Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disciple
    replied
    And as far as TKD sparring goes, I was a badass.
    stold3, your humility is overwhelming.

Leave a comment:

• Boogers
    replied
    I find that it is best to dig into whatever you want with TKD. For crying out loud, you may say many of the kicks are 'BS on the street' but wouldn't it be awesome to have the options available to you?

I drive my wife nuts with my neverending research into martial arts, but one thing I know is applicable to everything in life is; know the basics and know them like you breathe, but fancy things add the spice and adaptability to facing the mastery of a situation.

But first, for goodness sake, get the basics right!!!!:rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Moleculo
    replied
    Not all WTF afilliated schools are crap but the overwhelming majority focus on the sport aspect to the exclusion of practical application and "reality" training.
    After being involved in various arts over a 20 year period
    I decided(at 40) to try TKD which is something I had never trained in.
    I think I wanted to master some of the flying, jumping, spinning kicks since all I had ever trained for was that which fell into the category of "Is it street-worthy?".
    I happened upon a WTF school that is quite different that the usual sport oriented only ones I hear about constantly. They are more interested in finding out what your goals are as a martial artist and the training is decidedly diverse.
    I would not recommend a newbie learning TKD if they are interested in learning how to defend themselves in real life situations since most of the schools are doing nothing more than training kids to play a sophisticated game of tag. Much to my surprise my instructor brought in two Machado blackbelts to teach us some of the basics of BJJ. I plan on getting at least a blue belt in BJJ to supplement my grappling knowledge.
    I hear that my instructor used to carry around a bamboo cane that he used to beat his students with but he stopped that because American students are inherently lazy and they were dropping out right and left. Martial arts used to be so much cooler. It's sad that ther are so many schools with such low standards.

Leave a comment:

• KageReaper
    replied
    yeah, if for nothing but a better control of your kicks(if you find a good school or training partner) TKD is not bad to check out. if only I could just work out with them and skip the belt crap and i'd be happy..but the school here wants the money. Offering yourself up as the "sacrifical" sparring guy doesn't work lol

Leave a comment:

• Mangetsu kai
    replied
    I can't comment on what the fuck TKD because I've never trained in it, but I like that they do full contact, if slightly limited, sparring, whereas ITF sparring sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Orion
    replied
    WTF TKD - useless. Gives you a load of bad habits.

ITF TKD - worthy for your standing up, in the right school. Same power generation of good karate (whoop ass). Some really evil stuff.

What I don't like - too much time spent on forms in most schools. What I like a lot - extreme control over your kicks. You can do what you want with them.
    Well worth studying. I wouldn't use it as my main standing up style, but it adds up a lot.

Leave a comment:

• MaverickZ
    replied
    really?

Leave a comment:

• Mangetsu kai
    replied
    Hmm, sorry for not reading the whole thing but I have to disagree that TKD is ineffective on the street. Obviously all the high section kicks are out of the window but you can use anything else. I personally have used bandalson taerigi to the throat of a guy. Most people who say TKD is useless are people who pick fights and then try out all the fancy kicks. If you can't make a style work, then that is your fault, not the style. My main beef with TKD is that they teach hard style blocks yet don't teach hardening techniques...

Leave a comment:

• Dochter
    replied
    lots of belts
    pretty colors:

Many belts in here
    Not all equal nor of use
    Nice for all of you

Leave a comment:

• MaverickZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Osiris
    I was speaking in general. Given normal advancement in the ranks, on average, a first dan isnt shit. A second dan is a tad better, and a third dan knows what hes doing. Third dan is first degree as far as Im concerned. Thats why I donyt have a blackbelt. I refuse to wear the same sign as the people who cant even touch me, let alone beat me.
    heh, that's cool, i don't wear mine either, at least not at the tkd club at my university where i spend most of my time. i wear mine at my home school only, as a respect to my instructor's desire for order in his school.

i used to look at the belts and stripes of the belts of the new guys that came into our tkd club. now i just ask them to spar, gives a much clearer picture.

Leave a comment:

• KageReaper
    replied
    White, yellow, orange, green purple, blue, brown, red , red-black, black-white, black

Leave a comment:

• Stold3
    replied
    Not necessarily, from my experience every TKD school has a different belt system (go figure.)

We had White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, Black. What did you have?

Leave a comment:

• Stold3
    replied
    And as far as TKD sparring goes, I was a badass. I was a green belt whomping on everyone at the school. And I never did beat my master, I said ALMOST.

Leave a comment:

• Stold3
    replied
    My master must suck? My master was a three time world champion and a two time olympic gold medalist(not for TKD though.) He is just old.

Leave a comment:

• Omar
    replied
    That's why the organization is call 'What The Fuck?'

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X