Review of "Budokan" the video game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review of "Budokan" the video game

I just downloaded and played "Budokan" from the-underdogs.org. It's a very old game that was apparently well known in its day where you get to play the role of a martial arts student in Japan. The game lets you learn bo, nunchaku, shinai swinging, and karate.

The engine for all of these arts is based a single action button and a directional command. For example, if you want to throw a spinning hook kick in karate mode, you push forward in order to do your massively telegraphic chamber, then you hold the action button, and while holding it, you hit the diagonal backwards direction button. As a result, your character will swing around in a nice spinning hook kick. Or, if you wanted to throw a front kick to the legs, you would hold the front direction button to massively chamber, hold the action button, and then push the diagonal downward button to apply a stomp to the knee.

I actually enjoyed working with this aspect of the game engine. It was nice to be able to direct attacks in different directions based on movement principles rather than having several button-activated or buffer-activated set moves. The game was refreshing to play in that it plays very differently from most contemporary fighting games.

However, there were some aspects of the game that are simply hilarious.

One aspect of the game was the vital importance of ki. In the game, you gradually build up ki with time. Your ki meter is cut in half every time you get hit and every time you perform a martial arts manuver that is not a block. The amount of ki in your meter greatly modifies the amount of damage that your strike does if it is successful. For example, if you throw attacks on an empty ki meter most of your hits would do anywhere from 75 to 175 hit points worth of damage. However, if you throw an attack when your ki meter is charged up to the halfway point, you can do nearly 1000 hit points worth of damage.

So, what this means is that for some reason you are *more* effective if you retreat, hang back, and don't attack, especially since attacking also drains your hitpoints. If you tried to open with a front kick and follow up with several punches as might work in real life, you'd end up doing paltry amounts of damage with your punches, exhausing yourself, and getting your ass whupped. See, it's not philosophical and dignified enough to string together combinations and have an aggressive approach to a full contact standup bout. And conditioning dosen't work. You will only have access to Super Asian Powers if you inexplicably avoid attacking and wait for the perfect moment to destroy your opponent with...[echo]IKKEN HISTATSU![/quote]

The other hilarious thing is that the point of the game is to get good enough at all the martial arts available to you so that you can go to the "budokan" tournament and try to be the champion. In this game, the "budokan" tournament is sort of like the tournament from Bloodsport in that characters from all around the world get together to beat the crap out of each other with martial arts. However, in the "budokan" tournament, firstly, you can only use Japanese or okinawan martial arts, and secondly...

...secondly, you can beat the crap out of unarmed guys using weapons! Seriously, there isn't, like, a nunchaku division, and a kendo division, and a karate division, etc. The way the game works is that you see a profile of who you're slated to fight next, and then you get to choose whether you'd like to use karate, kendo sword, bo, or nunchaku. Now, it would be one thing if game balance worked out so that each of these approaches had an equal power level. But, that isn't the case. Much like in real life, the unarmed karateka dosen't have much of a chance against someone assaulting him with a blunt object. So you get these absolutely ridiculous humor matches where you fight a guy who is using karate but he has no chance at all as you mercilessly beat him down with a kendo sword or some nunchuks. It's so sad and so over the top that I couldn't stop laughing. Like, the karate guy shuffles in, and you clock him over the head with your nunchucks. He tries to attack, but you clock him with your nunchuks. He tries to back away, you clock him with your nunchucks. All you have to is just hold down the attack button and he practically loses automatically.

So, all in all, I recommend downloading Budokan for a good laugh and a moderately fun fighting game.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

I downloaded the game...and for some odd reason the files wont load into DOS....got any suggestions?

Comment

Well, I have winXP, and I just double clicked on the cracked .exe file. Once I was in the game, I found performance was very weird unless I disabled sound and music, and then it ran well.

Comment

I have winXP as well, but when i double-clicked the cracked file...all i got was it wasn't a file to be used in MS-DOS and prompted me to ignore or terminate the file

the end of each command line has a .com at the end....do i need to change it to an .exe or something?
        Last edited by BladeOverBullet; 2/05/2005 9:37pm, .

Comment

Were you clicking on budo.com? Because "fix" isn't the right one. Apart from that, the only thing I can think of is maybe redownloading.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant .com, not .exe. Heh heh.

Also, make sure you have dojo.dat and tourney.dat.
          Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 2/05/2005 9:39pm, .

Comment

it has a .COM at the end of the command line....does it need to be .EXE?

Comment

My bad...see my previous post.

Comment

Shit, budokan was the first game I bought for my megadrive.. that game was too good!
                I loved the crappy little plot where you're some washed-up bum and the master kindly allows you to train in his martial arts gym in Japan. It almost inspired my to become a homeless alcoholic so I could follow the same dream!!

And you're right, the Ki stuff is genius. In fact, in the Budokan event itself I think there's one opponent where you can do a single guard for about 25 minutes and then hit him with one strike and it's instant KO. Feel my cosmic power! Haha!

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered another old classic; Way Of The Tiger. Similar concept to Budokan (different weapons to use, ki), but this time you're a ninja!!! And you fight trolls and stuff.
                  I know it sounds too good to be true, but seriously the game did exist. It should be easily available to download from various spectrum or C64 ROM sites.. give it a go!

Comment

I don't believe the ki thing is quite right. Choose karate say when you go up against a karate. Chamber and wait for him to come into range. When he's in range, hit him with about ten front kicks in the space of a few seconds.

More strikes >> waiting for ki.

And if you think nunchaku vs karate was bad, try bo vs karate. :D

Comment

Play Neo Geo instead.

Comment

yeah stick to neo geo stuff, because let's face it, glitches and infinites are fun in videogames! :eusa_whis

*runs away very quickly*

Comment

I was playing this game today again on DOSBox and I got so frustrated when doing the karate sparring because at the Ikkyu and Shodan difficulty settings your opponent regenerates Stamina really really fast. It's possible to lose the match while still having done over twice the amount of raw damage as your opponent, according to the after match stats.

It's funny because even in real karate tournaments, full contact or otherwise, blatant stalling would be penalized, but in this game it's the offensive game which is designed not to work. I remember reading something about how the guys who designed this game were also karate practitioners. This makes me think that since they were obviously also programmers they were really fat out of shape karate guys. So, sure, when you're an overweight programmer who does karate on the side, the idea of throwing 15 kicks in a row might sound intimidatingly tiring....

I was thinking how cool it would be if someone could modify this game to make all the character you control really really fat so as to reflect his horrendous conditioning. It would be even funnier since you could then play the role of an overweight white guy at a Frank Dux style martial arts tournaments.

Then the whole thing about your video game character being 1.) way slower and 2.) having far worse conditioning than you do in real life would become enormously funny rather than frustrating.

It would even make the Ki thing funnier. Just imagine a fat guy with an extra large black belt that barely fits around his waist sweating, hanging back, and just retreating from you constantly during a sparring session.

You say, "What the hell are you doing!? Just attack already, you've spent the last 5 minutes running away from me!"

The fat guy says, "I'm building up my ki dammit!"

And after like 5 minutes of running away, he makes a single poke and retreat attack before avoiding you for another 5 minutes, with the explanation that throwing the attack caused him to burn up half his ki, so he needs to build up more.

Comment

Originally posted by Onny
                            yeah stick to neo geo stuff, because let's face it, glitches and infinites are fun in videogames! :eusa_whis

*runs away very quickly*
                            Taste my poisonous Warrot of death and agony!!!1!!
                            Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Comment

Oh come on. Kof98 is the only half-playable game on the neo. It's possibly the worst console ever in terms of volume of shit fighting games.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X