Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"half mount" annoy anyone else?

Just a quick question out there for other BJJ/grappling practicioners-

Often you'll hear inexperienced/uneducated grapplers refer to the half guard as the "half mounted" position- does this ignorance piss anyone else off?

I hear this most often when Yoshida nuthuggers refer to how he was "beating" Royce in their grappling only match. "Yoshida got half mount on Royce." I think this is a very deceptive description of the half guard position if you'll let me rant for a minute about positional heirarchy.

The mount being the second most desirable position to have in a fight (second to back mount) allows you to attack your opponent at will as he has no submissions or sweeps available to him- ALL he can do is escape. It is also an effective pinning position.

After mount, cross side would be the next most desirable position- Very few submissions are available and no sweeps. You can pin your opponent well from this position and attack with strikes, but often not with the same verocity as from the mounted position. Some people prefer cross side to mount, simply because more submissions are available, but it still stands that in either position, the guy on the bottom is in a bad situation.

Now, the "half mount" bullshit I hear from people is absolutely ridiculous. It almost sounds as if they were suggesting that this position is almost as good as the mount when it can be in fact a very neutral position. Just as many submissions are available from here for the guy on the bottom as the one on top, not to mention its a great position to sweep from. There are many people in competition who actually use this position very aggressively and better than their full guards. Now the top man has a very favorable option of striking, but I think cross side offers better striking options (knees to the head) as well as submissions while offering none to the man on bottom. In the bottom of half guard though, the man on bottom has a very practical option of escaping back to full guard should his opponent attack him with punches (since he would no longer be held).

Rant over.

ultimately this is an argument over semantics.

But realistically is the cup half full or half empty? is it a half mount or a half guard?
    It depends more on your demeanor than your art....

Comment

Originally posted by gojuJKDdude
      ultimately this is an argument over semantics.

But realistically is the cup half full or half empty? is it a half mount or a half guard?
      It depends more on your demeanor than your art....
      He's right. Realistically it means nothing. You can generally tell who the commentator is favouring to win depending on whether they say half-guard or half-mount. It implies whom they're favouring to have more control over the situation.
      Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
      I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
      what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

In a mma, calling it a 1/2 mount makes sense. It is much better to be on top in that...in grappling I think more 1/2 guard.
        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Chris Hauter (BJJ black belt) said that the two terms are interchangable.
          Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

I've heard people that would kick your ass call it that.

This is bjj where there are 1 billion names for everything.

Comment

Also, it really depends on the exact situation and skills of both people involved, obviously. As far as I remember the Yoshida-Royce fight, Royce just barely had one hook in and wasn't in a position to do much of anything. What I'm saying is that if you estanbish your top position from within half-guard, flatten the guy out and crossface him, and pull your knee trough, he's in a miserable position, and half-mount is an appropriate term. If the guy on the bottom is on his side, with enough space to move and good control over your leg, he may be in the better position, and half-guard is more appropriate.
              There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

It's quite wrong to comment on the heirarchy of positions when you're talking about elite fighters. Just because the mount is better than the knee for me - doesn't make it true for uber-grapplers like Royce and Yoshida. Who knows what kind of shit they have tucked away in their arsenals?

Second, since BJJ has no standardisation, there is no ultimate authority on what gets called what. Some coaches use Portuguese, some English, some Japanese - plus I'm sure there are other languages too. Also - seeing as Royce/Yoshida was essentially a BJJ/Judo match - there's no reason for any onlooker to use strictly BJJ terminology.

Comment

I guess it depends on your perspective.

When I am on bottom I am using my half-guard. When I am on top, I could be halfway to mounting you.

I think it depends on the momentum of the movement. If you are on bottom moving to get a sweep you are dominant. If you are on top slicing through someone's guard than you can call it anything you want!

Comment

If the guy on top wins, its the "half mount".
                    If the guy on the bottom wins, its the "half guard".
                    If someone from the audience throws a chair at them, they should be more agressive and fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dochter
                      I've heard people that would kick your ass call it that.

This is bjj where there are 1 billion names for everything.
                      Kick my ass for calling it half guard? Care to elaborate?

Comment

He meant that there are people who could kick your ass who refer to "half guard" as "half mount." This refutes your statement that everyone who says "half mount" is inexperienced.
                        sudo make me a sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by Beneath
                          Who knows what kind of shit they have tucked away in their arse
                          hahhaahahaha

PL

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X