. If you want to pretend otherwise, fine. Just don't get upset that you're labeled a crackpot for it, because it's 100% justified.

Belief is for weak-minded people who need simple explanations for things... like "chi", "ghosts", "Heaven", etc.

If this offends you, oh well. You should take exception to your own shortcomings instead of getting offended that they're being pointed out.

Comment

Hey Phrost,
                                Do you 'get' what I'm saying here?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X