Wood Beats Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Beats Glass

For a year and a half we have avoided property damage to the building I rent to teach in. That is until the past 30 days.

A little while back, one of my students got tossed, his foot hit the wall and went all the way through the drywall. So a little patching was in order.

Last night was staff night, which we normally do outdoors, but as it was below freezing, we kept it inside. I have a shortened jo staff that is basically just long enough for my hands to be positioned properly for the entire kata, without the extra length, for just such cases. Turns out it is an inch too long.

For the record, let me state that I thought flourescent lights were made of sterner stuff.

during an overhand strike, going incredibly slowly, I tapped a light. Shower of glass and white powder later, I'm shaking the crap out of my hair and gi.

Suffice to say we call it a night, it took three of us an hour to sweep, vacuum, and mop the mats to get all the glass up.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Speaking of wepons work inside. It doesn't take a person long to be on super alert when a bunch of weapons are being used in a confined area, especially by beginners.

Nothing will sober you up faster than an axe flying across the room and sticking in the wall.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
      Nothing will sober you up faster than an axe flying across the room and sticking in the wall.
      Aiyee! *Clutches purse*

Comment

We break at least 2 flourescent lights a month. I've broken 4 myself just with a rope dart. We've done it so often we can clean the floor in about 15 minutes and get back to practice.

1 hour? Amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
          Speaking of wepons work inside. It doesn't take a person long to be on super alert when a bunch of weapons are being used in a confined area, especially by beginners.

I had to make my daughter and another girl sit for a bit when they got a little too rambunctious with the staffs last night.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
          We break at least 2 flourescent lights a month. I've broken 4 myself just with a rope dart. We've done it so often we can clean the floor in about 15 minutes and get back to practice.

1 hour? Amateur.
          My intent is to be more than just dangerous to flourescent lights.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
          -Don Gwinn

Comment

Originally posted by MasterKiller

1 hour? Amateur.
            You guys suck. In high school we used to have competitions between classes to see who could create the most fucking havoc before getting busted by the teachers. We went fucking crazy. We had guys standing at the doorway of the classroom and kicking soccer balls at full strength into random directions into a crowded noisy classroom, seeing if we could hit or break anything. We shattered flourescent lights so often that we had clean up and removal in under 3 minutes (someone ran for the broom and dustpan, everyone else crowded around and acted nosy) and we had to pray the teachers didn't look in the dustbin.

This is also the same school where we put a hole in the wall of our classroom by wrestling, and proceeded to cover it up by putting a poster over it. We got busted for that one.

And in other news, while playing Samurai with my hockey stick inside my new apartment, I managed to put a hole in the wall with an errant swing within 3 days of moving in, and managed to shatter a light by underestimating how low the ceiling was. Took me most of the year to get around to fixing that stupid light..
            Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
            I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
            what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

So you broke a glass with a wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out
                So you broke a glass with a wood?
                Yeah, kind of like those little plastic animals from when I was a kid ya know. Like Water beats Fire, Fire beats Wood, Wood beats Glass, Glass + Vodka beats Me.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Comment

I'm a Rock kinda guy myself...
                  Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                  what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Spock beats rock.

I think.

Comment

Paper beats Rock dumbass.

Comment

There was some expanded version of Rock, Paper, Scissors that had Spock, and some other things. It was teh crazy.

Comment

Dude, Shovel. Shovel beats rock, and you can't beat it with scissors.

Comment

My chi magic beats your shovel.

Comment

I block your chakras with a secret kung fu technique taught to me by an aged and wizened old man who needed to pass on his secrets to the next generation.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X