X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better late than never

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050310/323/fe375.html

Spanish Muslims issue fatwa against Al-Qaeda's Osama Bin Laden
    MADRID (AFX) - Spain's Islamic Commission, which groups the nation's Muslim community, said it was issuing a fatwa against Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden,
    'We are going to issue a fatwa (religious decree) against Bin Laden this afternoon,' Mansour Escudero, who leads the Federation of Islamic religious entities (Feeri) and co-secretary general of the Spanish governmenmt-created Commission told AFP.
    The Commission invited Spanish-based imams to condemn terrorism at Friday prayers, when the whole country will be remembering the 191 people who were killed in the train blasts and the 1,900 injured a year ago.
    The attacks have been blamed on mainly Moroccan Islamic extremists loyal to Bin Laden.
    I am happy to see this. This is the first example I've seen of Muslim clerics issuing a fatwa against Bin Laden or other terrorists. It's about 3 years late, but at least it's happened.
    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Thread hijack:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/10/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

OSLO, Norway (Reuters) - Swedish home furnishings giant IKEA is guilty of sex discrimination by showing only men putting together furniture in its instruction manuals, Norway's prime minister says.

IKEA, which has more than 200 stores in 32 nations, fears it might offend Muslims by depicting women assembling everything from cupboards to beds. Its manuals show only men or cartoon figures whose sex is unclear.

"This isn't good enough," Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik was quoted Thursday as telling the daily Verdens Gang. "It's important to promote attitudes for sexual equality, not least in Muslim nations."

"They should change this," he said. "There's no justification for it."

IKEA stores are visited by 365 million people a year around the world. Many products have to be assembled by the buyer -- the "flat pack" concept saves the company huge amounts in transport, storage and sales space.

Bondevik added: "I myself have great problems with screwing together such furniture."

Verdens Gang quoted an IKEA spokeswoman as saying: "We have to take account of cultural factors. In Muslim countries it's problematic to use women in instruction manuals."

The company, however, is taking issue with the report.

"Both men and women are featured in our product assembly instructions," the spokeswoman told CNN/Money. "We were sorry to see this report."

Click here for more on discrimination cases.

=====

Obviously, it would take someone more familiar with the manuals to determine the extent of women present in their manuals. But if this indeed is the case, I wonder if IKEA could precipitate greater gender-equality in the Muslim world. You know, high-quality, inexpensive furniture with women being shown able to put it together.

It could start a revolution! Maybe people would want the furniture more than cultural repression!

Comment

the donkey drives the cart ... not the other way around ...

if market research shows that muslim customers are offended by women putting toghther furniture ... then why show it in the manuals going to that region ... after all the prime purpose of any company is to [fill in blank] ... =)
      totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Comment

Originally posted by nasty_totoro
        the donkey drives the cart ... not the other way around ...

if market research shows that muslim customers are offended by women putting toghther furniture ... then why show it in the manuals going to that region ... after all the prime purpose of any company is to [fill in blank] ... =)

OOOOHHH!!! It's a MADLIB! I used to love these as a kid:

... after all the prime purpose of any company is to FOLD SPACE TIME
        "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
        -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
        -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
        -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
        -Don Gwinn

Comment

Originally posted by Peter H.
          OOOOHHH!!! It's a MADLIB! I used to love these as a kid:

... after all the prime purpose of any company is to FOLD SPACE TIME

stuck in the 24th century again Captain Picard ... =)
          totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Comment

Originally posted by samurai_steve
            Thread hijack:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/10/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

OSLO, Norway (Reuters) - Swedish home furnishings giant IKEA is guilty of sex discrimination by showing only men putting together furniture in its instruction manuals, Norway's prime minister says.

IKEA, which has more than 200 stores in 32 nations, fears it might offend Muslims by depicting women assembling everything from cupboards to beds. Its manuals show only men or cartoon figures whose sex is unclear.

"This isn't good enough," Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik was quoted Thursday as telling the daily Verdens Gang. "It's important to promote attitudes for sexual equality, not least in Muslim nations."

"They should change this," he said. "There's no justification for it."

IKEA stores are visited by 365 million people a year around the world. Many products have to be assembled by the buyer -- the "flat pack" concept saves the company huge amounts in transport, storage and sales space.

Bondevik added: "I myself have great problems with screwing together such furniture."

Verdens Gang quoted an IKEA spokeswoman as saying: "We have to take account of cultural factors. In Muslim countries it's problematic to use women in instruction manuals."

The company, however, is taking issue with the report.

"Both men and women are featured in our product assembly instructions," the spokeswoman told CNN/Money. "We were sorry to see this report."

Click here for more on discrimination cases.
            Damn, that's two layers of stupid.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X