Grip Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grip Training

What are good things to do to strenghthin your grip? The gym I just joined has rock climbing tredmill things- so I've been training on those alot hopeing to toughin up my grip
    I know some kung fu people who toss around a heavy sack of metal pellets and that seems like it works well so im looking into getting one of those.
    any other sugestions

also will doing these types of excersizes help?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...WristCurl.html

thank ya any input will be appreciated

If you're not currently undertaking an otherwise sound, fully-body protocol, that'd be your first step. Rows, deadlift, chin-ups and the like involve gripping; and often you'll find your grip failing before the targeted muscles. Start there.

If/when you need/desire greater focus then the sky's the limit (as far as loading method). The hands and wrists can do a lot of wierd stuff. Having said that, I used to screw around with as many as 5 different grip/finger/forearm exercises. I'm down to 1. Just a basic palm crush; similar to your basic hand gripper thing, but with a home-made contraption.

Comment

Farmer Walks.

PL

Comment

Climbing rope is also excellent for grip strength training.

Comment

Speaking of...you.

You know where I can find the clip from which you quote "a giant bucket"?

Comment

Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Originally posted by antonanton
              I know some kung fu people who toss around a heavy sack of metal pellets and that seems like it works well so im looking into getting one of those.
              I believe you are laboring under a misconception. The sack full of metal pellets is not for strengthening your grip. It's actually just a training sack used to practice annual vigilante style heavy sack beatings. It's a vulgar chinese ritual often set to classical music and popularized in the hit 1970's chinese auto-erotic instructional manual: "1001 Things To Do With a Sack Full of Dead Puppies."
              A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Comment

Try picking up a CoC gripper from ironmind.com. It'll only drop you $20 and it'll give you a good workout. If you're really feeling motivated, you can grab a thick bar for around $60-80, starting from 2" and going to 3" and use those for your upper body lifts.
                SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

get one of those powerballs
                  http://www.paramountzone.com/powerball.htm

Comment

Nothing beats pull ups, chin ups and rope climbing for grip training. Take a towel, throw it over the chinup bar, grab each side of the towel and do pullups that way.

Comment

Do a search hrere. It was about a year ago... Physical Training forum?

There was some one saying holding 2 plate between fingers and thumbs.
                      One larger plate and one smaller.

I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: this thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ght=Grip+Plate
                      Last edited by poet; 3/15/2005 11:09am, . Reason: Add Link

Comment

Originally posted by poet
                        Do a search hrere. It was about a year ago... Physical Training forum?

There was some one saying holding 2 plate between fingers and thumbs.
                        One larger plate and one smaller.

I haven't tried it yet.
                        Plate pinching, fun stuff. Personally I only pinch with the thumb and the last two fingers, those tend to be the weakest areas of a person's grip. When you do them, make sure you turn them both inboard so the smooth sides are out, so that way you can't cheat and hook your fingers under the lip of the plate. Start with two 5's, then go to three 5's, two 10s, and so on. For a goal to set, John Brookfield can pinch grip two 45s in each hand so if you can get at least half that, you've gotten pretty strong :)
                        SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

Do construction work for a few years. Your grip will be like a vise.

Comment

Originally posted by keinhaar
                            Speaking of...you.

You know where I can find the clip from which you quote "a giant bucket"?
                            "Rejected".

It used to be free, but I guess it got so popular that the guys who made it copywrited it and sell a DVD now. Still... I'm sure you can find it. :)

PL

Comment

I second the Farmer's Walks.

Comment

Working...
                              X