Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite thing about your gym?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favourite thing about your gym?

I like the way absolutely fucking everything is ALIVE at SBG. Don't waste your time with DEAD PATTERNS like breathing! Make it ALIVE by having someone jump you with a RNC the second you walk through the door. Unless you train at SBG you wouldn't guess that you can make ordinarily benign actions like tying your shoelaces or brushing your teeth ALIVE by being hit in the face repeatidly while you try it.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

I like the distinctive jungle atmosphere it acquires during the summer when a hundred people try to cram into our tiny basement dojo for Prof. Behring's grading week. It brings the Brazilian rainforest right to our school!
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/06/2005 4:52pm, .
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

There are no walls, no roof. If it's cold, we build a fire, if we are hungry, we do the same thing. When it's hot, your ass better get up quick, or you'll burn on the mat. Sometimes, you gotta kick a chicken out of the ring or shoo a horse a way, and it stinks on days the owner capped a deer.
      "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
      -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
      -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
      -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
      -Don Gwinn

Comment

The bar right next door has 50 cent drafts every night :)
        SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

The full-size boxing rink and inversion chair.

Comment

The fact that it's the only non-Mcdojo one in my crappy little city (that I've seen thus far) and that the people in it actually hit each other.
            Plus having the whole boxing ring thing is always nice.

Comment

I've no doubt that I have one of the best coaches in the area.

On the downside, I often feel that I'm inadequate and that I'm dragging down the dedicated people there.
              I feel slow, awkward, weak and skilless.

Still, I should be getting better.
              Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

That I train in a total McDojo. We rent space from an 8th dan in some japanese ju jitsu who has about a million questionable certificates on the wall of his dojo. My favorite is the Bujinkan one, which proclaims him a ninja. Another favorite is his twenty-five year old 7th kyu in Kyokushin. He has pictures of himself fencing with a tree branch in total seriousness. But most of all I love the culture clash between the BJJ:ers and the rest of the school. He complains that we don't call him sensei (because his master would not approve), even though he's taught us nothing. He commands us to fold our dogis properly when wetake them off for submission wrestling. His students get mad at each other in the dressing room when someone's gotten punched in the face during class. There are sais and nunchuks everywhere. Their JJJ black belt, who was also an instructor, who joined our class for a few sessions even had trouble beating me and my two months of BJJ, and got schooled by everyone else.

It's still an alright place to train though, and I'm happy that I at least have a dojo, but I wish we could find somewhere else. And even though it's McDojo everyone is really cool as a person, even though it annoys me when they talk about their harsh training.
                I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
                -Phil Elmore

Comment

i like the fact that the iron is rusty, it keeps the tetanus bacteria in but the queers out. also there's a powerlifting area

Comment

Originally posted by PoleFighter
                    That I train in a total McDojo. We rent space from an 8th dan in some japanese ju jitsu who has about a million questionable certificates on the wall of his dojo. My favorite is the Bujinkan one, which proclaims him a ninja. Another favorite is his twenty-five year old 7th kyu in Kyokushin. He has pictures of himself fencing with a tree branch in total seriousness. But most of all I love the culture clash between the BJJ:ers and the rest of the school. He complains that we don't call him sensei (because his master would not approve), even though he's taught us nothing. He commands us to fold our dogis properly when wetake them off for submission wrestling. His students get mad at each other in the dressing room when someone's gotten punched in the face during class. There are sais and nunchuks everywhere. Their JJJ black belt, who was also an instructor, who joined our class for a few sessions even had trouble beating me and my two months of BJJ, and got schooled by everyone else.

It's still an alright place to train though, and I'm happy that I at least have a dojo, but I wish we could find somewhere else. And even though it's McDojo everyone is really cool as a person, even though it annoys me when they talk about their harsh training.

I know what you mean. We train in a Japanese Culture Center, and right before our class is an Aikido class (not Te No Kage!-style randori Aikido, crappy Aikido). In the changing room, they see my stoner hair and gi with skulls and crossbones on it and they give me all kinds of dirty looks. I'd really like to see a challenge match between us and them, it would probably be funny.
                    sudo make me a sandwich!

Comment

The mats that breed new and unique forms of disease, bacteria and fungi non-stop.

Comment

Top quality instruction and floorboards that creak like hell and make you scared you are going to fall through them when we roll.

Comment

The fact that the guy is so friendly and I can lay the mats down whenever I want and train (provided there are no housewives doing Step or Pump classes)
                          Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
                          Scramble Stuff

Comment

Swimming pools, climbing wall, in door track, massive collection of weight machines, awesome mat room ^_^ lots of MA classes going on to keep me busy.

Comment

It is near where i live.
                              "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
                              - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X