Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any accountants or someone that knows something about tips and taxes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any accountants or someone that knows something about tips and taxes...

Alright, here is the deal. Got my tax forms from my employer and they show me only paying $300 in Federal taxes and about $100 in state...however, in the mean time they have deducted about $3k in taxes from my pay check for tips. Why does this not show up on my W2?
    Any ideas?
    Anyone?
    WTF?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Why not ask them? If it's not on the W2 then the IRS won't know about it (unless they're filing as 1099 misc income for some odd reason???). Anyway. Maybe they're telling you they're withholding taxes but under-reporting to the IRS so they can keep the difference? That's not unheard of if your employer is a sleeze bag (like one of my early employers was).
    Last edited by katana; 2/07/2005 3:21pm, .

Comment

It should show on the W2. Either their accountant made a mistake or they are trying to fuck you. And by that, they are saying they are sending the $ to the feds, but they aren't, that's why it wouldn't be reported. They are pocketing your money, most likely.

The real bitch is that you are still liable for the tax on the income. If you got audited, you'd have a problem.

Sounds like a bad situation.
      “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Hope you have your paystubs. You may need them soon.

Comment

I knew my Jewish sense was tingling, but it looks like our hero is late.
          Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Tell your employer that your W2 is wrong, and explain the problem and have them issue another one. If they refuse to issue another one, or say theres nothing wrong with the current one, then:

Take a paystub and a copy of your W2 down to your local IRS Office, and show it to them.

http://irs.gov and search around for the office location. If theres not one, theres a toll free number to report tax fraud, and you might want ot use that to get info or try to fix the situation.

Comment

I'm betting it was a mistake. Even if it wasn't, and they are running some sort of scam, they'll tell you it was a mistake and rebate the cash or fix the W2 just to shut you up.

Either way, a visit to the IRS wouldn't be out of line, IMHO.
              Originally posted by pauli
              i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
              I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

Dont mess with the IRS(S) if you don't have to.
                Danger, Danger, Danger!
                “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Greese, it kind of looks like you have been penetrated by your employer.

The best possible solution is to crawl back on your hands and knees and beg for that money back, after all, pride is less important then money.

Comment

Yeah I will do that. However, I am not working by some fly-by- night venture. This is very large company so I don't think they are delibrately giving it to me with no vaseline, but yeah... it freaked me out.
                    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X