Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparring creates bad habits

"You get Bad habits from sparring..."

I've heard this line time and again, and although I might have tunnel vision on the subject due to my own training habits, I simply can't see it. Just to be the devils advocate, lets think about this for a moment.

In the beginning, man knew nothing. Through pragmatic means (trial and error) man learns new things...what to do...what not to do...etc. It's the same thing with fighting and fighting techniques.

Every method of fighting on the earth today was created at some point from pragmatic methods, or past information which itself was gathered by pragmatic means. It can also be said that some people took this limited knowledge and through logic may have conceived other techniques based on previous similar experiences (This could be where the theorists came from). Some of what was theorized was tested and some was not. It can then be said that all these methods were passed from teacher to student and so forth till today...some evolving with times, and some not. Some theory, some pragmatic, somewhere in between, and sometimes to both extremes.

Now you have all these styles out there, all limited in some form or fashion, dictating what most people do in a fight. Now you've got two different types, most people are robots, doing only what they're told without thinking as to why, or even thinking logically if it may not work. They just do it on blind faith. Then there are a few people out there that do question all that is learned, they think for themselves, knowing that their survival in this subject is ultimately up to them.

Sparring/fighting is essential to combat, and the human body adapts almost at a subconcious level...if you let it. If you don't keep your hands up and start getting hit in the face a lot, odds are you are going to start raising up the guard. If you keep your weight too forward and people are constantly sweeping you, you're probably going to keep more aware of what that front leg is doing and put less weight on in when you're in that danger zone. If people are constantly going for your legs, you're eventually going to sprawl your legs out naturally to a degree in a simple effort to keep your legs away from the attack. Etc...etc...etc. It causes one to think about what they're doing, and informs them quite honestly, as to what they're doing wrong.

Granted, if you were to take a completely clean slate, and throw them into a fight, odds are that they will get pummeled. Training this way with a noob consistently, without teaching at least the basics, will create a long learning curve. But bad habits? I still fail to see what bad habits could come. Fighting is like a filter, it will weed out the useless techniques and literally create effective ones.

So for those of you who believe that hard sparring creates bad habits, please, elaborate. For those of you that think the opposite, please, give your side of the coin in regards to when people think like this.

I don't think hard sparring itself gives bad habits, but if you can't even do a basic technique right then there's really no point in sparring (as you mentioned) because you just end up practicing the technique wrong and then you have to go back and fix it. I also think if you want to spar using more advanced techniques then it would be advisable to understand what it is and how it's supposed to work. Then practice it in drills to get the feeling then use it in sparring.

These are just my opinions so take it for what it is.

:\

Comment

sparring shows me what i am doing wrong and helps me correct it, and tells me what i'm doing right and how to capitalize on it.

plus as an added bonus, sparring regularly with people who are better than me, reminds me that i am not a badass, and that i shouldn't get into fights outside the ring. regualr asswhoopings build humilty and character.
      "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
      "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
      "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
      "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Sparring CAN create bad habits when done wrong.
        Last edited by HAPKO3; 3/14/2005 9:49pm, .
        You say what about my rice?

Comment

Also, it's all a matter of context. For example, sparring grappling only, which I do a lot of, can and probably does create bad habits as far as MMA fighting is concerned, and vice versa. This isn't a reason not to spar, that would be stupid, but it's something to keep in mind.
          Last edited by HAPKO3; 3/14/2005 9:50pm, .

Comment

Yeah, I did TKD for a year, then tried sparring with MT rules at the last NW throwdown. I got my ass handed to me, and if Emevas was actually going hard, he would have broken my arm, because I was so used to blocking kicks with my arms.

Basically, if you spar with hard contact, limited rules, and relatively little protection, you should be fine.

PL

Comment

sparing with rules creates bad habits, if you ever fight without those rules, or with different rules. that also goes for gi/no gi sparing. if you always rely on grips involving a gi, you will be screwed if someone isnt wearing one.

but if you always plan on sparing with a specific set of rules, it doesnt really create any bad habits

Comment

It can still create bad habits because of things like the level of contact. For example, when people spar lightly, they tend to ignore leg kicks and body shots. When it comes to actually fighting, they soon discover that both of these attacks can and do end fights. Sparring too heavy can also be bad, since it makes people stick to what they know and be afraid to experiment with new things, thus retarding their development.

Does this mean that one should not spar? Fuck no. Both light and heavy contact sparring is a valuable training tool. Does this mean that one should not spar with limited rules? Once again, no. One should, however, keep these limitations in mind and work around them.

Comment

yes, sparring creates bad habits, like the willingness to solve problems with violence

Comment

SHUT UP.
                    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

Sparring Creates Bad Habits and i agree. Such as in Kyokushin - no punches to head and no kicks to groin, limits you, as i've seen and experienced on my own.

But then again, Trial and Error is always good so keep doing it until you'll be the best fighter in the world :)

Xing Yi and Bagua dont limit you though you can hit anywhere with pretty much correct technique because its just so simple... By the way, we've finally done a form of sparring, 3 any hits (punches, for now) by the attacker, 3 blocks with only one hand, the blocker :) Dont worry, it was alive, very alive, just one hand, And there's something about this kind of training that makes sense - If you can block well with one hand, you can block even better with two, so thats really good.

Comment

Originally posted by XVampireX
                        Sparring Creates Bad Habits and i agree. Such as in Kyokushin - no punches to head and no kicks to groin, limits you, as i've seen and experienced on my own.

But then again, Trial and Error is always good so keep doing it until you'll be the best fighter in the world :)

Xing Yi and Bagua dont limit you though you can hit anywhere with pretty much correct technique because its just so simple... By the way, we've finally done a form of sparring, 3 any hits (punches, for now) by the attacker, 3 blocks with only one hand, the blocker :) Dont worry, it was alive, very alive, just one hand, And there's something about this kind of training that makes sense - If you can block well with one hand, you can block even better with two, so thats really good.
                        You're training in shit and you're wasting your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Vankuen
                          Fighting is like a filter, it will weed out the useless techniques and literally create effective ones.
                          Fighting IS a filter

sparring is NOT fighting

Sparring 'light' is not fighting. People seldom have enough honesty to acknowledge what hits could/would do and you end up with splatter joust foreplay.

Sparring 'HARD' is still not fighting. You have to take something out or else send people to the hospital everytime.

Small changes in what is ALLOWED can drastically change the results. I'm not even talking about t3h d34dly eye poke or anything like that. Headbutts for example, who spars hard with headbutts? Elbows anyone? Adding more protective equipment makes 'HARD' sparring about as REAL as going 'lite'.

Sparring isn't a total waste of time, but too much emphasis on sparring can stunt your development and give you a false sense of your abilities.

The biggest benefit is the intensity and the contact. If you have never had to deal with physical intensity, sparring can help you learn to stay 'calm in the storm' and get over some of the fear of getting hit or manhandled.
                          If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Comment

So little Idea, how come you didn't want to spar me when we had the mini Throwdown? I wanted to try my spinning back kick!!
                            "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Originally posted by XVampireX
                              By the way, we've finally done a form of sparring, 3 any hits (punches, for now) by the attacker, 3 blocks with only one hand, the blocker :) Dont worry, it was alive, very alive, just one hand, And there's something about this kind of training that makes sense - If you can block well with one hand, you can block even better with two, so thats really good.
                              I'm happy you liked it, but you don't know what true sparring is until you get to the point where you are thinking "holy shit, I'm waking up in the hospital tomorrow!".

And... if you were thinking that in those drills.... well... :)

PL

Comment

Working...
                              X