Stage Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stage Combat

A friend of mine runs a course in stage combat and I thought I'd go down to have a look one day.

Its great fun! And there's a hell of a lot more to it than you'd think. Distancing is completely different to actual fighting, and there's lots of tricks to making stuff look really good (although some of it is completely contrary to what you'd learn in a real fight). Lots of idiosynchracies in the movements help to show if you're playing the part of a good fighter, a clumsy fighter etc

I had a great time learning how to throw punches that look really convincing (lets face it a boxer's jab doesn't look great on screen or stage). And then spent some time learning rapier for stage (again completely different to what you'd learn in a fencing school)

I'd encourage you all to try it out. I've never taken martial arts as seriously as I should, but for some of the people here who have made a career of sorts from it, its definitely worthwhile and can lead to some interesting roles like fight co-ordinating, stunt work etc...

This would totally throw off my fight game.

Comment

I remember I went to an acting camp and we got a workshop on stage fighting. It wasn't much, but it was fun.

Comment

Mind sharing a few specifics then? Your post was kinda vague.
        Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
        I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
        what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Originally posted by lifetime
          Mind sharing a few specifics then? Your post was kinda vague.
          If that's for me, sure. We learned how to fake grabbing and dragging a person by the hair and ear, which is pretty easy. Just make a fist, and put it against the hair or ear. We also learned about punching someone. Depending on the punch the attacker or the target makes a sound by hitting his/her hands to simulate fist hitting flesh. It depends a lot on position. The person making the sound has to obviously not show what he/she is doing. We also did some kicks. One was just like a TKD Inside Kick :-). The key is to not actually kick very close to the person, but to make it quickand be in a position so it doesn't seem obvious that you're missing by a good couple inches.

The most important thing I learned was that "selling" the fight makes or breaks it. If you get hit, make it look painful.

It was rudimentary stuff, but it was intersting to learn.

Comment

Actually it was more in reference to xodus2's original post, but yours was very helpful. I'd actually like to know more about what xodus meant about distancing in a fight and the nuances between fighting styles.
            Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
            I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
            what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

sorry for slow reply - for some reason the server wouldn;t let me post a reply. Kept saying I was signed out or something.

Keep in mind that I've only had one lesson and I'm sure its barely the tip of the iceberg what I've learnt so far.

with a round technique like a roundhouse kick or thai kick, you would actually aim a foot to the side of the head... that way you can fully extend the technique even if its blocked... but it looks good because the leg is straight rather than bent at the point of being blocked. This also applies to round slashes with weapons.

In fact having very straight extensions is a way of making a fighter look good. If you were to play a fighter that is suppose to look clumsy you would keep your techniques bent or crooked with sword work.

Distancing is of course more about allowing you to fully extend your techniques so they look good rather than being able to strike your opponent with power. When you use weapons there's a safety element in distance as well... you measure distance so you can clash with swords but even a full thrust will not reach your opponent.

But anyway, I hope I've reported that accurately... I'm sure there's much more to it... like I said I've only had one class.

Comment

Hey xodus, thanks for sharing this information.
                I'm interested in film work, and this stuff is useful for me.
                If you go to another class like this, please put up more moves and whateva :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X