Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humans can take on the big cats, but how big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humans can take on the big cats, but how big?

One of my favorite unsubstantiated stories of man vs. animal has always been the one between the Colorado hiker and the mountain lion. Guy hikes with his friends in the mountains, gets a considerable lead on them, reaches the summit. His friends can see him and the mountain lion that pops up behind him and warn him and rush to his aid. In the time it took them the man turned and locked eyes with the lion, it leapt, he side stepped, and it fell dead with a buck knife rammed into the side of its head.

I really wish I had an article for this one, and yeah it's probably grown in the telling, but mountain lions are usually less than two hundered pounds; I'm inclined to believe that a human being can beat a mountain lion either bare handed or with minimal weaponry.

Here's the question though; just how big of a cat can a human take on with just a knife, if that?

I really wish I knew the average weights of the big cats, but then, well that's what the internet's for!

I'm saying that we can at least take mountain lions- also commonly referred to as panthers, cougars, or pumas (the website I linked to lists them as cougar in the index and puma on the info page)-, but what about cheetahs (I'm assuming the human in question is not dumb enough to run), leopards, lions, and tigers?

Post your analysis of this ridiculous question!
    Liger, definatly a liger; humans are unfuckingstoppable, end of discussion- NINJAS!
    17.27%
    Siberian tiger (as heavy as 324 kilos). Yes... I am serious.
    1.82%
    African lions (as heavy as 225 kilos)..... if you got REALLY lucky.
    1.82%
    Leopards averaging in at 90 kilos. Tough fight, but it can be done!
    9.09%
    Cougars, about 85 kilos at the heaviest. This, this I can kill!
    17.27%
    Cheetahs average a puny 45-65 kilos... fast though...
    3.64%
    Snow Leopards average about 50 kilos, that's killable!
    10.00%
    Bobcats are pushing it at a fearsome 15 kilos! STUPID HUMANS!
    20.91%
    Man, I have enough trouble with house cats.
    18.18%
    Last edited by Stick; 2/15/2005 2:22pm, .

Oh, you mean with a knife... that changes things.... it would also depend on who was hunting whom.

With a big knife, in a confined space, with me getting the first attack I think I could kill a leopard
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

Comment

No machettes here, we're talking a folder or boot knife, probably not gonna be bigger than 8", and then any stick you might happen to pick up or have on hand.

Comment

The knife would only help if it came with a shitload of luck. I'm talking "win the lotto" levels of luck.

Comment

Okay, a mountain lion might weigh a bit less than you, but it's entire body is all about hunting and killing things. Humans can do a bit of everything, but not very well. You can't match a pure predator for ferocity or efficiency, but the knife gives you a chance against anything if you can get lucky.

Still, I voted Snow Leopards, 'cos at 50kg I don't think it'd be that overwhelming. You'd still be pretty fucked up afterward though.
          Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
          Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

Here's another apocryphal story that you can regard or disregard as you please. It was told to me by a BJJ instructor who's friend was attacked by a bobcat. Apparently, he put the big cat in his guard and grabbed its forelegs. He held on for dear life until the creature finally got tired/frustrated and left. When asked about how he knew to do that, he replied that he had discovered that the technique works through wrestling with his dog at home.
            Last edited by Bang!; 2/15/2005 5:57pm, .

Comment

I'm allergic to the little rat fuckers. I don't have a chance.
              Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
                Here's another apocryphal story that you can regard or disregard as you please. It was told to me by a BJJ instructor who's friend was attacked by a bobcat. Apparently, he put the big cat in his guard and held onto its forelegs. He held on for dear life until the creature finally got tired/frustrated and left. When asked about how he knew to do that, he replied that he had discovered that the technique works through wrestling with his dog at home.
                Given that cats have rear claws and tend to kick with those I think your instructor's friend would have been ripped to shreds in about 30 seconds.
                Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Comment

Having seen what a cornered Bobcat can do, I'd bet on me with a stick or a knife.

But barely.

A cougar? Give me a break. That cat will rip your arm off and take it home to the cubs. Have you ever seen how fast it can move?

To a lion or tiger, you'd be food. Period.
                  Originally posted by pauli
                  i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
                  I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden
                    Given that cats have rear claws and tend to kick with those I think your instructor's friend would have been ripped to shreds in about 30 seconds.
                    DITTO!

Comment

I voted snow leopard. Fifty kilos is about 110 lbs. There are people who have taken dogs of that size without using a weapon. I figure that a cat of that size could be taken down with a weapon. I wouldn't want to try, though.

Comment

The cats being small doesnt take away the fact that it's stronger than you, faster than you, tougher than you, has 16 blades distributed among its 4 paws, and is a natural born killer. If it were a fight to the death, i'd put my money on the cat every time until the bobcat. Even then it's iffy.

Comment

ninjas can take on pussies of all sizes ...
                          totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Comment

Go try giving a housecat a bath and then come back and tell me you could take on even that...i still have scars.

Comment

I heard a story on fox 8 (and we all know how relyable that is!), that a man had been attacked by a mountain lion, and the cat opened its mouth, he stuck his fist down and choked it. His arm got fucked up pretty bad but he survived. Im still not sure how the claws didnt get him.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X