Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Punching Power

This is how I train to get stronger punches:

1. Throw lots of punches in the air. 500, 1000, or 2000 at a time.
    2. Throw lots of dim jeangs(palm strikes) in the air.
    3. Throw lots of both on wall bags.
    4. While a partner is holding a pad, throw punches at the pad and push him across the room. Repeat.
    5. Throw short punches. Like, when playing chain punches I don't retract them as far back as I'd normally do, but instead only take them back about 2 fist lengths before extending them again.
    6. Can't think of anything else right now.

I've been thinking about this lately because I feel like my punches aren't as strong as they could be. So, help me out! :)
    Does anyone have any really good methods for training punching power that they'd like to share?
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Pushing doesn't help your power, it's in the impact.

Exercising parts of your body doesn't help your power nearly as much as using correct technique. Wing Chun is incorrect technique. Put a snap of your shoulder and hips into your punches. Outside of using more hip/shoulder movement and putting your bodyweight into your punches, just hit a heavy bag 30 minutes a day.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

1. Join a boxing gym and learn how to throw real punches.
      Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

You throw 2000 punches at a time?
        “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Actually, I refuse to believe this is a serious thread.

boris
          london
          Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
            You throw 2000 punches at a time?
            Yeah, although I haven't been training that many punches lately. 500-1000 at a time at the most for the past 6 months or so. There was a period last year when we were throwing 2-3000 punches one night every week.

This is a serious thread. If people who train other arts want to give some of the methods they use to strengthen their punches, that's cool too.
            "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Comment

Well, I think your biggest problem is the wing chun power generating (or lack thereof) mechanics. You need to get more into your strikes than just your arm and speed. Using those types of punches against an individual with some sort of body conditioning or a person on a freak out will be useless. They will just bounce right off. It's like using a .22 against a tank.

Different people generate power in different ways depending on how they are trained. Mine for instance comes up from the legs, through the hips, then the upper body with an equal and opposite torque. In essence, the whole body is used in a committed punch.

Technique is ninety percent and strength is the other half.
              “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mantis. These concepts are in wing chun also(beleive it or not). We also generates power by striking while stepping forward.

Do you get power from torquing your hips in a boxing fashion? Like, pivoting your hips by twisting your back foot up and onto the toes. Or are you talking about some other method?

Comment

Originally posted by grond
                  Thanks for the advice Mantis. These concepts are in wing chun also(beleive it or not). We also generates power by striking while stepping forward.
                  Then why don't I ever see them employed?
                  Do you get power from torquing your hips in a boxing fashion? Like, pivoting your hips by twisting your back foot up and onto the toes. Or are you talking about some other method?
                  I am talking some other method.

Comment

I saw "_ing __un" and "punching power" next to each other and laffed.

Comment

I've been thinking about this lately because I feel like my punches aren't as strong as they could be. So, help me out! :)
                      Change to a school from the correct lineage.
                      Originally posted by The Wastrel
                      I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
                        Then why don't I ever see them employed?

I am talking some other method.
                        Can you describe this method?

Comment

grond,

read this thead: http://bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2842

and on a side note all of these wing chun threads and crap are simultaneously frightening and pissing me off.

Comment

Can you describe this method?
                            No, not adequately, it has to be demonstrated.

Read that thread I posted above. People there know what they're talking about.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I stopped at the third page, but its very good stuff. I definately don't want to get in a loooong discussion over the mechanics of punching. I'm just interested in learning about other people's drills or methods for getting stronger punches.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X