Shotokan? Hung gar? Choy li fut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotokan? Hung gar? Choy li fut?

I have access to SKA Shotokan, Choy li fut and Hung gar.

I visited all three schools.

This is what I saw during my visits:

[SKA Shotokan]: basic warm up, punches, kicks, techinques, kata. Didn't see any sparring. The teacher told me that sometimes they do non-contact sparring, but that sparring isn't the main focus of their style.

[Choy li fut]: warm up, punches, kicks, some drills, form practice. The punching and kicking are more circular and wider than Shotokan. Looks more powerful than Shotokan too. Didn't see any sparring either. I was also told that sometimes they spar, light or semi contact, but not full contact.

[Hung gar]: warm up, body conditionning, lots of horse stance, some hand techniques, a few low kicks, some drills, form practice. Didn't see any sparring. I was told that sometimes they spar, light or semi contact, but not full contact.

I am interested in learning self-defense (within a reasonable amount of time - say 6 months).

I got the impression that regular sparring wasn't part of the curriclum at these schools, but I'd like to try one of them, since these are the only styles available to me (I don't have access to MT or BJJ as of now). Some training is better than none!

I was wondering if anyone here with experience in some of these styles can give me suggestions. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dojoboy; 3/09/2005 12:26pm, .

Where do you live?

Comment

Non-contact sparring is not sparring at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dojoboy
        I am interested in learning self-defense (within a reasonable amount of time - say 6 months).
        Find the nearest BJJ school.
        Originally posted by The Wastrel
        I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

These are the ONLY schools near you? Or are these the only ones you considered? Because quite frankly they all seem to suck. "Light or Semi-contact" is (I assume from your words) akin to point-sparring without points. By definition it is pointless. :wink: Now, we're not saying that you should be killing each other full-contact, no gear every class either. 75% power strikes with gear is pretty safe AND it still teaches you not to drop your hands, keep your attacks out too long, etc.

What about boxing gyms? Again, where do you live? Consider a longer commute, if possible.
          Last edited by bodar; 3/09/2005 1:23pm, .

Comment

If you just want to learn self-defense in merely 6 months I would try to look for a BJJ, kickboxing, or Muay Thai school that can give you this more quickly. But since you emphasized that these are the only schools that you have access to, I think that Hung gar school sounds the best. Horse stances and a lot of conditioning will get you in great shape and Hung gar has endless techniques that you can learn. Hung gar is a Southern system of kung fu concentrating on more powerful strikes and kicks, and lower stances.

Edit: I'm sure someone who knows about Choy li fut could tell you about that too...
            Last edited by celticdragon03; 3/09/2005 1:07pm, .

Comment

If you want to learn self defense fast, you don't need endless techniques. You need solid basics and a ton of drilling and sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian
                If you want to learn self defense fast, you don't need endless techniques. You need solid basics and a ton of drilling and sparring.
                EXACTLY... after 6 months training, I'd rather have 5 techniques that I know like the back of my hand, than 500 that I know kinda well and may vaguely remember in a fight.

Comment

I can't take MT or BJJ because of the schedule and location, that's what I meant when I said that I don't have access to those styles. Plus, they are also more expensive too. If I could, I would take bjj, but it's just not an option right now.

Currently, I am leaning more towards CLF and Hung Gar.

I did some research and saw that some websites actually claim CLF to be one of the most powerful Kung Fu style around (I assume it's in terms of striking power).

Some Hung Gar sites also claim Hung Gar to be a powerful style (but not one of the most powerful)...

So to people who have experience with both styles, is there any validity to those claims about their striking power?

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian

Aeso, you've been training BJJ for about six months, right?

Has it given you what you need for self defense?

My style takes longer, which is why I'm asking.
                    Originally posted by pauli
                    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
                    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

I can't take MT or BJJ because of the schedule and location, that's what I meant when I said that I don't have access to those styles. Plus, they are also more expensive too. If I could, I would take bjj, but it's just not an option right now.

I did some research and saw that some websites actually claim CLF to be one of the most powerful Kung Fu style around (I assume it's in terms of striking power).

Some Hung Gar sites also claim Hung Gar to be a powerful style (but not one of the most powerful)...

So to people who have experience with both styles, is there any validity to those claims about their striking power?
                      WHERE DO YOU LIVE ?

Comment

Originally posted by Feryk
                        Aeso, you've been training BJJ for about six months, right?

Has it given you what you need for self defense?

My style takes longer, which is why I'm asking.
                        Sparring daily and competing has made me more realistically confident of my ability to defend myself than months of horse stance punches and enigmatic non-contact sparring would have.
                        Last edited by Aesopian; 3/09/2005 2:16pm, .

Comment

I'm a Hung Gar person.
                          My experiences in it vary dependant on who's teaching it, and how the students are training. I've known people within this system who are nothing more than forms practicing paper tigers, and others who are badass fighters.

Look at the training methodology. If its forms forms and more forms, a little drilling, and occaisional sparring...walk away. If the focus is on solid basics, conditioning, and a program of progressive contact and sparring, in other words a program for developing hands on skill, then yes, it can be avery powerful system.

Mike

Comment

To Ronin69: CANADA.

Comment

Canada is a tad on the BIG side, where ?
                              If we know were you live, we can guide you better.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X