Apple Ipod vs Sony Network Walkman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Ipod vs Sony Network Walkman

I've been considering buying one of these and I'm looking for advice. At present I'm leaning towards the Sony product... but I'd be keen to hear your opinions. Here are some of the Criteria I'm looking at and what I've learned so far:

Aesthetics - well I think the 'look' and user interface of the Apple are clear winners here, while the sony product doesn't look bad, the user interface isn't as good as Apples. The only advantage sony has here is its substantially smaller than the Apple equivalent.

Technology - Apple has been well behind the game technology wise with their computers and accessories for a long time now. They do a great job of marketing and packaging their products but the actual components they buy and use are some of the worst on the market. So sony is the clear winner here. Sony are using sony components... where as apple are using cheap taiwanese stuff. This is most apparent with the battery life... 30 hours for sony vs 10 or less for apple. And of course there is the whole issue of the apple battery dying permanently after a given period of usage.

Sound Quality - I have been assured that it makes no difference which player you use... its the headphones that make all the difference. The Ipod speakers of course look cooler but once again sony have better technology in their speakers. This isn't so much of an issue for me though as I have a pair of Bang and Olufsen headphones which I'd use in place of either.

Software interface - this is one of the areas I know little about. so any advice here would be good.

So I'm leaning towards sony but if people will be generous with advise, it would help me further to make a decision.

Also who would win in a fight between Apple and Sony?

Comment

Hey mate, i've looked into getting the sony player as well but the big deterrant for me was spotty support for the mp3 format. Used to be you had to convert any existing mp3s you had into sony's format. I currently own a gen2 20gb ipod, i'll try give a short rundown on the points you mentioned.

Aesthetics - personal preference, but yeah...the reason I was looking for a new player was basically the ipod is too big for my tastes now, I was after something that i could hang on my keychain (checked out some of irivers models, they dont look to bad).

Technology - Battery has been the only tech issue ive had with the ipod, and even then it's not really a major one (for me). After about 2 years if heavy use my battery life has gone down to about 2 hours on full charge, I don't mind. Another thing is the newer sony models' memory is expandable via duo pro memory sticks (big plus in my eyes, as I have heaps of the little buggers lying around).

Sound Quality - Yeah, get some good headphones.

Software interface - I've only ever used ephod for ipod on windows machines, never had any problems, no install worries, but it depends on what you want the software to do. Basically I did all the sorting myself and just used the software to upload to my ipod.

hope that helps.

Comment

Rio Karma.

Plays more formats and I like to stay away from companies that are sooooo DRM friendly.

I would not buy either a Sony or an iPod even if they were the only two on the market.

Edit: www.newegg.com is a good place to look for such things. Great computer product site.

Comment

ipod is fucked up. everyone that i know who has one, including my brother, has had to send it for service

Comment

Like ^^ said. The battery on those things die after a few months. If you're not buying a computer or design programs...DON'T go Apple.

Comment

My Ipod aside from a few quirks has been working fine. It's a 3rd gen. I'm guessing they ironed out some of the problems of the previous models. The sound quality is definitely in the headphones, I just bought a pair overseas and they're great (Sony MDR-055.) I can't say much for Sony as I don't have one, but they're other products are awesome.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

I own two Ipods, one 2nd and one 3rd generation. The only thing I've had to do was replace the battery in the 2nd generation Ipod. 50 bucks and 10 mins, no big deal.

But with that said, I would never buy any 1st generation stuff.

Buyers of 1st generation technology = Beta testers

And I would never buy anything that won't play MP3s. I actually prefer Oggs files, which my P900 cell phone plays, but I'll accept MP3s as a minimum requirement.

Comment

If you are really an audiophile you will want a player that can play FLAC files.

These files are compressed but it uses LOSSLESS compression.

Huge files but just like a CD.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Ehh... I thought that mp3 was the pinnacle of audio. How do you lose audio quality in mp3 compression?

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Originally posted by j416to
                      I own two Ipods, one 2nd and one 3rd generation. The only thing I've had to do was replace the battery in the 2nd generation Ipod. 50 bucks and 10 mins, no big deal.

But with that said, I would never buy any 1st generation stuff.

Buyers of 1st generation technology = Beta testers

And I would never buy anything that won't play MP3s. I actually prefer Oggs files, which my P900 cell phone plays, but I'll accept MP3s as a minimum requirement.
                      while this is generally true, my 1st gen nomad jukebox has had not one problem, even after abuse. of course, i've updated it with all the released firmware updates.

Comment

Originally posted by AkiraMusashi
                        Ehh... I thought that mp3 was the pinnacle of audio. How do you lose audio quality in mp3 compression?

I don't like mp3s because they are proprietary and they don't sound so super good.

In order to get the files that small all those lossy compressions drop out parts of the songs. Supposedly it drops out bits that are inaudible to the human ear.

Have you ever seen how big a wav file is??? They are huge!

They get them down so small as mp3s or ogg or whatever by dropping shit out.

Check out the faqs: http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html...lowest_bitrate

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp

I much prefer ogg to mp3... It is open source.

Comment

MP3s are no where near the pinnacle of audio...

They are just what was widely adopted early by consumers so it is what is used.

Like VHS vs. Beta Max.

I think Beta Max was technologically superior but VHS drove it out of the market because that is what people used so that is what companies produced.

Comment

Well what makes FLAC better?

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Well what makes FLAC better?
                              Lossless quality. I said if you are an audiophile. If absolutey you gotta have the best but still want digital audio files.

MP3s OGG etc. drop shit out. You don't get EVERY single bit of audio from the cd with them.

You do with FLAC. It drops nothing out. It only compresses.

MP3s and OGGs drop out bits that they think are inaudible to the human ear AND compresses.

Its above some Hz but I forget what the # is.

So if you want exactly what is on the CD with absolutely nothing dropped then that is what FLAC is for.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X