Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martial Arts and Job Applications - Bad Bedfellows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It shows discipline, effort, courage, follow through, drive, and a willingness to face a challenge.

Put it in Hobbies, unless you are appling in the LEO field.

Comment

Originally posted by bushi51
      It shows discipline, effort, courage, follow through, drive, and a willingness to face a challenge.

Put it in Hobbies, unless you are appling in the LEO field.
      Yes.
      As an employer, and manager who's done lots of interview, martial interests always look better in context. Length of training helps, because you are seen as soemone who sticks things out, and can handle adversity. Even if just starting, when asked why your answer should include phrases of self-discipline, fitness, broadening horizons, and even a competitive nature is seen as a positive.

As an interviweee, when asked about my listed interests in ma, I usually give examples of how my training has given me insights into conflict resolution, how it has helped with crisis management, and problem solving. . .especially under pressure.

`~/
      sigpic

Comment

BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

Having an interest in sports and MA tends to shape you up as a well-rounded individual. They give you character; interviewers tend to remember you better.
          Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
          I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
          what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Cage Fighter = Bad

Cage Dancer = Good , depending upon the job you're going for.

Comment

Originally posted by Meex
              Yes.
              As an employer, and manager who's done lots of interview, martial interests always look better in context. Length of training helps, because you are seen as soemone who sticks things out, and can handle adversity. Even if just starting, when asked why your answer should include phrases of self-discipline, fitness, broadening horizons, and even a competitive nature is seen as a positive.

As an interviweee, when asked about my listed interests in ma, I usually give examples of how my training has given me insights into conflict resolution, how it has helped with crisis management, and problem solving. . .especially under pressure.

`~/
              At my previous job, something my employer was looking for was someone in for the long run. The facts that I trained MA for 10 years helped, wasn't the only reason they hired me, but were impressed that anyone would pay for abuse that long.

Comment

Thanks for the responses y'all; keep it coming. Fitness, self-discipline, etc are certianly things that i will keep in mind.

OTOH, imo, there are a number of problems with me listing MA under hobbies/interests:

1. I am a noob at MA. Therefore, i have no MA accomplishments to speak of

2. I do mma. How does one explain MMA w/o making it sound violent? 'Oh, i spend my time trying to GnP' or 'I try to break bones' will certainly not cut it.

If i list down say, karate, i am quite certain that the person reading the application or the interviewer will not have to ask, 'What is Karate?' With MMA, that question will certainly arise.

What about the lawyers on Bullshido.net? How did you guys tell the recruitment manager that you spend your time trying to hurt ppl? (and still get the job)

Comment

MMA = result oriented, practical, do not waste time with the unecessary, modern, adaptive.

But if you are t3h n00b..... then maybe you proably shouldn't make a fuss out of your MA.

Comment

Originally posted by lwflee
                    Thanks for the responses y'all; keep it coming. Fitness, self-discipline, etc are certianly things that i will keep in mind.

OTOH, imo, there are a number of problems with me listing MA under hobbies/interests:

1. I am a noob at MA. Therefore, i have no MA accomplishments to speak of

2. I do mma. How does one explain MMA w/o making it sound violent? 'Oh, i spend my time trying to GnP' or 'I try to break bones' will certainly not cut it.

)
                    While training, you are constantly looking for an opening, be it grappling, punching, kicking, choke, whatever, ranges change constantly and quickly. This actually helps you to multi task and think on your feet. Portray it as a high speed game of physical chess. Try and find out what if any hobby the interviewer does, make comparisons(if possible). If their asking these kinds of questions, it is in a relaxed mood to get you to open up about yourself. If you can compare the joy of MMA with say playing hockey, or dodging your way down a football field, avoiding a tackle, it may make more sense to someone who doesn't do martial arts.

Comment

If you think that explaining martial arts is "GnPing someone" or "breaking bones", you have the maturity of a 16 year old. Even MMA is still a martial art...karate, jujutsu, wrestling, boxing...all of them started as a form of physical discipline, with the true champions coming from those who had the mental discipline to elevate their game. If you were an MVP basketball player, how would that help you in your job? It wouldn't directly, but it would show you had leadership, you excelled when you focused on your goals, you were a competitor and you could make snap decisions in the heat of the moment. THOSE are what you should focus on. If you don't want to call it MMA, chose a discipline that represents part of what you train and use that. Boxing if you do a lot of hand drills. BJJ, JJJ, whatever. They aren't going to care what name you give it.

As for being new...*shrug* Gotta start somewhere. Use other examples of where you have excelled and how they pushed you to want to challenge yourself physically as well as mentally.

I've almost always been asked about my interests. As simple as "what was the last book you read?" to "Where do you usually snowboard?" They don't care about the answer, they want to see how you handle an off-hand question, and want to see if you're lying about your diversity of interests or if you're actually an avid reader. I always have one "experience" for each of my hobbies in mind, so I can relate back to it for any question. Even if it's a 10 year old experience...they don't know that, so it's a valid reply.
                      Regards,
                      CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
                      One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
                      Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

IF you are having to ask how to explain MMA than you are probably not quick enough on your feet to have the questions brought up. Rehearsed answers sound rehearsed. Don't mention it.
                        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

My egs were made in jest; i was merely soliciting for suggestions. Now, if i do mention MA, i would probably say that i do a mix of boxing and wrestling.

I am tempted not to mention MA, however the sad fact is that between univeristy and MA, i have not had time for much else (read: i am a sad, sad person with no real hobbies to speak of). That would leave a conspicuous gap in my application and i am worried it would reflect negatively on me.

I could just put reading and going to the cinema, but aren't those oh-so-cliched?

Comment

My egs were made in jest; i was merely soliciting for suggestions. Now, if i do mention MA, i would probably say that i do a mix of boxing and wrestling.

I am tempted not to mention MA, however the sad fact is that between univeristy and MA, i have not had time for much else (read: i am a sad, sad person with no real hobbies to speak of). That would leave a conspicuous gap in my application and i am worried it would reflect negatively on me.

I could just put reading and going to the cinema, but aren't those oh-so-cliched?
                            Are you ashamed to be a martial artist or something?

Comment

Have any of you have applied for a white collar job and listed Martial Arts under interests? Do you think doing so will be detrimental to the application? Lastly, how would you explain why you are interested in the Martial Arts to the interviewer?
                              I've listed my interest in taijiquan on my B.S. thesis and have brought it up in job interviews when asked what my interests are.

Taiji doesn't carry the stigma of being violent, so it really wasn't an issue. I've found, since most of the jobs I've applied for are technical in nature, that they like that I'm interested in something that is more on the artistic side of the spectrum.

Comment

It depends on this...most of my accomplishments are academic. They see that and thing nerd. Then they see Judo/Wrestling/BJJ etc and they look at you as more of a real person.
                                They probably see a 100 people with the same academic credentials, but how many martial artists do they see?
                                And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X