Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marcus Soares BJJ

Hey folks,

I am thinking about joining the fore mentioned BJJ class and I plan on calling to find out the specifics from the man himself but before I do so, I have a couple questions.

1. How exactly do I pronounce his name. This guy is a top BJJ instructor and I dont want to show him anything less than the upmost respect, Ill start this by pronouncing his name correctly lol.

2. What goes on in your typical BJJ class?

3. Anything else I should know before signing up?

Currently Im taking a Japanese style of Jiu Jitsu, but the minimal amount of real sparring we do has left me wanting more. I really enjoy the class I currently take regardless and am somewhat aprehensive about switching over. So I figured I would get the low down before I wasted anyones time.

Thanks

The standard BJJ class seems to be:

Warm ups: Running, push ups, breakfalls, shrimping, etc.
    Techniques: Instruction and drilling of techniques with a partner.
    Drilling: Passing the guard drills or some other full resistance "sparring" but with a limited and specific purpose (i.e. pass the guard against a resisting partner).
    Sparring: Sparring! Usually several rounds of varying lengths against different partners.

If you are not up on conditioning and sparring, expect to gas out a lot a first. Just stick with it and go as much as your body will allow. Don't worry about looking stupid. Don't worry about feeling awkward. Don't worry about tapping. It's all for your benefit.

Enjoy, and let me know how it goes.

Comment

1. A safe bet is to address him as "Professor Soares". That's pronounced "Soh-rez".

2. It really depends on space and the instructor. Usually you will warm up and drill a few moves at the beginning of class, then start sparring from standing or kneeling depending on space. Most days at my club we just start rolling right away and technical instruction is left for the 3hr weekend class where we drill for most of that time. Recently we have switched to drilling then rolling on weekdays and competition on weekends.

3. You are going to lose. A lot. Focus on maintaining good position and avoiding submissions, and ask questions after each sparring match if there was something you were doing that was really wrong and if there is a better way to do it. But remember, everyone there is good because of time they put in, not secret techniques.
      Originally posted by The Wastrel
      I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I've actually studied a bit with him. He answers to Marcus, but if you feel the need, Professore Soares works just as well.

Are you going to the Vancouver school or Langley? Just an fyi, the Vancity class is hardcore, with the majority of his senior guys there.

Langley is still junior, last I was there. Good guys, and really great technique. I opted to go with CFG out of Coquitlam.
        Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
        "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Also to add, just like any BJJ school with a good instructor, your fellow students will help you. Don't be afraid to ask.

It's a brotherhood you are joining.
          "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

BJJ requires patience like no other martial art I've ever tried. Your first month you will be bewildered, confused and bombarded with new information. You will also be dominated and tapped all the time, even by guys who have only been training BJJ for a short time, but everyone at your school has been through it, and will probably be happy to explain the basics to you.

I've also noticed that some newcomers find BJJ a little humiliating, especially big, athletic guys who don't like to lose to a skinny guy half their size. Just think about all the things these guys can teach you and you'll do great.
            I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
            -Phil Elmore

Comment

About the name: every brazillian black belt I've ever met has been really nice. I don't he'll mind if you pronounce his name incorrectly. In my experience, the whole "master" thing doesn't really exist in BJJ. You're just a bunch of guys training together. It's just that some of them happens to know a lot more than you. At least, that's what it has felt like at all the schools I've visited.
              I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
              -Phil Elmore

Comment

Roger Gracie (pronounced "Hoger") has said guys can just call him "Roger" since he's in an English speaking country now, so I don't think they really care.

Comment

Marcus is an awesome instructor. My BJJ instructor is a purple under him. We just pronounce his name as soh-rez, (sore-ez). I've never heard tony call him professor, so i dont think that's a big deal.

In marcus' class, attendance counts for a lot. Be sure to show up for as many classes as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony
                    I've actually studied a bit with him. He answers to Marcus, but if you feel the need, Professore Soares works just as well.

Are you going to the Vancouver school or Langley? Just an fyi, the Vancity class is hardcore, with the majority of his senior guys there.

Langley is still junior, last I was there. Good guys, and really great technique. I opted to go with CFG out of Coquitlam.
                    I am not exactly sure at the moment, Langley is a lot closer to me as I am out in Abbotsford, but the Langley classes are Tues and Thurs and thats when I have Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I was thinking coming and checking it out in Vancouver one Sunday. I guess the deciding factor will be whether or not I decide to quit JJJ.

CFG out of coquitlam? This is another class/instructor? Im interested in the details.

Originally posted by Aesopian
                    If you are not up on conditioning and sparring, expect to gas out a lot a first. Just stick with it and go as much as your body will allow. Don't worry about looking stupid. Don't worry about feeling awkward. Don't worry about tapping. It's all for your benefit.
                    Well I like to think my conditioning is decent from taking JJJ. We do a pretty cardo heavy warm up which includes: skipping, shadow boxing, pad work and takedown practice. But I guess I will see exactly how tiring grappling is, I hear its quite taxing.

Originally posted by PoleFighter
                    BJJ requires patience like no other martial art I've ever tried. Your first month you will be bewildered, confused and bombarded with new information. You will also be dominated and tapped all the time, even by guys who have only been training BJJ for a short time, but everyone at your school has been through it, and will probably be happy to explain the basics to you.
                    Im not to worried about it, I am pretty patient and humble. I know I suck, Ill be there to learn and not to stroke my ego. But thanks for the heads up.

Comment

The warmup is HARD. I was trashed about 5 minutes in, and by the end of class, the room looked like it had its own weather system, there was so much sweat in the air.

In otherwords, it was GREAT.

Shum's got the right pronunciation, and Marcus dosen't speak great English. Just so you know. But he's got some AWESOME blues.
                      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Funny, I didn't think Marcus had any problems with speaking english.

Snapp, I actually am from Abby, well used to be. My girl travels back and forth from our condo there to florida. She tells me the weather has been outstanding lately.

Coquitlam is a drive for training, I took it because my business was in New West, and was less than 10 clicks away. JKDChick and Ellipson are pretty dead on about what you can expect. The warm up is brutal. Very brutal. I was dying 20 minutes into it, and I was told it was the lite version.

Go in with an open mind and have fun. You'll notice simmiliarties between JJJ and BJJ, and then you'll find out what training alive is all about. :)

Comment

Sorry. CFG out of Coquitlam. http://www.creativefightersguild.com/newindex.htm

Trevor and Gary are some of the finest instructors I have learned from. They are a Megaton Diaz school.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony
                            Funny, I didn't think Marcus had any problems with speaking english.. :)
                            His comprehension is sometimes out, you can see him nodding and smiling because he can't figure out what you're saying. He knows how to explain stuff in English, though. He can teach.
                            Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Well I still haven't had an uber warm-up at my BJJ class yet. However, we practice and practice the techniques, first easy, then with increasing resistance.

And then the wrestling. Oh lawd, lawd. Unless you have the tranquility of a zen master, or you're young and fit, well that's your workout right there. I'm going to have to supplement with some fast cardio that's not just swimming or riding my bike, I think. My bouts are short, but others are long. My instructor is very big in learning to relax and catch your breath when the opportunity presents itself during the grapple.

It's all too much fun, although I think I pulled something in my hip tonight. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I start standing.

The effectiveness of the style is self-apparent from the first lesson, if you get to fight with anyone halfway decent (compared to you, that is). I have tried other MAs where that wasn't always apparent after more than a month in.

Comment

Working...
                              X