New here, thought I would say hey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, thought I would say hey...

Hey guys, new to the forum, I train primarily in wing chun and muay thai, with experience in shiua jiao and chin na, as well as a bit of BJJ (but very little) just to round myself out a bit. My fighting "style" has developed into something of it's own thing, and I take an open mind to training. What I look for, regardless of the source, is efficient and effective techniques and realistic training methods.

I'm not a big fan of the BS martial arts gimmicks, mcdojo's, Ashida, Shaolin Do, or anything/one of the like, on the same token I'm not a big fan of egotistical mma fighters who feel they know it all. Everyone has room to grow, and an open mind is the key.

Heard about this forum, thought I would give it a go...I'm not really sure where to start, this forum is a bit overwhelming from the ones I usually frequent...so if anyone would like to give me the rundown on things...that would be great.

Welcome
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

Comment

get ready to be flamed for doing wing chun.

edit - oh yeah, welcome from a fellow newb.
      I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Comment

Can Wing/Ving Chun/Tsung/Cheung and Muay Thai really coexist? Aren't they two opposed concepts? Wouldn't they contradict each other?

Comment

How do you train a little BJJ?

Comment

Man...not really, they actually flow together quite nicely. When you practice "martial arts", you should do so knowing the styles are there for us to master, not to be slave to. WT and MT address fighting from different ranges, using different techniques, and different delivery methods, all that is true, but they are both very direct and work very well in their respective arenas...but the key is to use it where it works, and not where it doesn't. As long as you're not a slave to dogma, you're fine. It's all about how you train, your personal atttributes, and your understanding of martial arts and fighting in general.

People are people, punches are punches, kicks are kicks. The rest is all in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian
              How do you train a little BJJ?
              It means that I only studied it for a short timeframe, it's not my core fighting style, and my knowledge of it is very limited (although I've retained the skills I've learned thus far). I do plan on continuing my education in it or something of the like as soon as I find someone here that I'm comfortable working with.

Comment

Originally posted by Vankuen
                Man...not really, they actually flow together quite nicely. When you practice "martial arts", you should do so knowing the styles are there for us to master, not to be slave to. WT and MT address fighting from different ranges, using different techniques, and different delivery methods, all that is true, but they are both very direct and work very well in their respective arenas...but the key is to use it where it works, and not where it doesn't. As long as you're not a slave to dogma, you're fine. It's all about how you train, your personal atttributes, and your understanding of martial arts and fighting in general.

People are people, punches are punches, kicks are kicks. The rest is all in your head.
                I was actually thinking about how Wing/Ving Chung/Tsung/Cheung is considered a pansy art while Muay Thai is considered a manly art. It's not a matter of rounding out your style with different arts, it's a matter of how terrible Wing/Ving Chun/Tsung/Cheung is.

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
                  I was actually thinking about how Wing/Ving Chung/Tsung/Cheung is considered a pansy art while Muay Thai is considered a manly art. It's not a matter of rounding out your style with different arts, it's a matter of how terrible Wing/Ving Chun/Tsung/Cheung is.

And I suppose now you're going to tell me how someone who plays with his wooden stick all day is more manly then who? Sounds a little like you're wanting to come out of the closet.

BTW..."chun and tsun" have no "g" at the end, and "Cheung" is one of the current "master's" names. If you're going to bad mouth an art, at least know something about it. There are plenty of wc'ers who play patty cake all day, actually I'd say about 80 percent of them do that...but not all of them. Remember the key ingredients: Individual attributes, intelligence, and training methods make the man...if you're still at the "technique" level in trying to find the "way"...then you're still a novice.
                  Last edited by Vankuen; 2/21/2005 11:29pm, .

Comment

And I suppose now you're going to tell me how someone who plays with his wooden stick all day is more manly then who? Sounds a little like you're wanting to come out of the closet.

BTW..."chun and tsun" have no "g" at the end, and "Cheung" is one of the current "master's" names. If you're going to bad mouth an art, at least know something about it. There are plenty of wc'ers who play patty cake all day, actually I'd say about 80 percent of them do that...but not all of them. Remember the key ingredients: Individual attributes, intelligence, and training methods make the man...if you're still at the "technique" level in trying to find the "way"...then you're still a novice.
                    Only kung fu pansies say that.

While the points you make seem correct, it comes across as marketing and /or an Anthony Robbins seminar.
                    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
                    Scramble Stuff

Comment

Exactly how much bjj have you done?

Comment

And I suppose now you're going to tell me how someone who plays with his wooden stick all day is more manly then who?
                        Yes.

Sounds a little like you're wanting to come out of the closet.
                        Gay jokes are very funny and make strong points.

BTW..."chun and tsun" have no "g" at the end, and "Cheung" is one of the current "master's" names. If you're going to bad mouth an art, at least know something about it.
                        The entire point is to be a pun on all the multiple spellings out there.

There are plenty of wc'ers who play patty cake all day, actually I'd say about 80 percent of them do that...but not all of them. Remember the key ingredients: Individual attributes, intelligence, and training methods make the man...if you're still at the "technique" level in trying to find the "way"...then you're still a novice.
                        The problem with this argument is that it doesn't demonstrate that you are a manly WCer and not a pansy one.

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
                          Yes.

Gay jokes are very funny and make strong points.

The entire point is to be a pun on all the multiple spellings out there.

The problem with this argument is that it doesn't demonstrate that you are a manly WCer and not a pansy one.
                          Hey guy, remember you're the one who started the issue of being manly or not...
                          and as far as making fun of the spellings...yea, I know what you were doing....occasionally I do the same thing...but as you may know it's their BS politics, I don't get involved in them.

People usually do laugh at gay jokes...but in your case it's probably not a joke.

And there's no "argument" here at all....I could care less whether or not you feel I'm a pansy or not, I train the way I train, I know the effectiveness of what I do, and I crosstrain and spar full contact consistantly. Like I said, before...if you're on the technique level, then you should keep training until you get past all the style issues. Every martial art, builds attributes applicable to something....and that's the key...to use the attributes that are built to increase your fighting ability in that range, you shouldn't be hung up on the style issues...no one should. Although this entire website seems to be that way. ON A TECHNIQUE LEVEL...many things don't work, but that's where one as an individual must decide what to use and what not to use (where/when etc....). Martial arts are a preperation for something that may or may not happen, under variables one will never know until the time comes. You don't know what skills you're going to need...and so it's best to train as many of them as possible.

As far as my BJJ background....it's only about 6 months or so. Total grappling background is also supplemented by the shiua jiao (although that mostly throwing) and chin na (mostly stand up joint locks)

Comment

Welcome
                            "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Comment

Hey guy, remember you're the one who started the issue of being manly or not...
                              I'm willing to bet that I'm more manly than you. I'm 5'3'', I have long hair, and people mistake me for a girl all the time (sometimes an attractive one), but at least I don't do Wing/Ving Chung/Tsung/Cheung/Chun/Tsun/Cunt

and as far as making fun of the spellings...yea, I know what you were doing....occasionally I do the same thing...but as you may know it's their BS politics, I don't get involved in them.
                              That's commendable, at least.

People usually do laugh at gay jokes...but in your case it's probably not a joke.
                              That's not.

And there's no "argument" here at all
                              I have an opinion, except it's really a fact like everything I believe in. You disagree. We're discussing it. That is an argument.

I could care less whether or not you feel I'm a pansy or not,
                              But you're defending yourself!

Like I said, before...if you're on the technique level, then you should keep training until you get past all the style issues. Every martial art, builds attributes applicable to something....and that's the key...to use the attributes that are built to increase your fighting ability in that range, you shouldn't be hung up on the style issues...no one should. Although this entire website seems to be that way. ON A TECHNIQUE LEVEL...many things don't work, but that's where one as an individual must decide what to use and what not to use (where/when etc....). Martial arts are a preperation for something that may or may not happen, under variables one will never know until the time comes. You don't know what skills you're going to need...and so it's best to train as many of them as possible.
                              Blah blah blah. You're forgetting that some arts simply suck, and until I see a WCer use their art effectively, I'm going to continue to stereotype all WCers because so far it works.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X