Wackjob Wisconsin hunter goes ape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wackjob Wisconsin hunter goes ape

Just when you thought the people from Wisconsin couldn't get any weirder it seems a group of hunters got pissed when they arrived back at a tree stand and saw another hunter up there. The next thing you know its the gunfight at the ok coral with the man in the tree sniping and killing 5 men with everyone's FAVORITE hunting weapon, the SKS assault-style rifle.
    The incident happened when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County and saw the suspect in one of their tree stands, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It's not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both men were wounded and one of them radioed back to the cabin. Other hunters responded and were shot, he said. Some of the victims may have shot back at the suspect, Zeigle said.

The suspect was "sniping" at the victims with a SKS assault-style rifle, Zeigle said. He was "chasing after them and killing them," he said.

The dead included four males, including a teenage boy, and a woman, Zeigle said. The man who radioed for help was not fatally wounded. Some of the victims were shot more than once.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s/hunters_shot

The SKS Rifle:

The gun is not the problem here...

Comment

What kind of rifle is that? Ok it's an assault rifle, but where from?

Comment

heh heh, "assault" rifle.

seeing as i want to steer clear of this type of incident, i went out and got me one of them non-assault rifles. it's awesome; it's padded in soft, puffy, powder-blue vinyl and only shoots candy. at children.

Comment

Kiozz: the SKS was what Russia used before the AK-47, I believe they wanted something with which to use the 7.62 X 38 cartridge because the AK wasn't yet complete. Semi-automatic.

Comment

I spent the summer in Eagle River, and I met some of the "townies." I am not at all surprised at what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
              Kiozz: the SKS was what Russia used before the AK-47, I believe they wanted something with which to use the 7.62 X 38 cartridge because the AK wasn't yet complete. Semi-automatic.
              7.62x38 or 7.62x39?

Comment

I just got back from a hunting trip in South Dakota and heard this story. Reading this before the trip would probabaly have made it much less enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
                  Just when you thought the people from Wisconsin couldn't get any weirder it seems a group of hunters got pissed when they arrived back at a tree stand and saw another hunter up there. The next thing you know its the gunfight at the ok coral with the man in the tree sniping and killing 5 men with everyone's FAVORITE hunting weapon, the SKS assault-style rifle.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s/hunters_shot
                  Yo Peedee, unless specially modified, 1) the SKS does not have a detachable box magazine, 2) Does not have a collapsable stock, pistol grip, flash supressor, or other paraphanalia which is used in legislation to define "assualt rifles". 3) It does typically have a bayonet, I don't think that this was the problem here.

In summary, its a WWII, soviet design, semi-automatic rifle, which cannot be loaded with more then 10 rounds at a time. (Incidently this is the limit for pistol magazine capacity imposed by the brady bill) I recognize that you follow the Violance Policy Center "line" unquestioningly but will you stop calling almost every rifle you see"an assault weapon" your robbing your readers of brain cells. :mumum:

Comment

The cop in the story called it an "assault-type rifle" so it may have been modified...but as Samuel said, it's not an assault rifle unless you modify it.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6551094/
                      Last edited by punchingdummy; 11/22/2004 11:23pm, .

Comment

Violence like this rarely just happens...there are almost always warning signs along a continuim which eventually leads to violence. The fact that this guy had threatened to shoot his wife, had a history of recent domestic violence and still had legal access to an SKS is tragic. The system failed.

Comment

The SKS fires a 7.62X39 round.

Which is roughly a .30 cal.

I didn't think they made a 20 round clip. I know they make a 15 round clip, and a 30, but I've been told the 30 round clips are pieces of shit. So why pay to modify a 10 round to a 15 round?

Comment

Actually a clip is simply a string of five or so bullets that are held together with a temporary fastiner,(sp) while a magazine is a metal, or fiberglass, reusable box that is directly attached to the gun itself. Clips were often used with bolt action rifles where one would open up the top loading magazine and slide a clip in. I have seen SKS's modified from having a non-detatchable, top loading magazine, to having a detachable 20 or 30 round magazine but this is rare and the result of paying a gunsmith. (and the SKS is no longer an inexpensive rifle) I suspect what is happening here is that the perp reloaded his top fed magazine once, and having used 20 bullets, the media is jumping to the assumption that he shot all his ammunition without reloading and therefore was using an extended magazine.

Now if someone can find a picture of this weapon and post it, it will be easy to see if it is a modified SKS or a regular SKS and I can shut my piehole.

Comment

Originally posted by punchingdummy
                              7.62x38 or 7.62x39?
                              Arrggh, a typo.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X