Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that make me proud as an instructor

Two recent events made me so proud of my students:

Last week and 8 year old girl was working with a ten year old girl on Ikkyu, after the take down and submission, the 10 year old is lying on the mat saying, "Ow that hurt."

The 8 year old looks down at her and says, "Get up, you're not dead yet"

Last night, during randori, one of my adult students gave his back to a twelve year old. I yelled next time he did it, to punch him. A few passes later, the guy gives his back again, and the kid drops a punch into his kidney.

I almost cried.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

I know how you feel Peter:

Last Saturday I watched one of my students execute a perfect double leg take down and transition to a side headlock pin. His opponent bridged, rolled, and stood up hard to escape. They tied up while standing and the first one threw a perfect hip throw, and got rerolled by the other. Another textbook escape ensues and they stand up again.

This is all pretty unimpressive except for one thing:

They were both 4 years old.

It was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen preschoolers do. Brought a tear to my eye! I'm gonna start taking pictures.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapper

Last Saturday I watched one of my students execute a perfect double leg take down and transition to a side headlock pin. His opponent bridged, rolled, and stood up hard to escape. They tied up while standing and the first one threw a perfect hip throw, and got rerolled by the other. Another textbook escape ensues and they stand up again.

It was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen preschoolers do. Brought a tear to my eye! I'm gonna start taking pictures.
      Damn! Sounds like they're ready for their blackbelts!

Comment

This is wrestling...not TKD!
        And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Can you bring your four year olds in to teach my club some things?

Comment

Awesome. I know adult pro's who can't do that when the fight is choreographed.
            "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
            -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
            -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
            -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
            -Don Gwinn

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X