Alliance Marietta BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alliance Marietta BJJ

In an effort to get back some of my lost groundwork and shore up my skill there, I am headed out to Alliance Marietta to see if I would like crosstraining there (one of my prereqs for a school is proximity and this is as close as it could be).

The website is http://alliancemarietta.com . At one point I know we had a couple members, Cupacabra and Ravenink, that trained there. Does anyone else have any experience there? The owner, Bull was nice enough to host us for one of the previous Throwdowns, so I have had some interaction with him; he's quite a cool guy.
    Locu5
    combat sports hobbyist

I've been lurking here for about a year, but I had to register to reply to this. I moved down to Atlanta in early 2004, and discovered Bull Shaw about halfway through that year. I signed up with him and trained there for a month, before a sudden job change had me move to the moutains in Northeast GA. (Now I commute down to Athens to study at the Hardcore Gym once a week.)

I had a great experience at Alliance Marietta. They were just getting started in the June-July timeframe I was there, but that meant I got lots of personal attention. In fact, several times I was the only student. The atmosphere is friendly, the instructors are perceptive and attentive to detail, and the price is very good for Atlanta (trust me, I shopped around). At the time, I was just getting back into BJJ after taking a year off to recover from a (BJJ-related) back injury. They helped me adjust and move into things at my own speed, which was a tremendous boost to my long-term dedication to the martial arts.

Moreover, they helped me to assess my strengths and weaknesses and form a game plan from that. I remember the day I was told, "Dude, you weigh 135 lbs. Face it, you're pretty much always going to be working guard, at least until you get really, really good. Focus on getting a good guard game, then expand out." (This was followed by intense drilling on the triangle choke and omoplata.)

Take care,

The Professor

Comment

One of my friends started training at Alliance Atlanta but he goes to school in Montreal. Up there, he goes to the Brazilian Top Team school run by Fabio Holanda. According to him, the instruction at Alliance is far, far better. The students at Alliance are also of higher caliber.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

Comment

Moved to GBS... unless you're saying that these guys are Bullshido...

Comment

I will pay to see any man call Bull bullshido to his face! Actually..he's too friendly, he'd probably just laugh and give you a noogie.

Comment

I read this and laughed, I am glad someone put it in the right forum.

Comment

Had a good time at Alliance. Fun class.
              Locu5
              combat sports hobbyist

Comment

All things Alliance are 100% legit.

Comment

Yeah we had a purple belt, from the Roswell Alliance school, running the class. He went over some fun takedowns. The guys all seemed nice and the 4 I got to roll with were all cool. Lots of talk of NAGA and other comps; a real good overall feel to the school. Plus it helps that Bull Shaw is so laid-back and easy to talk to.
                  Locu5
                  combat sports hobbyist

Comment

alliance marietta is a great school. I haven't been since the beginning of this semester (as why I haven't been posting on bullshido), but i may start back shortly depending on weather or not I take summer corses. Trying to have a 8-5 job and then go to school really puts a damper on your training.

A few words about the school,

Bull kicks ass and he doesn't teach any bullshit techniques that won't work.

There really isn't anything else I can say about it.

Are you taking Day or night classes?
                    How many people come to the classes now? when I was there it was pretty much 3 people every night.

Comment

Night. I may go during a day class here or there, depending on my schedule. I was just looking for a good place to cross-train and will definitely be staying there for that. There were about 15 people in the class.
                      Locu5
                      combat sports hobbyist

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X