Is anyone else a skeptic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astrosmurf
    I'm a member of the swedish society for skeptics.
    Regarding the CSICOP articles on chi/qi they should be a must read for people here.

By the way doesn't the boy in the picture look like the current president of the USA?
    I was just going to say the same thing... :adora:

Comment

By the way doesn't the boy in the picture look like the current president of the USA?
      I guess I'm not the only one who noticed...

BTW, welcome, Astrosmurf...What an interesting moniker I might add...

Comment

Originally posted by Thaiboxerken
        a skeptic is a critical thinker
        Famous last words.

Saying it doesn't make it so. The paradigms of even very level-headed people are based on stacks of unconcious assumptions about what *is*.

A point I have been trying vainly to make on several threads is that, paraphrasing Voltaire, "Reason is a whore". Once people's emotional reactions are up they become partially to wholly closed to new information.

In politics, religion, and much of philosophy, this tendency tends to lead to utter retardation - see the many political threads on this site.

And even the "objective" mind of the scientist, theoretically the ultimate sceptic by virtue of profession, can be become burdened with this mental baggage. Gut-level commitment to the pre-existing paradigm gives an unconcious barrier to ideas of what is possible, and new information and perspectives are resisted.

Einstein, for example, never quite came to believe the new-fangled quantum theories.
        "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Originally posted by Zendetta
          Einstein, for example, never quite came to believe the new-fangled quantum theories.
          I don't really believe that Einstein never believed that.

Comment

Saying it doesn't make it so. The paradigms of even very level-headed people are based on stacks of unconcious assumptions about what *is*.

A point I have been trying vainly to make on several threads is that, paraphrasing Voltaire, "Reason is a whore". Once people's emotional reactions are up they become partially to wholly closed to new information.
            A group of critical thinkers that constantly attack each others ideas should be more robust to incorporating bullshit into their view of the world than groups who don't. The individual skeptic/scientist might easily go astray.

Comment

Originally posted by Reese
              Prove that you don't believe.

Comment

A group of critical thinkers that constantly attack each others ideas should be more robust to incorporating bullshit into their view of the world than groups who don't. The individual skeptic/scientist might easily go astray.
                Totally. Third party verification is our only weapon against the infinite regress of our own subjectivity!

But, being human, even groups of the sceptical and well intentioned can and do fall prey to groupthink hivemindedness. Today's revolutionaries could be tommorrow's Inquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by Zendetta
                  Prove that you don't believe.
                  Prove that you just wrote that.

Comment

Prove that you just wrote that.
                    Wrote what?

Hey, how do you know what you believe anyway?

Comment

My wife tells me what to believe, go argue with her.

Comment

My wife tells me what to believe, go argue with her.
                        Speaking of evil forces, what doe sshe think of the creepy painting?

I think its the pres as a young damien antichrist.

Comment

She saw the resemblance immediately. it's because we're skeptically connected, you know, on a cosmic level. almost like lesbians.

Comment

Originally Posted by Zendetta
                            But, being human, even groups of the sceptical and well intentioned can and do fall prey to groupthink hivemindedness. Today's revolutionaries could be tommorrow's Inquisition

I agree. As long as were only human that is always a risk.

Comment

Einstein was skeptical about quantum theory, however, if they had the evidence to show him, I'm sure he would've changed his mind. There is no zealotry about being skeptical, because a skeptic is merely one who seeks knowledge based on evidence. A zealot just assumes knowledge based on faith.
                              "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Einstein believed in QP to an extent but questioned it due to the fact his theories of General Relativity worked for large things. He spent the rest of his life trying to find a unified theory of the two schools of thought. Now we have String Theory =-)
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X