Missing the point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KenpoDude
    and again... they aren't real results, just popular ones.
    Oh fuck off. You're telling me that on the internet, the medium for fringe popularity and accesibility, that there is not a single good wing chun or ninjitsu video out there? You're out of your mind.

They are only "popular" in the sense that they are the overwhelming majority.
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

There can be no video proof of ninja supremacy since real ninjas cannot be detected in the first place.
      Last edited by Moleculo; 3/06/2005 10:11pm, .

Comment

Shuma,

I never said there wasn't wing chun videos... where in hell did that come from?

and 'overwhelming majority' = popular; it's actually definition number 6 in websters.

I get the sense that you're trying to argue, by use of the expletive, but then your 'points' make no sense.

Perhaps i'll buy and watch all 50(?) UFC fight DVD's and become enlightened in the philosophy of style supremecy.

kd

Comment

The only fact as i see it is that training don't make the man, the man makes the training.
          Totally not true. Of course you have to put in the work yourself, no one can take that responsibility from you, and if you don't, you're going to suck.

BUT. If you subscrive to a bullshit style or a McDojo, they will actively keep you from training correctly.

You will not find people willing to put your and their skills to the test. You will not have the resources (gloves, focus mitts, mats, etc.) at your disposal for training what you need to train. You will be told by your instructor that free sparring is too dangerous and that you're not ready for it and that if you have the real kung fu you don't need to spar anyway because things will just come to you when you need them. When you find that a move you were taught doesn't work, and figure out a way to make it work, you will be told that this is no longer true to the style X, and if you try that crap at a belt test you will get points deducted.

And of course there's the obvious problem that if your trainers don't know how to do things right, they can't teach you to do them right.

Bottom line is, go to a good school that teaches no-nonsense MA, it's worth it.
          There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

that's for a school, not a style.

kd

Comment

What about when that is the usual school for an entire style?
              Last edited by Aesopian; 3/07/2005 9:57am, . Reason: Oops.

Comment

that's for a school, not a style.
                The style influences the mindset of the practitioners, and the mindset and training define the style. Example: Yoshinkan Aikido sets itself apart from other Aikido substyles by rigorous emphasis on basic movements. Training basic movements and basic techniques textbook-form to the count of ichi, ni, san until you want to puke is what DEFINES them. Once you see that focusing on this kind of training is not only a waste of time, but actually hurts you, and you stop doing it, you're no longer doing Yoshinkan.

Comment

Richie, Aesopian:

It's making sense, in the case of Yoshinkan Aikido (which i'd not heard of, but that's not saying much) i could see the style limiting the abilities of the fighter.

I guess i'll rephrase to :

a well-rounded style shouldn't be rated any higher than any other well-rounded style.

If i knew how to do the +rep thing, it'd be done... thanks for the time in reshaping a dirty n00b.

kd

Comment

The "check/x" box below the poster's information.
                    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

It's making sense, in the case of Yoshinkan Aikido (which i'd not heard of, but that's not saying much) i could see the style limiting the abilities of the fighter.
                      It was just one example I'm familiar with. I'm sure the same thing applies to any number of styles. If you ever get the nagging feeling that your training environment is holding you back, it probably is.

Comment

thx Boyd.

kd

Comment

Originally posted by Shuma-Gorath
                          Oh fuck off. You're telling me that on the internet, the medium for fringe popularity and accesibility, that there is not a single good wing chun or ninjitsu video out there? You're out of your mind.

They are only "popular" in the sense that they are the overwhelming majority.
                          :sleepy2:
                          Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Freddy, what martial art do you train in?

Comment

Wow, I'm back. Sorta.

This is the internet. This is also a broad-ass world where even somebody with only a little training (like me) can put an experienced wrestler in a good choke on PURE LUCK ALONE. Well, that and I think he might not have been going at it as hard as he could have.

To me, it ain't the style or the school or the practitioner himself--it's the situation. Even the most badass BJJ or Muay Thai practitioner will lose against my amazing Volvo technique--unless the MT guy shin-kicks my tire off. Or if I decide to turn and run like a little sissy girl.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X