Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance

Here's a few of the ways I train to get good balance.

1. Do one-legged siu nim taos.
    2. Do siu nim taos on balance pads. These are rubber air-filled pie type things that you stand on. Because they are filled with air but pliable(kind of like a swiss ball) its hard to stabilize yourself on them.
    3. Play forms on a balance beam. Chum kiu is fucking hard to do on one of these things.
    4. Stance training exercises.
    5. Do exercises that strengthen the lower body in general.

Some higher levels of these exercises: one-legged siu nim taos on a balance pad. One-legged siu nim taos with your eyes closed. One legged siu nim taos with your eyes closed on a balance pad. Etc.

Please, add to this list. My balance is one of my weakest attributes, imo. I've got skinny legs and pretty weak ankles, so I know I need to work on this stuff.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

I bought an Extreme Balance Board a while back. Kinda pricey, but worth it to me. Was using it almost every day until I hurt my foot and it definitely helped my balance. Slow taiji is also great for balance.

Comment

Every once in a while, one of these threads comes up.
      Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

i find a pretty good method is to try and hit someone (hard) while they are trying to hit you (hard). really helps you develop fight balance as opposed to "i can stand on one leg with an umbrealla on my nose" balance.

HOLY FUCK THIS NEW METHOD... ILL CALL IT LIVE TRAINING! MILLIONS I WILL MAKE!

Comment

have your partner hit you back after every combo on the mits ... and avoid the hit with body movement and footwork ...

balance while fighting is entirely different from static balance ...
          totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Comment

Practise walking on wires and DO JUDO!
            Judoka have excellent sense of balance

Comment

Using you current balancing exercises,
              spar with someone that is on the ground throwing techniques at you. . .or, play chisao .
              As for chisao, that can be a balance exercise if use with a fighting mentality, and intent.

`~/
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
                i find a pretty good method is to try and hit someone (hard) while they are trying to hit you (hard). really helps you develop fight balance as opposed to "i can stand on one leg with an umbrealla on my nose" balance.

HOLY FUCK THIS NEW METHOD... ILL CALL IT LIVE TRAINING! MILLIONS I WILL MAKE!
                I sense the venting of verbal frustration caused by too much time on MAP.
                Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarber
                  I sense the venting of verbal frustration caused by too much time on MAP.
                  I'll put my two cents in for rock climbing; not only does it build core and grip strength, but if your balance sucks, you won't be able to climb for shit. Also, many climbing gyms have slacklines, which are like thick, sproingy tightropes, and those things are fucking HARD to walk across, but they do build balance.

On the flip side, if you're worried about balance for combat, forget all of that, and just fight. One of my buddies, who happens to study TKD, is a fucking awesome climber, and can do all kinds of cool, crazy shit on the slackline, but I can still beat his ass.

Comment

What's a siu nim tao, a bodyweight squat basically?
                    SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X