Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think pro wrestling has its benefits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think pro wrestling has its benefits?

A good buddy of mine is a pro wrestler in a nearby indy league and I've seen him in a few brawls where he's used some of his wrestling skills very effectively. He's a big guy to be sure (about 6'4" and 275lbs) but he has on numerous occasions used his throws and submissions to good effect and it got me wondering.....

Who actually feels pro wrestling can be useful? I believe it can at times, as a majority of some of the techniques they use could be feasible if they applied enough force (e.g. arm drags, suplexes, camel clutch, surfboards, bodyslams, etc.) but there is their fair share of ineffective as well. Just interested in seeing what ya'll think :guitar:
    YES, it has a number of legitimate techniques that could be useful.
    22.22%
    Yeah, I guess, but I'd rather take <insert whatever>
    48.15%
    Nah, I don't think it would
    11.11%
    NO, it's all fake anyways
    11.11%
    I'd rather ogle at Koto's girlfriend than answer this
    7.41%
    SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

There are some take downs and submission holds that have their roots in freestyle and catch wrestling still in pro wrestling. And some wrestlers were trained as shoot style wrestlers in addition to being pro wrestlers. When you consider that along with their generally high pain tolerance, greater strength and conditioning than the average person it's not hard to see why your friend can do well in a barroom brawl.

But I wouldn't go to a pro wrestling academy to learn to fight.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Comment

Epsecially when the cost of most pro schools is more than the cost of an MA school, and the physical toll is a lot higher than in a martial arts school.

You go to a pro school to learn to be a pro, being able to fight is more of a side effect or accident (some guys will come out not knowing crap about a real fight).
      "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
      -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
      -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
      -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
      -Don Gwinn

Comment

I mean, it comes in handy if you ever find a iorn board around and you get into a fight.

Comment

I'm not saying it's the ultimate MA, I'm just looking to see what everyone's opinion is on it. I'm actually in trainin right now under my buddy, give me a year or so and I might get to go in the ring :) I mostly do it because it's fun as shit and it keeps you in good shape (picking up a 250+lb guy to bodyslam gives you a nice little shoulder workout). It's surprising who you see in the ring as well, there's some guy that's maybe 140lbs wrestling in there and he does pretty well. Most of em however are about my size (180lbs) or larger.
          SON OF ODIN

Comment

You'll learn to take a beating first, and that counts for a lot.
            "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
            -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
            -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
            -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
            -Don Gwinn

Comment

True enough, but pro wrestlers take too many chances to learn that for my tastes. Taking throws and falls in Judo is enough, without having to learn to take a northern lights suplex a thousand times. Way to many risks for the neck and spine for me.

Comment

I was a doubter myself until I saw Quinton "rampage" Jackson finish several fights with bodyslams. Now I'm a believer! The man makes regular takedowns seem like childs play.

Comment

The fact that they juice themselves too means they won't get freaked out by their own blood, but I do admit if they try some of the sillier things (one-handed chokeslam) they're going to be surprised. There are a lot of bodyslams they use however which could work pretty well provided you're strong enough and do it correctly.
                  SON OF ODIN

Comment

Rampage is a not pro wrestler.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden
                      Rampage is a not pro wrestler.
                      Sakuraba was though, and he was the Gracie Killer ;) Something to think about.
                      SON OF ODIN

Comment

Sak wrestles professionally, so does Josh Barnett. But both are also trained in fighting arts outside of pro wrestling. Sak is a trained shoot wrestler with an extensive background in submissions. Barnett is trained in pancrase among other things. Alot of MMA guys in Japan have also done pro wrestling, but their MMA skills came from other training.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden
                          Sak wrestles professionally, so does Josh Barnett. But both are also trained in fighting arts outside of pro wrestling. Sak is a trained shoot wrestler with an extensive background in submissions. Barnett is trained in pancrase among other things. Alot of MMA guys in Japan have also done pro wrestling, but their MMA skills came from other training.
                          Same with Judo Gene, he was a judoka then a pro wrestler and I still wouldn't want to mess with the man at all. I met him at a DragonFest some time ago and had my buddy film him tapping me out in about six different ways in under a minute :) The guy's great, nicest guy you'd ever meet but he looks like a raving lunatic in his pics when he's showing off his submissions.
                          SON OF ODIN

Comment

I only watch WWE for the Divas.
                            Originally posted by The Wastrel
                            I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Gene LeBell is a tough customer. There are plenty of genuine trained fighters who get into pro wrestling to make some cash. Bad News Brown was an olympic bronze medalist in Judo before he was a wrestler. But the question here is, does pro wrestling training make a good fighter. We are sorting of getting side tracked into, good fighters who are pro wrestlers.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X