Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Cross train?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why Cross train?

    From this thread :

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...2&postcount=55

    Strong machine makes a valid point.

    Why cross train in different arts ?
    Why go from one school to another to another to learn how to fight?


    One answer is that of specialiazation.
    A school of BJJ is specializes in ground grappling and are, argualbly< the best in the business, but their striking sucks ass.
    Muay Thai strikers are reknow and feard, but can't grapple their way out of a torn condom.
    Yet together, they are better than apart, though even apary they are still very good.

    But do you think you can get that kind of quality of striking AND grappling in a school that is a "jack of all trades and master of none" ??

    #2
    It's rather a contraditory statement, in my opinion. Decent MMA schools incorporate different martial arts into one "system". Essentially, MMA IS crosstraining. Do you not train striking only sometimes, grappling only at other times and mix them on yet other times? Do you sometimes only box when striking and sometimes kickbox?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

    Comment


      #3
      I don't wanna speak for Strong Machine but I think he was refering to those who learn striking at one school and ground fighting at another and throwing at another, gi grappling at A) and no-gi at B), etc.

      I think that, its very hard to find a MMA gym that can give you the quality of instruction in a given area that you may need work on.
      For example:
      Very few, if any, MMA gyms can offer the grappling ground work that a BJJ school can offer in terms of quality.

      Comment


        #4
        Why cross train?
        "because your art suck and mine is better" blah blah blah

        :boxing:


        :happy3:
        Ghost of Charles Dickens

        Comment


          #5
          Because I want to collect styles like Star Wars Lego sets.

          Comment


            #6
            Very few, if any, MMA gyms can offer the grappling ground work that a BJJ school can offer in terms of quality.
            Well, some MMA gyms actually teach Muay Thai and BJJ. I think team quest actually has a Muay Thai instructor and BJJ experts, but I could be mistaken. I dunno about MMA only gyms that don't have BJJ people or Muay Thai people, i would think that they really wouldn't learn how to throw good kicks, punches or grapple well.
            "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Aesopian
              Because I want to collect styles like Star Wars Lego sets.
              Remind me to shove a lego block up your ass next time I see you.

              Comment


                #8
                I think people need to develop a strong base in ONE thing. Spend a lot of time doing it and then move on to the cross training. I have seen too many of these jack-of-all-trades types who are mediocre at best in everything, but will never excell.

                How do I explain this better. Look at todays top fighters. They all were specialists to some degree for a long time. Then they took up something else and got good at it. They continued. THEN they went into strict MMA training.

                My best example is someone like Randy Couture. A great wrestler who became a good boxer. Who then became a great MMA person. The worst examples are people like Shonie Carter, who never excelled at any one thing and are mediocre in all areas - thus they have no strong point to impose on their opponents. Look at the good guys they all have one dangerous thing about them. With Randy its that takedown, nobody can stop it - same with Coleman (once a champion, k?). Lidell is a great striker, specifically a counterpuncher. Nogeira has an awesome JJ guard. With any one of these guys they have a strength. A specialty. And if you let them trap you into their strength they ARE going to get you. If Randy had mediocre takedowns, mediocre Muay Thai, mediocre submissions, etc he wouldn't be a champion. He would be one of the MANY faceless fighters out there who simply cannot dominate or distinguish themselves.

                Fear my huge paragraphz~

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                  I think people need to develop a strong base in ONE thing. Spend a lot of time doing it and then move on to the cross training. I have seen too many of these jack-of-all-trades types who are mediocre at best in everything, but will never excell.

                  How do I explain this better. Look at todays top fighters. They all were specialists to some degree for a long time. Then they took up something else and got good at it. They continued. THEN they went into strict MMA training.

                  My best example is someone like Randy Couture. A great wrestler who became a good boxer. Who then became a great MMA person. The worst examples are people like Shonie Carter, who never excelled at any one thing and are mediocre in all areas - thus they have no strong point to impose on their opponents. Look at the good guys they all have one dangerous thing about them. With Randy its that takedown, nobody can stop it - same with Coleman (once a champion, k?). Lidell is a great striker, specifically a counterpuncher. Nogeira has an awesome JJ guard. With any one of these guys they have a strength. A specialty. And if you let them trap you into their strength they ARE going to get you. If Randy had mediocre takedowns, mediocre Muay Thai, mediocre submissions, etc he wouldn't be a champion. He would be one of the MANY faceless fighters out there who simply cannot dominate or distinguish themselves.

                  Fear my huge paragraphz~
                  Excellent, very well put, bitch !

                  On a side note, when you train to fight soemone, do you train to exploite his weaknesses or do you just train your strengths ?
                  This referes to competition only obviously.

                  Comment


                    #10

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Well, I was in Karate for a long time, but got pinned by a heavier guy in the three classes we did groundwork basics. So, I took up Judo because I realized I didn't know shit once I was on my back. However, this is after I had a (now nearly worthless) base in Karate for 5-6 years.

                      Given where I train now it would be downright stupid not to take both the striking and grappling classes since they happen at separate times and are both high quality. Yet, a lot of the BJJ students only do BJJ and the people in the Karate and Kickboxing classes will usually move around only between those classes.
                      Originally posted by The Wastrel
                      I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        So would you say that you are training MMA or cross-training?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Cross-training. There are no classes were I do both striking and grappling.
                          Originally posted by The Wastrel
                          I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I think that, you'll favour one thing over another naturally, even in a MMA environment.
                            Wither it be because you are better at it, enjoy it more or just plain suited for it.
                            Even within MMA there is specialiazation.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think that there is an immeasurable benefit to having one place where you can say, "We're in my house now, beeyatch."

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X